main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Naboo Rain - A/P, O-W, Dooku - (Complete) Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Reihla, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Part 5

On the other side of the palace, in her Senatorial suite, Padmé Skywalker stood before a mirrored wall. In the past two hours she?d managed to try on at least fifteen different dresses. The evidence was a growing pile of gowns strewn carelessly in the walk-in closet to her right. She chewed her lower lip thoughtfully before releasing a pent-up breath.

Her handmaiden and bodyguard, Dormé, sat on the bed behind her. She smiled indulgently at her Lady?s audible sigh.

?How nice that my suffering can amuse you, Dormé.? Padmé muttered, meeting her retainer?s steady gaze in the mirror. The smile disappeared as quickly as it had come, but clearly not without considerable effort. The brown eyes, so like Padmé?s own, still sparkled with humor.

?I?m sorry m?lady.? The apology, though softly and sincerely uttered, lacked conviction.

Padmé Amidala Skywalker had lived in the spotlight all her life. While still in primary school she had entered Naboo?s Legislative Youth program only to rise quickly through its leadership ranks courtesy of wisdom far beyond her years. At the tender age of 14 she had found herself the elected and crowned Queen of her entire homeworld. After two four-year terms, she?d looked forward to retirement from the political arena only to once again find herself drawn into public service, this time as a Republic Senatorial representative. Today, however, the self-confidence that had always seemed her trademark was conspicuously absent.

?Matching wits with interplanetary leaders, leading peace negotiations for the entire galaxy and influencing the combined governments of millions of worlds comes easily to me. Why am I having so much trouble picking a gown?? Frustration laced her voice.

?Perhaps my hair is the problem. Does it go with this dress? Or is it too casual? Do you think I have time to redo it? Maybe sweep it all up?? She turned her head from side to side, pulling her hair up and away from her neck before letting it fall back down in a shining cascade of sable curls. Her reflection showed a simple, but elegant hairstyle comprised of numerous delicate ropes of hair twisting away from a center part to be drawn back into a golden clip above the curls at her nape. Not even an hour ago Dormé had heartily approved the style for it?s combination of regal sophistication and allure.

?M?lady, you and your husband have been separated a very long time. He?ll be so thrilled to see you that you?ll be lucky if he even notices you have hair.?

Padmé sighed again, and then smiled wryly. Her anxiety was beginning to ebb thanks to her friend?s gentle teasing.

Dormé was one of only two personal attendants in young senator Amidala?s employ. She was also Padmé?s closest friend. Of all the people in her life, Dormé alone shared her most secret confidences. In particular, only she knew of Padmé?s marriage to the young Jedi Skywalker.

Padmé was thankful for her friend?s unwavering loyalty every minute of every day. Her presence was one of few things that made Anakin?s absence bearable. It was strange, really, how she hadn?t recognized her own loneliness until Anakin came back into her life. Now her every thought, dream and goal seemed to center around him. Dormé could empathize somewhat with Padmé?s situation being married to a member of the Naboo Royal Guard. Her own husband spent many months at a time traveling to official off-world functions with Queen Jamilla.

As if Dormé?s trustworthiness and companionship weren?t enough, almost a year ago she had given her newlywed friend a most wonderful gift. With the unexpected help of Chancellor Palpatine (Anakin chose his own confidantes well) she had pulled off a feat that was nothing short of miraculous. She?d received a private communiqué from a mysterious source advising her of a mix-up in the Jedi Council?s itinerary log. The error would give Anakin two full days between his scheduled departure from the temple and his expected arrival at his next assignment. It hinted that young Skyw

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    From the moment Dormé handed her lady the message all other matters were relegated to the realm of insignificance. Everything, that is, except the critical task of choosing the right hairstyle and an appropriate gown.

I love this.. just.... perfect!

[face_love]

Keep it up!

3. NikitaSkywalker

NikitaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    YAY! They're together again!

Liked the interaction with Dorme - and her own separation from her husband. Nice touch.

4. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Oh wow, this just keeps getting better and better! I loved Padme fussing over her hair and gown and Dorme pointing out that Anakin might not notice that she had hair lol.:) I also liked how your brought Palpatine into the story, nicely done on all counts.

5. Yoda-Feet

Yoda-Feet Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    I really like this!

Your descriptiveness is one of your strengths, it creates such beautiful imagery! [face_love] I wish I could say the same about my own writing, because i have such a difficult time describing things...

I hope you continue to post often- I'm looking forward to more!! :D

MTFBWY-

-YF

6. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi, Reihla,

I just began reading your story, and I wanted to tell you how wonderful it is. Your characterizations are perfect, the descriptions are vivid, and I love how you're able to use what we know of the characters' history and personalities to explain their actions.

The argument between Anakin and Obi-Wan was just heartbreaking. It's so sad that they couldn't connect earlier. Even though they both love one another, their different ways of thinking and expressing their emotions have caused an unbridgeable chasm between them.

And I enjoyed Padme's excitement and nervousness at being reunited with Anakin again. And how clever to show Palpatine pretending to helpful when we all know he's playing them both like violins. I'm afraid to see what he's going to do with the knowledge.

Looking forward to more.

Kristeh

7. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Hiya DarthBreezy, NikitaSkywalker and JDH3! Thanks for sticking with me on this one and for continuing to comment :D

Welcome Yoda-Feet & Kristeh! Glad you stopped by :)

Descriptiveness has always been one of the weakest aspects of my writing. I have a bad habit of assuming my reader lives in my head, so I really struggle to compensate for that. Thanks for letting me know I'm doing OK.

I love how you're able to use what we know of the characters' history and personalities to explain their actions.

That is really why I started writing this story in the first place. I enjoy idle speculation on how their experiences effect their choices. My heart breaks for Obi-Wan and Anakin because I know where they're headed. I've been obsessed for years with how they get to that point, so writing their interaction is like therapy for myself.

Thanks for the great feedback!

8. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I have enjoyed this story. I like how you handle the interaction between the various characters.

9. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Part 6

The passing of several hours found them huddled under the covers of Padmé?s bed. Jedi garments were strewn carelessly around the room and Padme?s dress was a puddle of maroon silk on the floor.

?I can?t believe it. I spent hours choosing the right dress and you have me out of it in under two minutes.? Padmé teased her husband, pretending an ire she obviously didn?t feel.

Anakin, lying beside her, perched on his elbow to gaze down into her face. ?Hey, I?ve got my priorities.? His face wore a very adult half-smile. Once it would have made her uncomfortable. Now it left her breathless.

He cradled her cheek in his palm before trailing his fingers down her neck. ?I didn?t take this off, though.? There, on a delicate chain, was the small snippet of japor he?d given her over a decade earlier. It felt like a lifetime ago.

?I wouldn?t have let you take it off. I?ve worn it close to my heart since the day we were wed.? She reached up to touch it reverently. ?Under the circumstances, its all I can wear to symbolize our marriage.?

?Oh Padmé, I?ve missed you so much!? His voice was husky, but fervent.

?Me too. I never knew I could feel like half of me just isn?t here. That?s how it is when we?re apart.? The teasing glint disappeared from her eyes, leaving a far more intense emotion in its wake. ?Even when I?m with my friends or family I don?t feel complete.?

Anakin couldn?t resist answering the earnest declaration with a gentle kiss. He pulled her lips to his, drawing back only when he felt he could trust his voice. ?I feel the same way. I?ve felt that way every day since I left Naboo the first time. It?s a hundred times worse now that we?re married. I finally know what I?m missing.?

Padmé?s eyes widened at his revelation. ?Anakin, you were only nine years old when you left Naboo with Obi-Wan!?

?Even then I knew I?d marry you someday. That fact has been truth to me since the first time I saw you.?

?Yes, I remember you saying something like that. It made me very nervous.?

?Nervous?? He tried to brighten the conversation, hoping to bring the carefree light back to her eyes.

?Alright, maybe nervous isn?t the right word. Apprehensive, then.?

?Apprehensive?? He responded to her words with what he hoped was an appropriately crestfallen expression.

She refused to take the bait and murmured. ?You were very sweet Ani, but you were just a child.?

?And you weren?t?? He sat up, preparing to feign indignance only to find he didn?t have to pretend. ?Padmé, there has never been that much difference in our ages.?

?I know it doesn?t matter now, but it did when I was fourteen. I was a Queen with an entire planet depending on my judgment and maturity.? She pulled herself up beside him. ?I didn?t have time for girlish dreams of romance.?

He sighed dramatically. ?I know, but it?s cruel of you to remind me. To know you never thought of me that way while I dreamed about you for ten years?? The subtle, mocking tone had re-entered his voice, laced with perhaps a hint of self-deprecation. ?I remembered every detail of your face, every nuance of your voice, your perfume. Your subtlest gestures were poetry to me. I lived for any glimpse of you, any mention of your name in the media...?

Padmé giggled uncharacteristically at both his elaborate words and the sulky expression he?d affected. ?I?m not going to apologize, Anakin, but I bet I can find a way to make it up to you.? She trailed a hand down his chest and under the covers, glancing up at him from under dark lashes.

All thought of teasing fled Anakin?s mind in an instant. Longing borne of endless months of loneliness flooded back in a rush. As he pulled her to him and nuzzled her neck she was just able to make out the muffled words ?I?m sure you can!?

10. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi, Reihla,

Wonderful chapter. Yes, Padme worried so about wearing the right dress and then look what happens. All that trouble for nothing. :p

Loved the mention of the japor snippet and how that was the only outward symbol of the marriage that Padme dared to wear. I can't help but wonder how things would have been different if they'd been open and honest about their marriage. I really think that would have been the best course, even if the immediate consequences caused some trouble.

I do understand, though, how difficult it would be for Anakin to face giving up the chance to be a Jedi after all the time and sacrifices he's made for it. And Padme might have had to suffer unpleasant results, too, if news of their marriage had gotten out.

It's such a tragedy. :(

11. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Very nice post as usual, I just loved the sense of intimacy you created. A lovely scene that reminds me just how heartbreaking their story really is. Once again excellent post and keep them coming.[face smile]

12. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Crystal, Kristeh and JDH3. Nice to know someone is reading this ;)

I have a missing scene, of sorts, available to anyone 18 or older who would like it. It takes place between scenes 5&6 (I went back and numbered them so I could keep them all straight). I was writing it earlier, but got sidetracked by the next couple of sections and originally thought I wouldn't have time to finish & include it.

Circumstances changed and I had more time than I thought, so I gave it a rough once-over and thought I would at least offer it (by PM request only, with the requisite over 18 disclaimer) for those who favor a more...intense...look at A/P's romance. Just let me know if you're interested.

13. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Part 7

The following day their idyll began with a boat ride to the lake country retreat. Their first stop was the palazzo overlooking the water. As the site of their first kiss and, later, their wedding, it was even more beautiful than either remembered. The late season flowers had been planted along the walkways and splashes of orange, red and gold were everywhere. Padmé talked Anakin into swimming out to her island, where hours passed slowly and intimately on the beach. It never occurred to Anakin to protest the coarseness of the sand.

That evening at the chalet, they dined intimately at a small table by the fireplace. Though it was well out of fashion in elite social circles, Padmé wore the same black leather corset dress that she had worn during their last dinner here. The outfit had the same effect on Anakin as it had back then. Fortunately for both of them, this time they were free to act on their feelings. It was quite a while before they left the rug by the fireplace to return to the table for dessert.

The next afternoon they visited their meadow by the waterfall. This time Padme chose a spot closer to the water under the shade of a large golden-leafed tree. As before, they spread Anakin?s Jedi cloak and sat down to share a picnic. For a while husband and wife were taken back to the afternoon they?d spent in this same field over a year ago. Thankfully both had chosen more practical clothing this time around ? simple belted tunics in shades of blue. Rolling around in the grass was much easier without a flowing skirt.

For a while their fun was cheerful and carefree. Wildflowers grew among the long blades of prairie grass; filling the air with an intoxicating fragrance. Anakin idly picked a dozen or so brightly colored blooms and braided them into a small wreath.

?What do you plan to do with that?? She eyed the floral loop dubiously. Anakin leaned over and plopped it on top of her head, declaring her queen of the meadow. She laughed before firing back her own reply. ?I guess that would make you the king of the Shaak?s??

?Oh, no. Count me out! Royalty doesn?t suit me. Besides, I?m far better at riding Reeks than Shaak?s, which isn?t saying much!? They laughed like children, slapping and tickling each other playfully.

It wasn?t long, though, before talk turned to recent events and the subject of war crept into the discussion. To his credit, Anakin tried to keep things light. For the better part of an hour he sat against the tree trunk with Padmé?s head in his lap, regaling his lady with tales of recent space battles.

??it was incredible! We surprised an envoy of six Trade Federation command ships. Our snub fighters didn?t have the firepower to break the hangar bay defenses, but we did take out every gun tower and easily three times our number in fighters. My squadron didn?t lose even one ship.?

?They?ve given you your own command?? Padmé?s voice held only a hint of surprise. She knew her husband was an exceptional pilot, but command was usually reserved for seasoned pilots or Jedi Knights.

?Actually, I have twice the usual complement of fighters. Twenty pilots fly under my ensign. They?re all clones, of course - highly trained and technically excellent.? He twisted several stalks of grass idly in his fingers. ?The trouble is, they?ve done so many simulated missions that they can?t think creatively in live combat situations. I know they are organic life forms and I can use the force to communicate my will to them, but they still remind me of droids. The best they give is an adequate performance. They do only what they?re told - no more, no less. They?ll never be exceptional or heroic, but I can?t complain. Their ?adequate? has already been good enough to make us one of the most decorated units in the Republic fleet.?

He discarded the mutilated pieces of foliage by tossing them over his shoulder. ?Which reminds me??

Padmé watched attentively as he pulled a small holoprojector out of his pocket. With a flick of the switch h

14. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Very nice job of showing the flaws in Anakin's logic and his understanding that it's Padme's area of expertise. The way Anakin was lost in his admiration of his wife was wonderful. Nice descriptions of A/P reliving their past experiences as they try and reconnect. Well done once again!

BTW: I though that your PM chapter was quite well done. You'll notice my lack of laughter, public or private. [face smile]

15. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    [face_shocked] I can't believe I forgot about this story! Bad MissPadme! Bad MissPadme!

I've caught up now and it really is fantastic. You have the characters down cold. I also appreciate how you weave in the larger conflict going on; that's something very easy to ignore in writing fan fics. Including the background info and EU info was a very nice touch.

Now, I have to ask for that PM chapter [face_love].

--MissPadme

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    yes I'm here~ Thanks for the PM! (Both of them *natch) it was lovely!

17. returnofthejeni

returnofthejeni Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2003
    I love how you write Anakin and Padme.
    And your discriptions are really good.

Awsome Posts! :D
    Can't wait for more!

18. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi, Reihla,

It was a beautiful chapter. I loved how you showed the peaceful days at the retreat, and yet Anakin and Padme can't forget the war and turmoil going on around them.

Padme working with the refugees is right in character, as is Anakin's inability to understand the ideals of democracy. It's easy to see they're on a course for trouble.

Looking forward to more.

Kristeh

19. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks, guys, for hanging around and reading :D

I?m grateful, too, for all the feedback you?ve given. I haven?t done much by way of fic writing in a very long time. It?s been fun, stringing words together, and it helps to know someone is out there telling me they make sense.

I?ve really been trying to make an extra effort to read the boards and keep track of anyone?s work who reads my stuff. It hasn?t been difficult. You guys are amazing, really! A very talented and imaginative group of writers. It is often a real struggle, signing off from reading all your stories to work on my own.

Til later!

20. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    Wow. I just found this. Great stuff. Great stuff.

Characterization are dead on. As other readers mentioned, the section about Padme trying on dresses for hours and how her efforts were for naught was hilarious. [face_laugh]

I also like how you took the hints GL gave us of Anakin?s political idealogy in AOTC and further developed them to enhance his character. This last section makes Anakin?s upcoming fall seem much more believable. Additionally, it sets the stage for the rationalizations Vader will give Luke in ESB for the Empire?s existence.

More soon, I hope? ;)

~*Senoj*~

21. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks, Senoj. I'm glad that my perspective on Anakin's thoughts came through OK. I've spent a lot of time thinking about how he might fall and looking for a way to make it believable. I'm hoping if I can find a way to convince myself that "Naboo Rain" will ring true as well.

Hoping to post more tomorrow.

22. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I can see you have been busy writing. I've printed out the last couple of posts to read later (at work right now).

23. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    *catches up*

I like these reunion posts. Lovely husband/wife time together, and yet, there is the foreshadowing of the Empire when they are talking of politics in the meadow (again).

Nice to see some happy A/P, what with all these horrible spoilers there've been this weekend :mad:

24. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    As promised...

Part 8

Some time that night Anakin woke to the sound of thunder. Untangling his limbs from Padmé?s he rose from the bed and grabbed pants from the back of a nearby chair. He slid them on, tied the drawstring and opened the terrace door. A strong wind fought its way inside, whipping the curtains around him. Impatiently he tied the filmy window dressings in a knot and peered out toward the lake.

The downpour that met his gaze was spectacular. Such storms were a common occurrence here on Naboo, especially during this, the pre-winter season. This deluge showed no sign of stopping any time soon.

He leaned against the doorframe. As always, he found the sight of so much water falling from the sky mesmerizing. It was true that he?d seen impressive storms on other planets. Coruscant even boasted programmed rain cycles in its artificial atmosphere, but nothing he?d ever seen could compare to the torrent he witnessed now. The rain seemed to fall with a vengeance; it?s ferocity and power beckoning him.

Closing his eyes, he allowed his other senses to drink in the sounds and scents of the storm. He focused on the rain itself, dropping into a meditative state to try and feel each individual droplet of water as it fell to the concrete outside. It would have been an impossible task, even for the most gifted of Jedi. Still, it helped him find an odd sort of peace, as if he were somehow at the unaffected center of the tempest.

Eventually he found himself aware of his surroundings once more. A glance back at Padmé showed her sleeping peacefully among piles of covers. His throat tightened as he studied her face. This would be their last night together for quite some time. Tomorrow he would return to the Jedi Temple. He hadn?t told her yet, knowing it would cast a shadow over the remainder of their time together.

He was expected to return to Coruscant to help plan a pre-emptive strike on the Banking Clan?s homeworld, Munnilinist. In his head he ticked off countless excuses he could use for not making it back. None of them were viable.

A vivid flash followed by a loud crack pulled his attention back to the fury of the storm outside. His breath caught as blue lightning split the sky. Cold fear settled in the pit of his stomach and he had to force himself to pull air into his lungs. Unconsciously his artificial hand clenched while his body remembered another burst of hot blue light, then blinding pain.

He was startled back into the present by slim arms encircling his waist. Padmé?s reassuring presence washed over him and he forced himself to draw air into his lungs. Her silky robe cooled the electric fire his skin so vividly remembered and she pressed soothing kisses along his back between murmured words of comfort.

How did she always seem to know when his demons were tormenting him? Did she realize her mere touch banished them back to the darkness?

He turned and drew her into his embrace. How long they stood that way he didn?t know, but Anakin was able to close his eyes to the lightning. He let her presence work it?s gentle magic. Neither the horrors of the past, nor the darkness of the present could touch him within the circle of her arms.

Outside the raging storm gradually abated to a gentle mist. The deluge had ended, leaving in its wake the clean scent of rain on the breeze. He was overcome by the absurd desire to stop time. In that instant, he wanted nothing more than to stay here in their special place, holding Padmé forever.

It was she who broke the silence. ?You?re leaving in the morning, aren?t you?? Her voice was quiet and sad. He could tell she didn?t really need an answer. Though she hadn?t moved a muscle, Anakin felt her withdraw from him. A dull ache centered in his chest.

?Oh Padmé. We both know I have to go.?

She nodded, her face buried in his chest. ?Part of me knows. That part, the rational one, can even accept it on some level. The other part just wants to run and hide from the pain I know w

25. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    <--Wipes eyes...Wow that was very touching, great job. I really liked the image of Anakin listening to the storm. Great descriptions in this post, all in all the whole post was excellent.

BTW: As one of those who's story your reading, thanks for the warm remarks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.