main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Naboo Rain - A/P, O-W, Dooku - (Complete) Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Reihla, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    I finally made it back in here!

Heh, you'll never get rid of me, Reihla, dear. ;)

Good stuff in there. Your details on the architecture were quite beautiful, and I loved the way you wrote Padmé's reaction to the damage.

It flowed together, nicely, too. Interesting, subtle conflict you set up with Mace and Anakin about saving clones over citizens. Nicely done.

Ah, and that bit at the end between Anakin and Padmé was sweet.

Well done.

Ah, don't feel pressured to post. Quality over, erm, speed. ;)

~ats~

2. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    It would've turned out ever so much better for them anyway. I read a great fic once where Anakin did this - chucked it all and went to live on Tatooine with Padme. Surprisingly enough, it didn't solve all their problems.

Fernwithy/JediGaldriel's Outer Rim?

3. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Crystal!

ats - Interesting, subtle conflict you set up with Mace and Anakin about saving clones over citizens.

Mace just struck me as one of the few Council members Anakin could openly disagree with and have it not held against him later.

don't feel pressured to post.

Felt a little rushed, did it? It did to me too. I guess I should probably practice that whole patience thing. I always wanted to be a Jedi, but I fully recognize my own Sith tendencies ;)

Sock of DV
    Fernwithy/JediGaldriel's "Outer Rim?"

Yes, that's the one! I thought she wrote it, but it wasn't archived so I wasn't sure.

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Did Mace really say that?
    Well, I have only the films sans deleted scenes to go by - but I think generally, the Jedi Council actually had some confidence in Anakin in Ep.2. Yoda gave Ani the assignment to protect Amidala, Yoda and Mace spoke up for Ani to OB1:
    Mace:the boy has exceptional skills...
    OB1:he is... arrogant.. (condensed)
    Yoda:Like every other Jedi in the Temple (condensed)

So that line was actually quite realistic to me.

?You?re protecting soldiers while civilians are dying??
    ?We?re protecting the future of the Republic, padawan. There isn?t time to debate. I know Naboo is special to you, but we have to consider the greater good of the galaxy.?

This debate is one big irony. The mysterious genesis of the clonetroopers (WHO gave the order for the formation of the army 10 years ago? with whose authority? the contract involved money - who's paying?) has been swept under the rug for reasons of expediency. It's like coming home and finding a strange gun. You brood and panic but suddenly you are being attacked and the next thing you know you've picked up the weapon and you're wielding it.
    Mace's military rationale would, under normal circumstances, be brutally expedient but the Jedi and the whole war are just pawns in a big conspiracy. Protecting the clonetroopers will not protect the future of the Republic. The opposite, if anything!

Excellent post, Rheila. Made me rant ;) and you did a good job on the descriptives by the way - great visual writing.

5. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    the Jedi and the whole war are just pawns in a big conspiracy. Protecting the clonetroopers will not protect the future of the Republic. The opposite, if anything!

That was my thought as well. But then, I've always been extremely sympathetic to Anakin, so I usually try to write him as having at least a ticket to the clue bus. It's just that he's seldom interested in the same bus ride everyone else is on.

The trouble with messes like this is that both sides can easily justify their thought process. I think sometimes Anakin, with his different perspective on life, sees the Jedi far more clearly than they see themselves.

It's just unfortunate that he's grown up desperately needing - and often not getting - approval from those he respects. I think the Jedi will ultimately give him that (i.e. Mace's confidence in him), but it may be too little, too late.

Thanks for replying, Leia!

6. purpleMonkee

purpleMonkee Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2003
    gee, I havnt read this story in ages. Sory DRL has been force-choking me.
    I can see both sides, but in the end they are only clones. I don't believe in cloning, I am not against genetic engineering (as long as the environment is protected and ppl are notified of GM foods etc), but I think cloning is an abomination and am preference of helping the naboo.
    I think Anakin was very reserved about Mace's decision. At least the Naboo have anakin.
    sorry I'm really tired and so I wont reply about the posts inbetween this and the last time I did since I am too tired to readc them all now.

7. The_Bad_General

The_Bad_General Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2003
    Hi Reihla,

My darkside persona got loose again and decided to drop in.

I agree with you that Mace seems to be one of the few Jedi that Anakin doesn't have any real personal issues with. Anakin may dislike the Order (it's rules at least) but he doesn't appear to project much of that at Mace. Anyhow just popped in to say "hi" and don't feel rushed but I'm looking forwrd to more.

JD.

8. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Hi purple. Glad you could drop in, even for a few minutes.

General ;) Good to see you out and about. If it is an update you're looking for you've stopped by just in time.

I've been struggling with a short failure of imagination on this particular chapter, but I think I'm over it for the moment.

Enjoy!

9. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Part 16

Thanks to Dormé?s distraction, most of the Separatist security forces had moved to the hangar floor. Even the small squad of battle droids that managed to make it into the private hangar bay had found their way back to the lower levels, leaving the outer corridors into the palace relatively unguarded. Anakin and Padmé cautiously made their way into the palace.

It was obvious that the architects had crafted the building with the needs of Royals in mind. The Queen and her dignitaries had easy access to space transports from their private wings of the palace. Fortunately for Anakin and Padmé, this meant they would have a fairly direct route up to the Queen?s suite of rooms.

Direct, but not easy. In every hallway carbon scoring from blaster fire marred the polished finish of marble walls and pillars. Not a window was left intact, though it was impossible to tell whether that was due to blast vibrations or direct fire. Glass shards and rubble covered the floor, making walking treacherous.

Worse than the devastation around them were the scattered corpses of the Royal Guardsmen. Anakin would stop to read their ID tags and record their names on his comlink, knowing it would make confirming the dead and missing easier. A few weren?t military and appeared to be palace staff. Those they couldn?t identify.

Padmé grew more and more withdrawn. Though they?d found at least twenty bodies, so far there had been no sign of Dormé?s husband or sister. She fervently hoped for her friend?s sake that it stayed that way.

The strangest thing about making their way through the palace hadn?t been anything they?d found. Rather it was what they hadn?t found. They had yet to cross paths with even one battle droid or droideka. Granted they had come up the rear passages, but something just didn?t feel right.

As they came upon the Queen?s private wing, they could see an area littered with at least a dozen bodies. Two were obviously female. One was dressed in the formal gray robes Jamilla preferred for her handmaidens, the other wore a far more elaborate gown and headdress. Both bore the scorch marks of the laser fire that had taken their lives. Padmé?s breath hung in her throat as a feeling of dread seized her. Anakin walked forward first, bending down to the first of the guardsmen to record his identity.

Padmé could easily imagine the relentless onslaught of droid soldiers that had pushed this group to a final standoff. Solemnly she walked over to where the women lay and kneeled down. It was obvious that the first girl, the one in gray, was not Noalé. Of course, there was no way to identify her and Padmé hated that she couldn?t recall her name. The second, the one in elaborate dress, she had to turn over. Fear clutching at her heart, she took a good look at the young woman?s painted face.

She gave a sigh of relief to discover that it wasn?t Jamilla. That meant the Queen could still be safe. Saying a quick prayer that this anonymous handmaiden?s sacrifice hadn?t been in vain she absently wiped a tear from her cheek. It was entirely possible that the intruders believed the Queen was dead. That illusion, along with the number of dead might explain why the military presence in the palace wasn?t as tight as they?d expected. The hangar bay would still have functional value for invading troops. The rest of the structure would not.

Anakin?s hand on her shoulder gently reminded her that there was work still to do. There would be time to grieve later for these who had fallen in service to Naboo. She rose, noticing that the entrance to the Queen?s wing was unsecured. Entering through the open double doors, they were surprised to find the rooms relatively untouched. Padmé quickly ran to the back bedroom to check the hidden compartment.

A few moments later she returned. ?Empty.? The single word held a mixture of relief and disappointment.

?That?s one down,? Anakin commented, ?which leaves the Throne Room, the subterranean level and the garden. Given the lax s

10. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    Wow, that was a wild scene.

11. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    ?Dooku!? He spat the name.

Never saw that one coming!

Voices whispered in his head. Palpatine telling him to be patient.

Speak of the devil...well, kind of...

?You underestimate your worth.? Dooku evaded cagily. ?All will become clear to you in time.?

Yeah, I'd like to know exactly what he means, too, but I think you'll clear that up soon!

Up!

JS

12. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    DANA28 - wild. Would that be good or not good?

Jazz - Never saw that one coming!

Woohoo! I surprised someone :D

13. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It was Dooku?

:_|

I figured it was some Palpy-related Separatist actions, but it never occurred to me that it could be all a trap to draw out Anakin. (If Dooku is telling the truth here, much as he did to Obi-Wan in AOTC. A big if...) How awful...

Your descriptions of Padme's anguish at all the death and destruction were well done. So much pain. :(

I was a bit surprised Anakin left Padme behind so easily. I can understand that he's trying not to be rash as he was on Geonosis, but he left Padme (and three others) with six battle droids. So many bad things could happen while he is gone. But I suppose he knows Dooku holds all the cards... Poor conflicted Ani... :_|

Blasted Dooku! :mad:

Who, by the way, you wrote perfectly. He's such a great villain.

Please resolve this cliffie soon? Please? *drops to knees to grovel*

14. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh no !! Its a trap for Anakin. [face_shocked] I would have never guess that. Very good. Surprised me. Then we have that that that Dooku :mad: I don't like him, even though you did a good job describing him. I like to take a lightsaber to him and cut him down, but I don't want to be thrown against the wall by force lightening. :D

I now have to wonder what he is up to, but I don't have to have three guesses either to figure it out, but I think you may surprise me again. Can't wait to see.

15. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Dooku wants to take Anakin for a walk...Oh this can't be good. What in the worlds is the Count up to this time?! I'm a really big Dooku fan myself and I can't wait to see what you have in store for him. Your descriptions of Anakin trying to control his anger were very well done. More great stuff Reihla and I'm looking forward to reading your new story as well.

JD.

16. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    Don't worry, I'm still around Reihla! :D

I really enjoyed this last scene. You expressed Anakin's contempt for Dooku well! :)

?You underestimate your worth.? Dooku evaded cagily. ?All will become clear to you in time.?

So does Dooku want Anakin for an apprentice? Or is he brining Anakin to Palpatine? ?[face_plain]

Oh, the questions. Write more soon so you can answer them! ;)

~*Senoj*~

17. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Fantastic! That was such a good post :D

Your Dooku section was DEAD ON....he's calm, collected, gentlemanly, but brutal as well. And Anakin's confliction was also perfect.

Can't wait to see what happens between the two of them!

18. _across-the-stars_

Oct 14, 2003
    Whoa. That was unexpected. Although, I probably should have guessed it, since this is set between II and III, and there are only two naughty bad guys available. :p

Anyways, you had some particularly well-written Padme moments as she viewed the corpses of handmaidens. Very sad and poignant.

Your descriptions of destruction are quite good.

~ats~

19. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Hey guys! Thank you for the incredible feedback and for so many positive responses! It really does help to know where you anticipate this going :D

Darth_Lex - If Dooku is telling the truth here

Isn't it funny how the truest evil often does, tell the truth, I mean.

I hate that so much of this has to be real downer stuff, but that?s the way I can see things going before ep III.

I was a bit surprised Anakin left Padme behind so easily?.I suppose he knows Dooku holds all the cards

You?re right in that he probably should?ve had a harder time with it, but Dooku had already told him they were still useful, so he?s most likely counting on that.

I?m glad you like Dooku. He?s hit and miss for some people, but I?ve always thought he had far greater potential for evilness than we?ve seen so far.

Please resolve this cliffie soon? *drops to knees to grovel*

Aw c?mon, you?re making me blush here! Stand up already! There?s a good chance you?ll get your way. ;)

Crystal - I like to take a lightsaber to him and cut him down, but I don't want to be thrown against the wall by force lightening.

Ah, so you should petition your friendly neighborhood writer (who loves bribes, btw) to insert scene where a mysterious girl Jedi jumps out of the bushes and starts taking him apart with her saber piece by piece, ducking the lightning at every turn. Sounds like fun to me! Anyway, I hope I can continue to surprise you.

JD ? Dooku wants to take Anakin for a walk...Oh this can't be good.

No, it probably can?t. He is, after all, a villain with a penchant for seductive dialogue. I've noticed a number of us who have a fondness for those...

senoj ? So does Dooku want Anakin for an apprentice? Or is he bringing Anakin to Palpatine?

Hmmm. Those are worthy questions. I'm always happy to inspire speculation like this and I'm looking forward to trying to answer them soon :)

Rebelscum77 ? he's calm, collected, gentlemanly, but brutal as well.

Yes, the perfect scholar/shark. I?ve been reading up on Dooku, trying to figure out his motivations. Mace Windu has some great insights about him in ?Shatterpoint? that have been very helpful in his portrayal. Dooku isn't quite as vile as, say, Hannibal Lecter, but I can see the same air of polite menace about the two of them.

ats - I probably should have guessed it, since this is set between II and III

Well, I never came right out and said I?d stick mostly to canon characters, so the field was wide open. There have been some great original villains on the boards lately, but I?m saving that kind of real characterization work for something shorter than this has turned out to be. I have to laugh. I had no idea when I started that this is where I was headed. It?s like riding a roller coaster while you?re trying to lay track.

you had some particularly well-written Padme moments ?.Your descriptions of destruction are quite good.

Thank you muchly :) I think that was part of what kept me working on this section so long. I really wanted to try to draw the reader into Padmé?s heart on what little they?ve seen of the real damage. I?m glad you think it was worth the effort :D

Stay tuned for more!

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Late for the party again!

Loved the descriptions.. I could SEE Theed Palace... truely an important thing to have when writing, to compleatly envelop your reader in the surroundings!

Wonderful!

21. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    Good kind.

22. _across-the-stars_

Oct 14, 2003
    It?s like riding a roller coaster while you?re trying to lay track.

Excellent analogy. :D

~ats~

23. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Hi DB! Glad you could stop by! But shouldn't you be off in a corner writing furiously? :D Some of us are dying to find out what's gonna happen with "Knights..."

DANA28 - I was hoping that was the case. Thanks for dropping in, and for reading :)

24. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Great chapter! I never guess we'd run into Dookie on Naboo. You write him very well; I can just hear Christopher Lee's voice. Interesting to see what will transpire next between him and Anakin.

--MissPadme

25. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Definitely have to borrow from DANA28 - that was wild! [face_shocked]

Ode to the anonymous handmaidens. :(

Anakin vs. Dooku - [face_devil] :D

Even if Anakin doesn't shred Dooku into little pieces here, I'd be happy to see him at least take one of his appendages!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.