main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo 2008 - Post NaNo Depressions!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by C1-J2, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That sounds like a plan. Can you have someone give it as a lecture that one of your characters might be attending?

I made it to 35,108 today. Less than 15k to go! Somebody gets to die tomorrow - that should help me get there.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a big problem. At the moment I'm referring to my characters with their last name, this is fine for normal characters as there's nothing special about them, but there's a problem with the 'special' characters such as royalty and members of the religious organisation who have a title. referring to these characters with just their last name doesn't seem right but it also seems wrong to put their title and then their last name. I'll use my king as an example.

His full name is 'King Ralph Edgar II'. Calling him 'Edgar' doesn't seem right as he's the king as should be called king, but 'king Edgar' doesn't seem right either.

I'm at 39k and I know I'd get a lot of words if I made the change, but I'd also lose some as one character has a two word family name.

Any thoughts on this tricky situation?

3. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    27014 for me tonight according to my computer wordcount (though I think I'm tempted to go by the nano validator which gave me 27035 yay for 23 extra words!!!!)

must get caught up a little more tomorrow though

4. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Congrats, Peri! [face_dancing]

moose, is your story based on any particular historic precedent on Earth, or are you creating the world from scratch? I'm used to seeing royalty and religious figures referred to with both their title and first name, or just the title if it's obvious who is being referred to. Or does the king have some kind of modifier on his name that he could be referred to as, like Ralph the Great? That wouldn't help the other characters in the same situation, though. [face_thinking] Sorry I'm not very helpful.

I somehow managed to barely break the 30,000 mark today after a setback of a few days. w00t. :p

-Thumper

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's a mix of both to be honest, mostly things are Earth based and there's not particular world that this is set on. I'm used to seeing royalty and religious figures referred to with both their title and first name as well, which is why I might change it. There isn't really any reason why the characters should be referred to by their last name, the only thing is that I'd have to change every single name and I'm at 40k now, but then a quick search and replace will do it automatically for me.

6. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Finished with 31,114 yesterday. Hoping to hit 33k today if I play my cards right.

7. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    Went on a big writing spree yesterday (well technically this morning) until 4am and managed to get up to 41,000. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a buffer from now until the end. I just have to prevent myself from getting overconfident and slacking off.

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    48062 words. I am so going to make the 50K tonight. [face_dancing]

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Made it to 36,882 today. Not quite as far as I wanted but it was a busy day. At least I did above the minimum 1,667 or so.

10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    50089! [face_dancing] The first time in four years -- I actually made it. :cool:

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Congratulations! Don't forget to verify your novel between Nov 25 and Nov 30 to get your winner's certificate!

12. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Grats, Ceillean! :D Well done!

Keep going everybody, you can do it!

13. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    After sort of a slow start this week, I'm now at 38,072 and it's not even prime time writing hours, yet!

I'm so pumped, here's hoping to make 40k by this evening!

14. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    After a personal best one-day wordcount of 2326, I'm up to 33440 for my total. :)

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    After a few days of no writing whatsoever, I managed to continue on with my story, bringing my word count to 35089.

16. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Congrats, Ceilean!

Current word count: 32,668

17. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Congratulations, earlybird, jedi_peri, and ceillean!

*looks at calendar*
    *looks at own word count*
    *stares at white screen*
    *spaces out*

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Passed the 60K this morning and now just coming to the aftermath of the Jedipurge.
    And now the sun is interfering again.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Another busy day today. I didn't quite make the minimum wordcount but hopefully I'll make up for that tomorrow or over the weekend. I ended today at 38,536. I'm still ahead word-wise so I'm not worried at this point.

Just a note for those hovering around 50k - I've seen some threads over on the NaNo forums complaining about word counts between word processing programs and the verifier differing by quite a bit. You might want to aim for an overage of a thousand words at least to be on the safe side. Also, saving the document as a plain text file and using that for verification might eliminate some of the discrepancises that can be caused by formatting.
    And since the verifier is up now you can try it ahead of time to see how much it differs for you. I probably will over the weekend.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The evil day star has a lot to answer for. :(

Edit: Finishing the day on 42,451 words. I think I may just make this story last until 50k though I still have doubts.

If I'm close I'll just change my names around and see if that helps. :D

21. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Congratulations to all those who made!

To those who are close- you can do it!

Those behind: there's still plenty of time left!

I'm finally caught up. Not only that, for the first time this entire Nano, I'm ahead. This is a big deal because I usually get ahead on the first day and stay there.

Current wordcount: 82,530

22. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I have completely and utterly lost the motivation to write at 30,004. [face_tired]

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    The Muse went on vacation again. [face_tired] That or I just have too much homework that I don't want to do, and end up staring at my computer screen for x amount of hours. [face_plain]

24. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Tonight ends with 38,934 words and a great battle forming. It was going to be a normal sea battle, but then a bunch of dragons flew into the story.

25. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    DarthXan, it's okay. You've made it this far. If you feel you need to, take a one day and no more break from the story and give yourself a chance to rest. You've written quite a lot of words in a short amount of time.

Idrelle, I'm in the same situation. So I told myself that I'm not allowed to work on the novel until the homework is finished. Good luck getting the Muse back!

I have homework. I have a cold. And I'm still writing. Somehow. 8-} I also finished Part One!

Current word count: 34,615

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.