main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo 2008 - Post NaNo Depressions!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by C1-J2, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Now at 76K and still having to write that escape of the Falcon and some more. Editing and editing and it keeps expanding.[face_whistling]

2. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Over a million words?! That's awesome!

Don't be. I've had the idea in my head for about six years and knew pretty much everything that would happen save for the last 20k or so. I can also type, on average, 2k an hour. (You can blame years of Nano for that.) And I'm unemployed- I had the time to write.

As for post-Nano depression, I don't have it. Writing that novel was like pulling teeth. I'm relieved it's finished, at least until the rewriting/editing begins. What it does mean is that I can go back to writing Lord of the Rings fanfic. (Save for USJS, I'm just not that interested in SW right now.)

3. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    What an awesome final total word count! [face_dancing]

Post-NaNo depression? I've been too busy to have it! I haven't written one word of the story since I won. School and work consumed my life. :rolleyes:

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Perigrine - I got it. First I thought I had just left it in the car, since I use it to listen to music. But no. Then I looked through all bags and pockets again about to panic, when I found that wide open bag of energy-drops in the püocket wehre the stick should have been. I had managed to slip it in there.:oops:
    Here's hoping the story is now all enrgy and sparkles.:D

5. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, I haven't written a word of the story since the 30th either. Which is bad because the last 4000 words of my story are basically a summary of two-thirds of the plot I meant to go through (I know, I am fantastic at pacing, aren't I?) ... which I meant to go back and flesh out, but apparently not. :oops:

I'm just so busy this December - but I know that's an excuse... :(

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This is the first year I tried doing NaNo while having a full time job. Unemployment may generally suck but it's great for NaNo.

7. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Independence: Just because you had a long time to plan doesn't mean popping out 100K words becomes automatically easy! Of course, if I had an idea floating around in my head, I don't think I could stop from writing it...not for 6 years anyway. :D My SW Mania comes and goes too but I haven't tried my hand at other fan fic. I figure, if I get tired of the SW universe and I still want to write, I'll work on one of the non-SW ideas bouncing around in my hollow skull. :D

MsLanna: WHEW! Glad you found it! I would poo a brick if I lost any of my stories. Speaking of which, since they're only saved on my computer, maybe I should work on backing up my files, huh? :p

DarthXan: Sometimes fleshing out is more painful than writing the thing to begin with. You can get back to it when you're ready...if ever. :)

Laj: Yeah, I enjoyed my very part-time job while doing NaNo. 15 hours a week is just about right... a tiny bit of income (I sponge off my wife ;) ), and lots of time to write.

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't have any post-NaNo depressions, but the plot bunnies I thought of during the month of November are now forcing their way out on to a page... and considering I just sped my way through the last 20,000 words of my NaNo project, I really need to go back and edit it at some point before I post it, since it's kind of messy. :p

9. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    I still have a few thousand words, or most of the last chapter, before my story is finished. I really need to write them soon, before I lose all my ideas, but I've been so busy the last week trying to catch up on all the schoolwork I kept pushing off. I'm definitely not feeling depressed about the end of novemeber; it feels good to have a bit of freetime again. And it'll probably feel even better once I have a finished novel to show for it. Besides, in a week or two I'll begin editing, so it's not like I have to say goodbye to my characters forever. "This is just the beginning!"

I once got depressed when I lost just a chapter of story, so now I'm absoultely paranoid about it happening again. I found the best way is just to e-mail it as an attachment to myself (Gmail works well since they give you a ton of memory) every time I'm done a chapter. That way even if I lose every possession I have, the story will still be okay. Just make sure you don't accidently send it to the wrong person.

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I used to back up everything on CDs, but I don't have any here at school with me and they're expensive to go out and buy. I'm a penniless drama student with no job, I don't have a lot of money to spare. :p So I have everything backed up on my memory stick right now, plus a few very important story files at my Gmail account.

11. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Yeah I did that for a while too actually. When I was having issues with my old comp and my cd-writer drive, I mailed stories and kotor savegames to myself before the computer died altogether. :D I worried about sending it to the wrong person till I got a letter wrong and it came back to me. Then I just sent them all to non-functional email addresses so they'd just come back to me, then I could flag em there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.