main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo 2008 - Post NaNo Depressions!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by C1-J2, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    I say go for what ever you think you'll enjoy writing more for a month, Alexis.

I'm re-reading JA and JQ while outlining mine, and I just ran into something in one of the books that alters my original plot somewhat, so I may end up changing mine at least a little bit, because I don't want it to be an AU.

So it's over halfway through the month, how prepared are all of you? Or ar you just going to wing it?

2. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm a little sad that I'm not doing fanfic, but it's going to be fun to stretch my horizons and caffeine tolerance with original fiction... looks like it's a TOS violation anyhow and it's only in the plotting stage, before the evil writer can be let loose any further.
    I'm sharing the insanity of NaNo with a friend, who is writing a story in which the main character looks like a dropout from the college we attend. This is going to be an interesting November.
    And I'm the same name on the NaNo forums.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, crap. So, here's my thing:

This year, all year, I've been developing ideas for a dramedy YA novel in which a girl inherits a fairy godmother position from the aunt she always thought was just a bit nuts, not semi-mythical. The Guild offers to pay her whole college tuition, room and board and give her a stipend basically on the condition that she train as a FG in the style of National Guard (one weekend a month and two weeks every summer). Well, she is a starving student and figures there are worse things she can do than let someone give her a full-ride scholarship on slightly kooky grounds. She then finds out that her client is actually her freshman college roommate.

So, I've been working on characters and plotline and all that stuff. Then in the middle of the summer, my good friend AnakinsFavorite started talking to me about an idea she had for a novel dealing with the Shoah/Holocaust. I was intrigued and then surprised later on that summer when she asked me to co-author the novel with her.

The last couple of months have basically consisted of me reading about concentration camps, tracking down deportations, reading up on Nuremberg Laws, developing the characters of a Jewish stonemason and a German SS officer... You get the idea. I've read a 900-page comprehensive history of the Holocaust, am plowing through other history texts and memoirs. I'm even learning German.

So, that's taken up all of my mental energy for original fiction and then my CR for Fanforce said that we could have a Nanowrimo kickoff party after the Halloween party. All of a sudden, my first plot bunny kicked me in the shins and yelled "WRITE ME!" I then went "Well, this is like having one last fling before you get married." Writing the book that I'm researching for is a huge commitment of time, energy and especially my emotions, so tonight, I decided to participate in Nanowrimo this year.

Can I get my straightjacket now?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    *Hands you your camoflage pink straightjacket* Welcome to the club. 8-}

[image=http://s534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Alexis_Wingstar/?action=view&current=straight_jacket_front.jpg]

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ish, I was all set to write a historical fiction based on The Scarlet Letter and then I backed out because I wasn't sure I had all the research down. (I know I don't have all the research down.)

So I am doing a last minute change up and writing a fan fic I've backburnered for, like, forever.

I think I understand your feelings. You've put so much into the historical one, but the cute one wants attention. So give it the attention. The historical one will still be there.

BEsides, I think the fairy one sounds really fun. Reminds me a little of Artemis Fowl.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, it's part that and part to have something to relieve the stress. I've been having nightmares, so I started having things like How the Grinch Stole Christmas in Latin and Ella Enchanted to use when I need a break from research.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Is anyone else having trouble waiting to write the story they're planning for NaNo?

It seems ever since I changed my mind and am going to write this other story in November, every time I sit down to write my diary entries ahead of time, all I can think of is the NaNo story!

8. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    My problem is that my story might need a lot of research, since it is set in Victorian England and my inner obsessive person needs to have all the details right. I'm really looking forward to NaNo though; I think this makes me a masochist.

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    SithGirl: I can help with generic England help.

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I ahve the whole of one page of notes so far.
    I'll do SO well.8-}
    *grab one of those stylish straight jackets*

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've actually made a few character sheets, outlined the culture of my beings and done some major problem brain storming with my fiance, and I think I got all the things I was really worried about figured out! I'm already way ahead of last year witht the planning, which I think was one of my big downfalls!! :D

Also, I talked the fiance into participating with his own novel last night! :D Whoo hoo! [face_dancing]

Is it time to start yet??
    :p

12. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    *salutes*

I'm in again, because I'm an eternal masochist. And I really need to get off my butt and start writing again. Well, writing causes me to sit on my butt even more, but you know what I mean. :)

April Hurst on the forums.

13. Zhymmia_Jansen

Zhymmia_Jansen Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2006
    I've been dwelling over this for weeks, and I have finally decided that I'm going to give this a shot. This will be my first time ever doing this as well as the first time I'm going to try my hand at a Star Wars fanfic, so I was wondering if I can get a bit of feedback. (The fanfic in question is a kind of in-depth novelization of Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.)

14. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    This will be my third year doing NaNo. :D

First year went well, worked on a Star Wars story and although I didn?t win, (got almost 30k) I was still happy, it was a lot of fun and the most I had ever written in a single story.

Second year didn?t go so well at all, not even 10k. I procrastinated too much?:rolleyes: and it didn?t help that I had to go out of town for Thanksgiving.

Hopefully I will be able to make it this year. (Can?t believe it is only a week away! Ahh!) I am planning on doing a Doctor Who fan fic. Have a plot that should work? just have to ignore the other 2 ideas that keep trying to convince me to do them instead?

15. Jaina_Solo_Goddess

Jaina_Solo_Goddess Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2007
    This'll be my first year doing NaNoWriMo - I'm a bit worried considering my procrastinating but I've got two friends also doing it so I'm hoping for the best!

~Jaina

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Stang, all I can think of is this storyline I'm going to do for NaNo, and I'm starting to get nervous that when Nov. 1 finally rolls around, I'll suddenly go blank on this story! [face_worried]

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I feel the exact same why Alexis... I'm really excited right now and even though I have outlines I'm afraid I'll draw a blank as far as the actual writing is concerned once it is time to start! 8-}

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    My spreadsheet is growing and growing and plotbunny's are hopping from it, each demanding their own story but I have to fit them in the one NaNoWriMo. Have to begin at an earlier time in the story and get dates above each section. The title is hopefully still covering the main part and so it is still DNA, CorSec and a lot of Corellians in it.

19. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I bow to your organizational greatness. ;)

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    That's pretty much the same as me.

21. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm exactly the same ladies...I'm just as concerned that all my outlining and research will mean absolutely squat. Inevitability the story will skew left from what I've outlined after the first scene. :p

22. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Same here, even though it's my fifth Nano. My research has already taken tangents that I know have nothing to do with the story. (Not that I mind learning new things, it's just I really need to get notes taken on what's actually relevant.)

Oh, I'm also moving sometime this week, and therefore have to pack. The stress has pretty much killed my enthusiasm. Here's hoping it returns on or before Friday!

23. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    It starts on Friday! I'm quite excited. Just like last year, I know how my story starts and ends, but I don't know the middle. I can't wait to see where it goes- I seem to write better with a general idea of what the plot is but no outline, so I cna just let things unfold as they want to.
    But I haven't done very much research on Victorian England...

24. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I don't have a plot yet. I have a main character, I have a first and last scene (thanks to a random plot generator) and a few odd details. But I have no idea what to write about.

My main character is a blind sixteen year-old Healer. I have her name. I know that her mother is important somehow and that her father isn't really her father (though he doesn't know that) and that her father (or the man who thinks he is her father) used a love potion on her mother to get her to stay with him. I have the mother's name too.

There's going to be a Necromancer in there somewhere, and ties to Camelot. I think I'm going to have Merlin (who is actually a woman) stuck in a diary or looking glass or something. But I don't want to rewrite the King Arthur legend right now (I plan to do that later *grins*) and I want to keep the novel in the realm of a YA urban fantasy trilogy, because that's what I tend to read the most. This would be the first book, of course, but I have no idea what I should be using for the entire plot line. I want to be original. I don't want to have to use other worlds or dimensions, but keep it all in this world. And I have less than a week to come up with something- how fun.

Last year I came up with my plot during a lecture on Radiochemistry. I quit half way through, but I still have a lot more of that planned out than this idea, where I have basically no idea of what I'm doing. And hey, I might even end up switching plots within the next five days anyways. All I know is that I don't want to do fan fic. I want to use the time to actually complete something original.

25. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Saturday. But since I always start at the stroke of midnight, I need something on Friday.

Alethia, it sounds like you have a potential for a lot of conflict just within your MC's family life. And her blindness will cause complications, as major or minor as you need. (Remember, if it's set in this world and in America, many of her peers will be getting their drivers' licenses- and she can't.) What usually happens to me is that my characters tell me story as I write. I don't plan, and I've won all four years so far. There are plenty of people who don't plan a thing and still win.

Secondly, and this is really for everyone, it doesn't have to be perfect. Acceptable is enough to go on with during Nano. Ignore the inner editor. Just write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.