main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo Escape Pod - It's over and we rocked the house!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    My name is JL and I am insane. Why, you may ask?

Because in the confines of the 30 days of November, I'll be writing a 50,000 word novel. Or at least giving it my best shot.

My novel, and approximately 75,000 other people's stories, will be part of NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. Every Novemeber for the past seven years folks from all over the globe have gathered in increasing numers and attempted to fulfill their dreams of writing a novel.

What are the rules? In simplest terms, you start with a blank page on November 1st (that's right, you can't write a single word ahead of time, so no works in progress, though you can outline and character create to your heart's content) and on November 30th you end with at least 50,000 words of a novel in progress. It's quantity over quality with the goal of getting your inner critic out of the way and just writing!

I could keep rambling on here, but the official information pages give a much better explanation of the project:

What is NaNoWriMo?

So why is there a thread dedicated to this in Resource?

Well, first of all, NaNo participants are allowed to write a fanfic novel if they so chose. Yes, folks, it's time to dig out that epic plot bunny that's been nibbling at you for ages!

Secondly, I thought this would be a great place to let readers know that some of their favorite authors may not be updating their ongoing stories during November.

Third, to many of us, Resource feels like homebase. While the NaNoWriMo site does have its own forums, it will be nice to have someplace here to gather and commiserate.

And lastly, it will be a hoot for all the other fanficcers to come in here and point and laugh at our craziness!

Sign ups for NaNoWriMo started October 1st and continue right through the third week of November, so its never too late to get started! Let the novel planning begin!

30 days, 50,000 words... who's with me?

P.S. LAJ_FETT has kindly started a companion thread for us on the official nanowrimo forums. You can find it here.

NaNoWriMo 2006 roll call: (PM me your word counts!)
    (author nano names in parentheses if different from board names)

Alishu06 - 20,518
    Alley_Skywalker - 50,188
    Anapad_Nabooine (Dapana) - 50,173
    Commander-DWH - 2,450
    Darkwriter (Janet_Pen) - 51, 369
    DARTH_MU
    DarthIshtar - 12,312
    Elana - 52,003
    Eleventh_Guard - 70,021
    Flowerlady - 50,227
    furrylittlebantha
    JadeSolo
    jaina_clan_solo (jcs_52462) - 50,123
    JediNemesis (Atheling) - 50,439
    Jennifer_Lyn - 55,271
    Kestrel_Kenobi - 50,051
    Kidan - 10,000
    KTfanfic - 29,003
    LadyLunas - 50,054
    LAJ_FETT - 50,626
    Layren - 14,300
    leia_naberrie
    Luton_Plunder - 4,308
    maderic - 21,000
    MiaTieska
    micky-nikki - 19,710
    musingmiyu
    ophelia (0phelia) - 8,971
    oqidaun - 50,131
    Pandora26 (Pandora Beardsley) - 6,600
    Persephone_Kore - 50,000
    rebel_cheese - 10,188
    SpiritofEowyn - 8,700
    thesporkbewithyou (UnfinishedNovel) - 5,630

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Thanks for starting this thread, J_L. I really want to give this a shot. I finally have a plot bunny ahead of time enough for NaNo that I want to turn into an Epic :D I've wanted to try it before but never have had a bunny in time.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I'm definitely doing this again!

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I've been swearing to do this for about three years now. This year I'm gapping, got some promising bunnies . . . I think I'm actually going to have to. :eek:

I'm mad, right? Someone tell me I'm mad.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "Come on, let me hear you say it."

"You're insane!"

"No, no, the other one!"

6. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    :D I'm already signed in and ready to go. :D
    It's a top secret project, but I'll be sending you the word counts.

\m/ Rock On NANOWRIMO!!! (there should be some cool anime music to go with this)

7. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    JediNemesis, i'm putting your name on the list, so you're just going to have to be insane and do it! [face_devil]

yippee! i'm not alone! i put this on my list of goals for the year and i can't believe i'm actually following through on it!

i'm taking the deep plunge and doing an original, non-fanfic story. i've been worldbuilding for weeks now. *bounces*

8. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Tried 2005, didn't get far. Did complete the contest in 2004.

I'm debating whether or not to try it for this year... but if I do, I will likely choose original fic, or at least something original that might be inspired by Star Wars but not enough to actually count as more than that.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I tried for the first time and succeeded last year.

10. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    go you, Ish!

this is my first year. so, could you tell us newbies... is it as insane and difficult as everyone makes it out to be?

11. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm in! I'm going to do what I did last year, though, which was not to write a 50K novel, but to write 50K words period. Didn't get there, but a lot of stories grew, and that made me happy. :D

This year I'm going to concentrate on short stories. They're a lot easier for me than novels. :p

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That's a cool idea. I want to work on an angst-novel that I've been hashing out in my mind for a while now.

13. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] Nice one, Ish.

Oh, what the hell. I'll do it.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I did it last year and just made the 50k. I'm thinking of doing it again (probably will) but this time I have no idea what I am going to write about. It probably won't be fanfic though.
    The idea of short stories, possibly linked by a common main character, has possibilities though.

15. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    Actually, I HAVE a fanfic idea I'd love to do, but I don't think I can make it hit 50,000 words. Maybe I could, though, if I pad with lots of backstory, lots of side plots, and lots of description. :D That's actually not a half-bad idea, because while the story it generates will almost certainly be tripe, it might breed a dozen plotbunnies that eschew the path of Sithly suckage and become Jedi-worthy vigs in their own rights.

16. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    isn't that part of the fun? all the side tangents and padding to get to 50,000?

and breeding new plot bunnies is always a worthy endeavor!

Eleventh_Guard and LAJ_FETT, just let me know (here or pm) if you're definitely doing it and i'll add you to the list!

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You might as well add me in - I'm going to try again.

Anyone doing it for the first time might want to get a copy of the book - I got it last year and found it quite helpful.

Edit - since no one else has done it yet, I started a TFN thread over in the NaNo forums. You can add to it here.

18. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    I want to do this, but since my next baby is scheduled to be born that first week of november i'm not sure if i'll be able to....

19. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    :eek: Congratulations Kidan! [:D]

20. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    ah, babies-schmabies. i'm sure you'll have loads of writing time during those wee hours feedings!:p
    just kidding! congrats!

good show LAJ_FETT! i'll get that link up in the first post!

(super secret... JL has not actually officially signed up yet. eek!)

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I could never do a fanfic for Nanowrimo. It's my one month a year to work on my original stuff.

22. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I just signed up. I'm going to be doing an original story. Now I just have to decide which of two possible plots to go with...

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I've got the same problem--one is sci-fi angst and one is drama.

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This always looks like so much fun, but there is no way I'll have time this year. I'll definately think about it for next year, though.

25. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    Count me in, yeah. The idea is starting to grow in my head. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.