main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo Escape Pod - It's over and we rocked the house!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    *stops in to cheer on the Force.net novel writing team 2006*

[face_peace] [face_pumpkin] @};- [:D] [face_dancing]

And, for those writing late at night,

[face_coffee]

I'm not participating myself.

2. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006
    Haha, there's been a plot floating around in my head for a good month or two now that will need a good 50,000 words to flesh out. For better or for worse, I'm signed up ;) I'm not going to be writing Fan Fiction however, so I don't know whether this thread is particularly for me.

I'm sure if I just stick to singing the praises of coffee I can't get too far off topic :p

3. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I still haven't fully decided whether I'm going to participate or not, but it is nice to see a thread here supporting those who will. :)

4. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Just signed up! Thatnks for posting the announcement, J_l! This looks like it's gonna be one hell of a ride!

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hell being the operative word!

6. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    eek! Ish, you're gonna make us all think this idea is crazy or something. :p

Luton_Plunder, i'm not sure of our stats, but i think we're about 50/50 fanfic and original novels here so you'll feel quite at home!

wow! i'm pleasantly surprised to see so many folk on board!

countdown: only 28 days to get yourselves ready!

here's a couple posts i found particularly helpful on the nano forums. some of this stuff is just helpful when it comes to writing any story in general.

links to various outlining methods

the nano reportcard spreadsheet and some cool character creation & outlining spreadsheets

and the companion tf.n thread over there.

7. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    I decided to sign up. :D This is my first time doing it, I?m a little nervous, since the longest thing I?ve ever written is just over 10,000 words and that took months to write. However, I?m going to give it a shot anyway!

I already have an idea lined up and I?m really looking forward to writing it. I guess it is a good thing I have to wait a month to start it, seeing as I still have some things to plan out; but it is so hard to wait don?t you think?

So, what is everyone doing? Original or fan fiction? I?m planning on doing a Star Wars fic, it?s an idea I?ve had sitting on my hard drive for a while, but never got around to starting. I figured now was as good a time to start it as any!

~KT

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm doing original fiction and am either doing a young-adult drama or a sci-fi adventure. I still have to decide.

9. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    i'm in a similar boat, KT. this is my first time, too, and yes! it is so hard to wait!

i'm doing original sci-fi, stuff i've been on and off worldbuilding for about a year now. still have plenty of things to figure out before Nov. 1st, but i figure part of my worldbuilding will become extra padding for my wordcount!

the longest thing i've written so far falls a bit short of 30,000, my current epic is probably going to be double that, but yeah, the 50,000 word count is scary.

10. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    I really want to do this thing, but I have no idea if I will have the time to do it. I have a great plot in mind that I have been working out in my mind for about 3-4 years now. Should I or shouldn't I? Yes... no... yes... no... Aaaarghhh. Give me some more time to decide.

For those who have already signed up, best of luck to you!

Cheers,
    Wyo

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think you should. If you need a writing buddy, I'm dependable.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Great thread Jennifer_Lyn .

I have to say how impressed I am with anybody that does the NaNoWriMo.

I'm wondering, if and how many had written fanfic last year that posted it to the boards here?

13. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Oh man I so want to do this . . . [face_hypnotized]

Considering my chapters tend to be inbetween 5000-6000 words 50,000 should be a snap. Ten chapters and done. :p Of course, college and my own fanfiction might get in the way a bit. But I think I can do it. My head is filled with plot bunnies, many of which are actually original.

I'm gonna think about it. Got plenty of time.

14. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm doing this, as is one of my housemates! We're going to have daily check-ins to make sure we're both on track. :D And I'm probably insane, because this is more than I've finished on Blue Side in a year, but this is me, making a concentrated effort one one thing. Yup.

15. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I need to an emoticon that falls down on its knees in homage. I don't know whether you are all insane, though I suspect so, or just really dedicated! Good luck.

*leaves lots of brain food*

Zonoma

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, thanks, Z.

I think we need an icon. Not that I'll stop using this one, but one to show solidarity and all that...

17. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    ooh. that's a great idea, Ish! wonder if we can get those in charge to arrange such a thing?

maybe something like this:
    [image=http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/littleoracle/other/nano2006/nano1.gif]

we also could just pick one of the silly icons already up (like GL with his lightsaber or something) and all agree to use it.

*waves hand in front of rebel_cheese* you will do nanowrimo.

wow! our list of participants is growing quite robust! huzzah to you all for accepting the challenge!
    and huzzah to those of you waving your flags of support! it's appreciated!

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll ask about using the above icon in MS for you. :)

Edit - it's posted!

19. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    LAJ-FETT! i could just hug you!

in fact, i will!

[:D]

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay! Thanks for putting that up!

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hopefully we will get a response later this evening board time when Sape is on. I'll let you know!

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    If you've got icons for the world series, we should seriously have a Nanowrimo icon. *cross fingers*

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, I put a link to the website and our thread in the forums there in the request so that should help. We probably won't know anything until at least tomorrow though as I will be long asleep by the time Sape comes online (usually around 5-7pm-ish board time).

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That would be an awesoe icon. Awesome job Jennifer_Lyn . Good idea LAJ_FETT .

25. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Even though I don't think I can write 50,000 words in *two years*, I've signed up anyway.

I'm going to think of this as an opportunity to finally force myself to work on one of the novel projects that I've put off starting for years, and I do mean years. Since most of my novel attempts involve me writing a chapter, hating it, and then having a nervous breakdown, my standards are low. I'm not here to win. I'm here to at least get further than I usually do.

Oh, and feel free to point and laugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.