main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I came across this intriguing site while surfing the Web. The month of November is National Novel Writing Month. The basic premise is that you start writing a 50,000 word novel on November 1 and have it finished on November 30. It has been going a few years and will be going again this year. It is open to anyone who wants to sign up and give it a go. Signups start October 1. There are also forums on the site where budding authors can ask advice on technique, post plots for adoption, and there are regional social boards. Although it is not a Star Wars site, I figured those into writing Fan Fiction might want to check it out. The title says 'National', but it is open worldwide.

2. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Thanks for the heads up, LAJ_FETT! =D=

Did I read that right? 50,000 words in a month?! :eek:

Who's got the time? I-)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Believe me, there are plenty of people on the forums that didn't make it. But it looks like a neat opportunity if you are in the 'someday I will write that novel' ballpark. Why not try to have someday start Nov 1? Even if you don't finish there is no shame to it. I am thinking of giving it a go!

4. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    NaNo is an incredible amount of fun. I've done it the past two years, even though I've never actually completed a novel. The most I got was 32,000 words, which was pretty impressive for me. I've already been considering what I'm going to do this year, and I was thinking about doing a fanfic novel.

It's a major challenge, but it is also major exciting. I would suggest to to anyone who likes to write, even if it's just for the fun of it.

5. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    I just did the math, and it actually doesn't sound too bad. About 1,700 words a day. It works out to about 2 pages Arial 8pt. (my writing standard) That's pretty much a viggie a day. Hmmmm...

6. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Are you allowed to do a Fanfic novel? It doesn't have to be completely original?

7. americantragedy

americantragedy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    i tried to write a novel once. it took me about 7 months tho. i might check it out anyway tho.
    -mia-

8. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Ladylaurel, this is from their website:

How do you define "novel?" Does fan fiction count? What if I want to write interconnected short stories rather than a novel? What if my story is largely autobiographical, or is based on a real person? Can I still write it in November?
    We define a novel as "a lengthy work of fiction." Beyond that, we let you decide whether what you're writing falls under the heading of "novel." In short: If you believe you're writing a novel, we believe you're writing a novel too.

9. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Yeah, 1700 words a day wasn't my problem; staying interested in my story was. ;)

I think there's even a forum for writers who are doing fanfic novels; I know for certain threads have popped up before. Last year, there were a lot of HP novels hopping about.

10. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    I heard about this for the first time last spring, which of course was after the program had already ended. I think I may go for it this time, if only to help with some WB that rears its ugly head at the worst possible times!

11. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I've known about this for the last three years and I know many people who have done it. It's tons of fun and yes, if you divide the pages down, it really isn't that much a day.

You can do fan fic or original or even a reasearch paper if you wanted. It can be anything- just has to be one thing that's 50,000 words.

I tried it the year before last, but didn't get very far (kind of forgot...). It's really a brilliant thing and I had forgotten that it was coming up soon...

A key is to forget quality and go for quantity. There's also National Editing Month, when you're supposed to edit the novel you wrote during NaNoWrMo.

It's ton of fun and I really suggest people try it.

12. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Many writing books say if you're serious to aim for 1,000 words a day. Unfortunately for people with school or jobs that can be a chore, even for people like me who are driven. When you write there is that wonderful muse to contend with. No muse means an awful good chance that 1,000 words written on the musely day will need a hefty rewrite or worse yet the circular file.

I remember at C3 they made mention that Karen Traviss is a writing machine, putting out a full length novel in 6 weeks. Full length is considered roughly 100,000 words, so half it and you've got 50,000 words over 3 weeks. BUT (and it's a big BUT) she said she worked 16 hour days to keep that pace.

Honestly it's not the writing that takes the time; it's the research and preparation. Unless you're writing something you really know, half your time can be cross referencing, back checking sources and even in the outline prep. I don't mean to sound discouraging because I think it's an admirable goal, as long as people enter into it with realistic expectations.

13. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    That's probably why they say it's OK to write an outline, do your research, prepare notes, or do whatever else you need to do to get ready. You just can't start actually writing it until November 1st.

14. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Exactly. I have a friend who started planning her novel for the next year on December 1st- the day after the deadline for that year. I haven't talked to her in awhile, but I would assume by now that she has pretty much everything done by now- she just has to actually write it. And when you have everything all researched and planned, it shouldn't be that challenging to actually write the novel.

Though it is often better in NaNo just to make something up and get the words down, if you're not sure- and not waste time looking up info. The quality of the writing does not matter. All that matters is that you have the words- so just write and forget everything else. I know someone who wrote 'I don't know what to write' for about five pages in the middle of her novel, because she didn't know how to go on. A week before the deadline, she finishes with 50,000 words and then goes back to edit those pages.

Basically, write, write and write.

15. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Oh my. I guess I just don't work that way.

Good luck to all those who go for it though! :D

16. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I did NaNo in 2004 and completed it at just over 81K. It's not really hard if you type fast and don't try to turn out a masterpiece of a rough draft. I think I know what I'm doing for 2005, but not certain.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Thanks for the info LAJ_FETT.

Wow, 50,000 in a month. I don't think I have that many words in me.... well correctly spelled ones anyway. :D :D

18. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Heh. Hey, Leona, in NaNo, spelling doesn't matter... *grins*

I don't know if I'll do it or not. I have a few plots in my head, but I don't know if I could write an entire novel out of them. Then again, I need to get back in the habit of writing original fic and NaNo would be a good motivator...

19. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Gosh, 50,000 words? There's no way I could do that! It's a very interesting idea, though. [face_thinking]

20. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    I tried this last year, but couldn't do it. I know someone who did and managed to write an entire novel about garden gnomes fighting random ninjas. [face_tired] 8-}

Anyways, I'm trying again this year. I have a few ideas. [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

21. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Good luck to all who participate! I would, but I'm far too busy right now, and I'm lucky to conjuer up a vignette or an update per week, let alone a day. :(

22. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I know someone who did and managed to write an entire novel about garden gnomes fighting random ninjas.

Heh. That doesn't surprise me- NaNo plots usually end up totally absurd and crazy. But that's part of the fun. *grins*

23. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

50,000 words?

Hey, what else do I have to do for the month of November? :p

24. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Write for In Name Only. :p

25. Unnlimahted_POWUUH

Unnlimahted_POWUUH Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2005
    How does one get involved? Where would I send the completed work? Just the FanFiction Resource or what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.