main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think I actually did that once. It involved writing 6 hours a day and posting without any beta editing at all. I don't think I'd do it again.

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    How does one get involved? Where would I send the completed work? Just the FanFiction Resource or what?

First you go to the site starting October 1st and register. Once you're registered, you wait until Nov. 1st and then start typing. And you don't send in the completed work. At the site, you just register your word count. But once you register, you'll get more info.

3. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    One of the best parts of NaNo is that NO ONE ELSE has to see your writing. All that happens is that they check your word count in some sort of generator. A friend of mine turned me on to this two years ago, and I had a BLAST! I've done it twice, won both times, and really enjoyed it.

Chris Baty, the guy who started it, wrote a book called "No Plot? No Problem!" about NaNo, and the book itself is about 50,000 words. So is "Brave New World" if you want a general idea of how many words that is, and how much you'd be writing.

Anyone who's ever wanted to write a novel, I definitely suggest you do this. And don't forget to get together with the people in your area. That's part of the fun, too.

Just Jill

4. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Gives new meaning to the term "writing for yourself" ;)

5. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Gives new meaning to the term "writing for yourself"

Heh. Very true, though. Some of the things people write are insane- but that's part of the fun. And if you write every day, it really isn't that much to do. Just- don't wait till the last week to learn about it and sign up. I knew someone who did that. I think she basically spent every free minute she had writing...and you should have seen the panic she was in. *grins*

But really, it's wonderfully fun.

6. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Hehehe? that's hilarious.

I might write a novel for November. Depends on my homework load, though.

KT

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yesterday was the first day to sign up for this. I went onto their website this morning UK time to see about signing up. Apparently so many people tried yesterday that they have had to suspend signups as the load caused problems with their server. Sounds like this year might be popular!

8. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I'm debating signing up. I just need to come up with a semi-plot- and I have no clue. I want to do something original, since it's been months since I worked on anything original. I just don't know what...

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm definitely doing this. I'm not sure, though, if I can limit myself to 50,000 or do it as finished at 50,000. I might do it in the style of Tolkien, as in Book 1, book 2, etc. because the series that I want to write will definitely be long.

10. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    50,000 words is the boundary line between novella and novel by most standards. I've got a novel I'm writing writing now that's only at about twenty six thousand with a planned hundred thousand or so in the end.

The Fallen Shroud, for example, is now at 74,142 words.

11. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Ish, it can be more that 50,000 words. That's just the minimum. Write it as long as you want.

12. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    There were some last year who went over 100K. Of course, a few of them were liars (counts like 500K in the first week? I don't THINK so.) But many did manage 100K+ in that time - 50K is just the minimum to "win".

13. Vexx

Vexx Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2000
    You don't actually have to sign up officially, if you don't want to. You can triumph or fail in the safety of your own obscurity if you like. I just decided I was gonna do it last year. I was doing great till I came down sick the last week and didn't get a thing written because I was too busy sleeping 18 hours a day and being miserable the rest of the time.

I've found that it helps if you get together with friends to do this. Or at least tell someone who can prod you along if your attention or dedication begins to flag. Last year I had a writing buddy and we interrogated each other every other day or so about our word count. It kept both of us working and kept the word counts climbing. :)

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'd love to sign up, but the sign-up link doesn't work. If anyone's looking for a writing buddy, I'm willing to be one.

15. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I think this thread would be a good 'signup buddy' thing. Everyone who's doing it can post here and put in their progress and stuff. Or maybe we could ask the mods if we can open up another thread just for that.

Ish, I think the site is down for a day or two, because of the amount of users signing up on the 1st.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Last time I checked their site it said they hoped to get the new server up today so they could resume signups.

17. AlisonC

Aug 27, 2005
    One of the most awesome things we did last year was "word wars". People get together in a chat room, and somebody times - usually 10, 15, 20, or 30 minutes - and it's a mad dash to see who can write the most words in that time. Very fun! Typo-ridden, which made for an editing pain afterwards, but still great for word count and getting us off our duffs for a little while at a time.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awesome. I'm going to have to go after this with great enthusiasm.

19. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    I'm definitely going to go for this and as soon as they can resume sign-ups, I'll be onboard officially. :)

20. AlisonC

Aug 27, 2005
    Looks like they've been busy wiping out all the old board stuff (the boards are still open all year round) to make way for the new ones and it's taking a little while longer or something. My account is still there but I can't log in.

21. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I'm not going to sign up this year, although I'm going to use the month to try to prod my muse into moving. I have a work of original fiction that has gone through about 10 incarnations but I keep scrapping it. Maybe this time around I'll redo it and finally get it finished. In any case, I'm just going to set a goal for the month and use NaNoWriMo as an inspiration. :)

22. Rynne

Rynne Jedi Master star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Ah, NaNo. I did it in 2003 (and won!), but not last year, as I had no novel-length plot bunnies last November.

I'm really looking forward to this year, though. I'm currently writing a trilogy, and am maybe halfway through the second fic, so if I can finish it by the end of October (which I think is likely), then I can devote NaNo to the third part of the trilogy and get a ton of it done.

Now, if only college doesn't get in the way...;)

23. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I figured out a plot! Well, sort of. So I'm in this year. I need to do a lot of planning before hand, but whatever. I think I have a plot that will keep my interest for 50,000 words and a month. Most don't...

24. Vexx

Vexx Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2000
    I have several plot bunnies that could take up the whole word count and month, but I think I'm going to finish up what I started last year (sadly left hanging once the time was up) and then move on to one of the others when it's done.

25. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    The site seems to be working fine now. I just created an account and was able to log in with no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.