main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Nashville Imax confirmed !

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by skip1, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    hey everyone,

I have confirmed that the opry mills imax will be showing EP2.
    it will start Nov 1st and run 7 weeks ending around Xmas.

the 501st has been asked to do appearances at all of the Imax openings.I am currently working with the opry mills imax on this.hopefully we will know exactly whats going on in the next few days.something big is planned for opening night bt i dont have details i can share at this time.

Anyone with costumes are encouraged to come. I have posted this in the memphis and knoxville forums.both groups are looking at coming over to see it.If they are coming friday night does anyone want to get together at Jillians and have a Tn fanforce get together? if i am involved with the theater i will be over there and may try to come over and see everyone,but wont be there much.michael lester may have to work that night so someone other than us will have to be there.if anyone can get this together with us let me/michael know.i think it will be a great opportunity to welcome the other Tn folks here.

im not sure of the screen times yet but more info will be available soon.

side note;there is going to be another big appearance at the us space and rocket center in huntsville,al the next day Nov 2nd.the AL FF met with them yesterday and i will have the details soon.I am planning on being there sat afternoon to participate.i believe they are going to have the radio and Tv there as well.

thanks everyone
    skip

2. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    It's good to see that after all the bad things that happened and were said about Opry that something good there is about to happen.

I will be there with bells on (not a costume, unfortunatly). And I am realy looking forward to a huge TN FanForce gathering.

3. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I'll definately be there in my Jedi attire.

4. RegalMan

RegalMan Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    I am all for people coming in costume, but at regal, the GM will only allow people to come and pass out things and make an appearance only if it licensed through Lucasfilm or through the corprate office. Anyone can dress up if they want to, no problem, but in order to pass out things and hold any kind of planned gathering, it will have to be official.

5. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Lucasfilms contacted the 501st yesterday and asked each city that was showing the movie to designate a coordinator to work with the theaters. Lucasfilms has requested 501st members be present at the opening night promotion.we havent got anything yet as far as details of what types of promotions will be going on but were asked to make contact with the theater mgrs.

I was asked to handle nashville by the 501st southern outpost XO.I called today and spoke briefly with tony.he was very kind and stated the same thing as you.they didnt want third party activities without corporate approval.I understand the legalities involved.I left my name and number with tony and he said he would pass it on to the mgr.

If for some reason he doesnt wish to participate that is his decision.i can live with going to the us space and rocket imax in huntsville and being on Tv.

I hope that something can be worked out as i have already heard from a few other 501st that are making plans to come and support lucasfilms request.I dont think that vader,royal guards,troopers and a bunch of jedi on the news will hurt business.

If someone my height and build would like to wear my royal guard outfit that night pm me.
    I will warn you .you must have a small head.that helmet barely goes on me and i wear a size 7 hat.

anyway,hopefully this will turn out to be great.

skip

6. DarthSiren

DarthSiren Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    If you guys can get it all worked out, I'm there.

7. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    RegalMan. Can you answer a question for me.

AOTC is being edited to fit into IMAX's 120 min. time restrictions. So how is it that right now Opry is showing Red Dragon, with it's 125 min. running time, on its IMAX screen?

8. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    when i was speaking to them at imax yesterday he was telling me about red dragon.he said it wasnt filling the whole screen.he said it did sideways but not top/bottom.
    perhaps they can show reg. movies on the imax .but it can only be so big.whereas a movie made for imax fills the entire screen.

will the EP2 version be pan and scan?
    arent imax screens square and not able to accomodate widescreen?

9. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Yup. They sure are! This just keeps getting better and better. So, not only is Episode II being edited in content for the time limited Imax reels, but to fill up the screen they have to crop the widescreen format as well? I don't know guys. This is getting to sound more and more like an edited for T.V. movie, only its a really BIG edited for T.V. movie. Unless you all are wanting to go see this as a group, I think I'm going to have to take a pass and wait for the DVD.

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    The only thing that doesnt seem right is that it will be running for 7 weeks.thats the same amount of time it was out the first time wasnt it?
    and didnt ticket sales pretty much die after the first 3-4 weeks.
    heres my take on it;

right now -highest grossing movie for 2002= spiderman

after imax for 7 weeks;
    highest grossing movie for 2002=AOTC

its simple folks,lucas is willing to spend the money to have his film #1 .

what would lucas say if his movie went down in the history books not being #1 grossing movie of the year.it doesnt matter how much you spend getting people into the theater its only ticket sales that count.
    and since ole spidey isnt far ahead it shouldnt take much to get on top.i think its a brilliant strategy never done before.spidey wont have time to respond either.when has a movie ever been re-released at the same time it came out on video?

i think it will be really cool seeing it that big.im looking forward to the opening promotion wherever i end up.

11. TK1128

TK1128 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
    Skip1 please contact me as soon as possible. My e-mail is on the members list. I am a veteran member of the 501st and have been looking into cordinating this 501st/Nashville fanforce costume event at the Imax. Since it seems that you have gotten the ball rolling I am offering my complete assistance in gettting this thing going. I have several costumes and am planning to bring the Empire to Nashville in force along with lot's of friends from Clarksville/Ft.Campbell. Please contact me as soon as you can. This should be a great event with lot's of us involved.

12. RegalMan

RegalMan Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    First off, Tony is not the GM at Opry Mills. But, he is correct and he is super nice when it comes to all of this. Personally I think it will be cool to have people dressed up and supporting Ep. 2. So, as you get official Lucas Film stuff, come and talk to the theatre and we can work something out. Secondly, We have a standard projector in the IMAX specifically for running 35mm films. There is a lens that will blow the image up to the screen. Since Ep. 2 is an actual IMAX film, the proj. will have to be upgraded, which I was told today that the tech people doing the upgrades will only call us a day before and let us know theyre coming to fix it. If they do for us what they usually do, we will get the film about a week before it comes out. The film will have to be built and synced to the soundtrack. IMAX film does not keep the sound on the film rather on digital disc. Now, all said and done, we are hoping that the techs will be coming within a few weeks to upgrades the system for Epi. 2. As far as the 7 weeks thing goes, I can guarantee you probably about 99% sure, that we will not run Ep 2 on a full schedule for that long. When Treasure Planet and Harry Potter comes out, Star Wars will take the very very back seat at the theatre.

13. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    STARWARS.COM just posted some more infor regarding the IMAX showing. From what I read, it would appear that Episode II will not be cropped, only enhanced. "IMAX theaters were built for 70mm film format" 70 mm is what the original STAR WARS films were shot in. Every time I've heard 70 mm mentioned in relation to a movie it is typically associated with that typical "widescreen" aspect ratio. [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20021011/img/comparative.jpg]
    It does sound though like the Quality of the film is near DLP. When we went to the IMAX to see Goldfinger. We were not watching an "IMAX" formatted movie. We were only watching a 35 mm movie shown on an IMAX screen. Supposedly the sound quality with Goldfinger, which I thought was poor, was not formatted for the IMAX speakers either. It sounds like that this is indeed an enhanced version of the film. Although, it is unfortunately an edited one.

If you all want to go as a group, I would be up for it, if only just to see if it is worth the effort the Lucasfilm put into it's conversion.

BTW, I heard this straight from the manager at the Thoroughbred. Dreamworks called a meeting with Carmike Cinemas and wanted to put a DLP theater inside the Thoroughbred. Unfortunately Carmike turned them down for financial reasons.

So far, Episode II is the only major motion picture filmed in DLP. Others will most likely follow. How many and how soon is yet to be determined. The conversion would be a major overhaul of the workings of the theater. A brand new digital projector would have to be installed, along with a new sound system AND a new movie screen that has a silvery reflective material. In otherwords booku bucks. When a DLP movie is not available. That theater sits empty. They were not talking a small theater either. They wanted to have this installed in one of the 500+ theaters that we saw Episode II in opening night. That is major revenue loss. Any business owner worth their salt would laugh at such a proposition.

However, Carmike told them to ask them again in a couple of years to see what direction the movie industry is moving in. They said that they would be happy to consider it then if there is more of a market for it. But, unfortunatley right now it isn't fiscally possible for them to take this step right now. So, maybe by the time Episode III comes out we could have a DLP theater right here in Nashville. With all the sequels and special effects movies in the works over the next couple of years, it's quite possible that they may go the Lucasfilm route. Also, remember that we have another Indiana Jones film. Even though Spielberg is the one filming this, his 'ol buddy George may be able to talk him into filming it digitally. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)

14. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    who said tony was the mgr?

my statement was that i left my # with tony and he was going to give it to the mgr.

skip

15. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    As much as I would like to see it, I dont think that Lucas is out to get Spidey. I read an estimation that AOTC may get 20 mil for its IMAX run. Even if it QUADRUPLES that and becomes the highest grossing IMAX film of all time (beating Everest at 77 mil), Clones will still fall short of Spidey by more than 20 mil. If Lucas was so worried about grosses, he should have released Clones in 4000 theaters like Spidey. Rather than the 3100 that Clones did. He would have more of my $. After the first month I had to drive and hour for a screening.

And there is something I am still not clear on. We will be watching an IMAX formated film. And IMAX screens are square-ish. So will the picture fill up the screen or not? If not does that mean letterbox of pan-scan?

I have read that some theaters are only doing a 4 week engagment. I dont know how they are doing this if Lucas is requiring a 7 week. But I have also read that Opry IS doing 7 weeks. Remember that IMAX is different. They often run several movies at once. So it doesnt mean that they will show ONLY Clones for 7 wks. Like right now, they are running Space Station AND Red Dragon.

Another question for RegalMan. Scott and some others said that when they saw Au-member, that it cost $9 (I think). But the web site says IMAX tix are $11. Does that mean that regular flix on the big screen are $9 and IMAX formatteds are $11, or what?

16. RegalMan

RegalMan Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    IMAX films are 11$, but with the way Lucas is, dont be surprised if it goes to like 15 or so. It wouldnt surprise me. I wasnt trying to sound mean about saying that Tony wasnt the GM. I was just clearing it up just in case noone else would think that that is who they should talk to when you call the theatre. You should talk to the GM instead.

17. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    //shrug

I'll probably go see it once, just to see how good of a job they do with it. It's still going to be better than anything I get off of Kazaa. ;)

18. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I think I'll put my $11 toward the DVD...a week and a half later.

19. Qui-Gonn_Jeff

Qui-Gonn_Jeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    A good analogy for this situation would be: riding in a stretch limosine with a wheel missing. No thanks Regal Cinemas, I'll pass on your hacked up, forced to fit version of cinema artwork. I'll by the DVD wide screen edition, watch it in it's entirity plus the extras.

20. RegalMan

RegalMan Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    Why do you have to dog regal for something that is all Lucas' doing? We didnt set prices, we didnt decide how to show the film, we didnt do anything wrong. Some of yall had a bad experience with a manager, ok. You can be upset, but why blame regal for Lucas' greedyness? The only thing Regal is guilty of is not playing every 2 hours for 7 weeks. And if the film doesnt look like every IMAX, thats not our fault either. That is a technical issue, once again due to George Lucas.

21. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Im kinda on regalman's side on that issue.I really believe more ticket sales are what lucas is after.if lucasfilms didnt have a motive then why wrestle imax into this.i cant see why we need to blame regal for this.the fact that they are doing some upgrades tells me they are conforming to someone elses standards.imagine if lucasfilms walked onto your job and told you how you will be doing it now.thats the picture ive gotten from this deal.

i saw that imax film in chattanooga about the airplanes and the mtns,it had val kilmer in it.i dont remember what it was called.i was blown away at the clarity and the 3d effect.i remember seeing a scene where they were walking outside in the rain and you could see the waterdrops dripping off the buildings,incredible.
    i hope that there is a reason that this movie has been brought to the imax.lucas spent all that money developing the digital cameras and all the time making his movie then now he is willing to cut 20 minutes out and cut it to a non-widescreen?theres got to be a reason.if its not ticket sales then i dunno.

as far as the mgr goes,i havent been there but a few times and have never seen the mgr.i am hoping that this upcoming event can be a pleasant one.if the mgr feels like the 501st arent needed than i am fine with that.we spend alot of time and money on these costumes and do these appearances for free.
    when the movie originally came out in may we did an appearance at the hendersonville regal on friday night.They hadnt seen alot of traffic for the movie on wed. and thurs. but friday night he ended up selling out all the shows.all we asked for was some popcorn ,cokes and some passes.the mgr here in h'ville rocks and is definately recommended by me.

regalman,
    dont take anything that is said here personally.you dont have to defend your company.regal is a fine company as is most others.this is subject very close to all of us and we get carried away.

i left my number with tony wednesday and still havent heard from anyone.I have heard from a number of people(501st) about coming out to "troop" at lucas's request.i will need to know what to tell everyone soon so we can all make plans.if i am completely ignored by the opry mills imax then i will focus my attention on the big appearance we are doing at the huntsville,al space center imax. the manager there has already planned most of it with us and i believe everything has been worked out for sat. afternoon.i really want to do something here in town so i am looking forward to hearing from someone.
    we may have close to a dozen troopers and costumers available to show up from the 501st.thats alot more than we had in may.plus you would be the only theater showing it so all media attention is yours.

if you need my phone # pm me.

skip

22. RegalMan

RegalMan Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    Im not really trying to defend my company. Im just trying to make a point that a few certain people always want to blame something local instead of the head honcho(Lucas). The theatre wont ignore you. But the ball is in your court. You need to come up with some kind of way to verify that you have been contacted by Lucasfilm to be there. If you get permission from them and you call our corprate office and talk to the promotions department and let them know whats up then alls cool. Once you get it cleared by corp. then the theatre cant tell you squat unless they want to face actions from corp. So in about a week, try to do some investigating on your part. The only reason, anyone here is skeptical is because for both Ep. 1 and 2, before both movies opened we were told by Fox Reps. that under no circumstances could we have a Star Wars Promotion which included bring your guys out in costume, unless they were coming just to watch the movie and leave like regular customers. Like I said before, we think it will be cool for yall to come, its just all the liability stuff that has to be worked out. We will get caught doing something wrong before Indian Lake in Hendersonville.

23. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    You are correct about the may release.we had gotten info that lucas didnt want any organized star wars groups participating in promotions.when we got the message from steve sansweet that lucas was actually wanting the 501st present at the imax i too was kinda thrown.all of the promotions that lucas did for the may release was pretty much against all star wars fans.they did everything but tell us not to come.

i got the # from tony to call corporate.i passed it on to the people organizing this whole thing.i told them that 1 person should probably contact regal corporate and work out the initial details.then once its a real deal then each mgr and 501st rep can work it out.
    hopefully something will happen with that.you guys are pretty legit in waiting to hear from corporate.especially since the ep1 release in may was so different.
    perhaps we can get this thing going.i know that no-one from the 501st would ever use the "lucas" name to get something done.

thanks for replying.
    skip

24. Darth_Latte

Darth_Latte Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2002
    How convenient for them. It sounds like Lucasfilm had better wake-up & smell the Lattes and quit treating the fan base as their own personal sock-puppets or we may all turn our support towards a certain webslinger. ;) I'm in agreement with Toymaster. I think I'll take that dinero and put it towards the DVD. In my opinion, IMAX is way overrated anyway.

25. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    The only reason, anyone here is skeptical is because for both Ep. 1 and 2, before both movies opened we were told by Fox Reps. that under no circumstances could we have a Star Wars Promotion which included bring your guys out in costume, unless they were coming just to watch the movie and leave like regular customers.

That's weird. NAD didn't go through Lucasfilm to get permission during AOTC's opening night at Carmike. We discussed everything with the district manager and got the okay from them, not LF. Sounds like a Regal thing to me.

// Shrug //

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.