main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2010: is over. :( Come in and see who won!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Are you pre-planning? Outlining? Or are you a fly by the seat of your pants NaNoer and have no idea what your writing about, much less who your characters are? Have you used this method of writing before? If yes, how did it work for you? If No, why are you changing your method?

I use character sheets and a rough diagram. I like to figure out the beginning, climax and end. Following a strict outline limits my creative process.

2. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    As am I... =P~

3. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I suppose I'll bite on this, maybe it will give me the motive to stick with a Kalat Arm novel long enough to make it complete.

4. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm thinking of writing NaNo on my Google Docs, since my computer is getting older and the hard drive is really full. I've been meaning to back up my computer anyhow- my old computer died right after NaNo two years ago. It was scary.

5. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    blech. I went back and read last year's, and I can't stand it. That's going to make it even harder now--I know I don't write half as well without going back and editing. I'm going to have to do some serious planning so it doesn't get to me this time. grrr...

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I read my completed novel from my first year a while ago and it was so laughable in a few ways, but mostly these horse-riding magic users were throwing around medical terminology like they were ER fanatics.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Ish, that sounds awesome.

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This would be my sixth year participating. [face_thinking]

The stories from the past few years are so horrifyingly awful that I just have to do better this year. :p
    And maybe actually not write a fanfic.

Fanfic tends to distract me from original stories.

9. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    They say third time's the charm. This is my first time attempting. Hopefully, I'll actually write something this time. :p

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, I just discovered something worse than an internal editor: an external sister-in-law. I read her manuscript last year and gave her some helpful tips and then betaed her last 50 pages for a manuscript submission. So in recompense/retaliation, she is betaing mine. Luckily, she does have some good things to say, but she is incredibly good at pointing out what I should be doing in revisions.

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Honestly, I wish I had someone to do that for me. You're lucky, Ish. Flat out and painful truth when your stuff sucks is sometimes the best way to go, me thinks. Plus when you're beta has great ideas too, what else could you possibly wish for?

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm a real novelist now. I just got my first rejection--"Declining with my regrets." w00t?

13. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Rejections can be a good thing, though. Save them and stick them to a wall. :p Stephen King did that. If I remember correctly, he had received over sixty rejections until someone published his first book.

Did they at least give you a reason as to why they're rejecting your book?
    Just out of curiosity, what are you writing about?

14. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    A good beta/editor is hard to find. A person might be skilled, but you have to be able to work with that person. The more you work with them, the better the communication. I've beta'd for people before where they don't tell me anything at all.

Rejections are a learning process. Learn from what they said, and don't take it personally. It's difficult, yes, but all you can do is dust yourself off and press forward. Leave it alone for a day or two. When I get rejections at work, I have to sleep on it before I decide to appeal.

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    The problem I've had with beta's in the past is that some don't give you an honest enough opinion, thinking it might hurt your feelings or some such. There is no written text in the world that is aboslutely perfect. Because every reader has a different opinion so it's just not possible.

Sure, I love to know what I did good in a story but I'd also like to know what sucks. How else are you going to improve yourself?

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Things I learned from the rejection...she can't say yes to every great idea, but thanks for applying.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ah well...was this for an agent or publisher?

One of my writing magazines mentioned Writers Services - you might want to check the site out.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Agent.

19. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I think I'm gonna join in on the fun again this year and see how far it goes :)

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been feeling under the weather and thing at work are awful. I'll absolutely share! I'm gonna have to find my notes though so I can make sure I'm getting things right. I thought put them on my desk but evidently not. They've got to be with all my stuff from CV somewhere! 8-} If I can't find them I can always hit up dp4m for things he remembers, he was at all of them as well.

Congrats Ish on your first rejection letter! =D= (I know that must sound sarcastic, but it's not!) Every author I've talked to say its a great accomplishment to get anything back at all!

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, Mav. It does mean that I 1) have finished my novel and 2) am gutsy enough to be out there to face rejection. It's not as bad now.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm starting to reconsider NaNo this year. I'm hoping to go to the US when I've got my passport and I've also submitted a short story that I might need to write if it gets accepted. I don't know if any of this will happen, so I'd like to stay on the list for now. With any luck I can juggle everything and complete NaNo, but I'm not some kind of super-human.

23. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    mavjade: I remember you guys! I was at all the panels too and it was because of them I started writing again. And all that info I got from them is going to hopefully help me out with NaNo.

It was a crazy week for me, but hopefully starting tonight I can sit down and outline some for NaNo. I am attempting a original fic for my first time.

24. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I should be working on my NaNo plot but instead I keep getting sucked into making other NaNo stuff... calendar wallpapers and spreadsheets and allll kinds of stuff. Who knew you could do so much non-novelling NaNo-related things?

If anyone wants to have a look, by the way, all the wallpapers and stuff are linked over on my writing blog, don't want to spam this thread with all of it. But I thought I'd share!

And ohhh wow, you guys, I'm getting a netbook for my graduation! And with any luck I'll have it by November! I'm REALLY excited for NaNo now. [face_dancing]

Also, congrats on the rejection, Ishtar! It probably doesn't feel all that great, but it's an awesome first step! Getting a reaction, even a non-interested one, is brilliant!

How's everyone's plot coming along?

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Vague main plot, a couple of characters and ideas - about the same as all the other times I've done it. I was hoping to have more time this week but we'll have to see. Tomorrow's project is to finish taking the storage heater in the bedroom apart to find out which heating element blew at 5am this morning so I can order the part. (The heater is still too hot to do it tonight). Then it will be in pieces in the bedroom til the part comes when I get to reassemble it again. Getting about 3 hours sleep and being awoken with light and sound effects isn't real conducive to Nano plotting! (Well, the light & sound effects might be.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.