main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2021 | November Word Race! - The Word Totals are In!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Oct 18, 2021.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    It's getting colder and creeping up on the end of the year, which means it's almost time for that mad dash to write as many words as possible! It's...

[​IMG]

What is NaNoWriMo?

At its most basic definition, National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo aka NaNo) is writing a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November (That's only 1,667 words a day!). Many people get so much more out of it, some people don't, it's really up to you what NaNo is about. Many people don't even write a novel, they are rebels and write short stories, or work on an old project! You'll be doing it along with hundreds of thousands of other crazy people, so don't worry about being alone in your insanity!

NaNo is not about writing the next best seller (though it has been known to happen) or writing the perfect story, it's all about the writing. Repeat after me: "It's all about the writing." The goal is to get it all out there, get your ideas down and don't worry about editing, grammar or plot holes... those are things that can be taken care of once the writing is done. This is a rough (sometimes very rough) draft. I'll say it again, it's all about the writing.

If you should decided to take on this challenge, I promise you this: you will write some utter crap so go ahead and turn your inner editor off now or it's going to be a long month. But in writing impetuously, you may find that giving yourself the freedom to just write -without worry- results in some truly amazing prose!

How do I participate?

You go to the NaNo website and sign up. Then starting at midnight November 1st (and no sooner!) write your heart out! You can write in a notebook, on your computer, heck, you could write on your walls, just as long as you don't write the same word over and over again!

Don't forget to check out the official NaNo FAQ.

I've signed up, what do I do now?

Well, you can start outlining your story, make your characters, do some research, but remember, no actual writing until November 1st! Any words written before November 1st (in your time zone) don't count toward the word count. If your more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer you can check out the forums at the official NaNo site and discuss pretty much anything with your fellow Wrimos and discuss the process here with your fellow JCers.

[​IMG]

I know the muse won't cooperate, so why should I even try?

Do you really know that? Really?

Give it a shot! Even if you only make a few hundred words, that's more than you had at the start of November! Maybe other people cheering you on will help inspire the muse to keep it going! Remember, it's not really about the word count, it's about the writing!

What do I get if I win?

Absolutely nothing!! [face_party]

But you do get the satisfaction of knowing you wrote 50,000 words in 30 days! We know for some people that's nothing, but for most people, that's incredible! And you have the start to a novel, or an epic fic, or several stories that are ready to be edited and posted!

But also the NaNo people make some shiny web badges so you can show off to the the internet how awesome you are! There are also a few companies that give you discounts or something free when you win so I guess technically you could win something!

If you've read this far and decided this isn't for you, just remember you'll never make it if you don't even attempt it. Many, many people don't make it to 50,000 words but there's still a lot of adventure and fun along the way!

Still not convinced? Tried it before and it's not for you? Feel free to keep tabs on this thread and cheer on those who are participating. We will take all the cheering (and caffeine) we can get!

So, you've decided to tackle the challenge?

Awesome! Welcome aboard! We should have a lot of fun! If you plan on participating, post here and we'll add you to the list of participants. As the month goes on, make sure to tell us your word counts so we can cheer you on and update the list! If you have a different name on the NaNo site, let us know so we can friend you.

Okay, you've explained NaNoWriMo, but what's this about a November Word Race?

For those of us mere mortals who think that the 50,000 words of NaNo are a bit too much, we are also carrying on with our tradition of a November Word Race for 2021. The rules for the Word Race are very simple: set your own goal for the month of November and then try your best to meet that goal!

To sign up, post that you intend to participate and what your goal is; be it a daily word count, a weekly word count, or an overall word count goal for the month!

The same as with NaNo, don't start counting your words until November 1st at midnight in your own time zone. Counting your words stops at midnight November 30th in your own timezone, as well.

Every few days (or every day, even!) let us know how you are doing. Please post your new words and your total words for the month. If you are doing a daily or weekly goal, you can certainly tell us how that's going, as well!

If you need a little motivation, you can ask for that too! We'll be here cheering each other on for the month. Together, there's no word count we can't reach! [face_dancing]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  2. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Index of Participants
    • amidalachick | Goal: 2,000 words, Achieved: 1,102 words
    • AzureAngel2 | Goal: 3,000 words, Achieved: 3,865 words
    • Briannakin | Goal: 10,000 words, Achieved: 7,371 words
    • devilinthedetails | Goal: 10,000 words
    • earlybird-obi-wan | Goal: 6,000 words, Achieved: 6,136 words
    • Findswoman | Goal: 3,000 words, Achieved: 3,569 words
    • Jedi_Lover | Goal: 15,000 words, Achieved: 50,166 words
    • Kit' | Goal: 10,000 words, Achieved: 4,500 words
    • Mira_Jade | Goal: 30,000 words, Achieved: 15,015 words
    • Pandora | Goal: 3,000 words, Achieved: 6,325 words
    • Raissa Baiard | Goal: 3,000 words, Progress: 1,504 words
    • RX_Sith | Goal: 3,000 words, Progress: 399 words
    • Thumper09 | Goal: 5,000 words, Achieved: 2,706 words
    • ViariSkywalker | Goal: 15,000 words, Achieved: 10,123 words

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    All right, November, let's do this. (And by this, I mean the word race, because I'm not sure I can handle the full NaNo right now. :p)

I'll set a goal of 15,000 words! I expect some of my WIPtober goals are going to spill over into November, so hopefully this will help me finish a few projects I've been working on for a while. ;)

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have to finish two diaries and some challenges so a goal of 4000 words would be nice for me

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm pretty sure my goal of one day doing the full NANo is pretty much dead (physically; my wrists just can't type as much as I used to), and with work this year being a needless gong-show (long story), this certainly isnt the November to test that! But I still miss sitting down and writing every day. It's been far too long since I've done that (or even written much at all) so I am entering the November Word Race with a goal of 10,000.

I'm going to learn from my mistake last year and NOT change my idea to a completely different fandom October 30th 8-}. I've got some vignettes to finish but I think my main project will be the WW AU bunny that I intended to do last year.

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Yay! It's great to see so many signed up already.

For me, I'm also going to have a few WIPtober goals spill over into November, I foresee - plus a few projects more or so. [face_mischief] I'm going to sign up with my usual 30,000 words and see if I can manage writing a thousand words a day. I have a good feeling about this year. :D [face_dancing]

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Goal is 10 thousand words for November...

I mean I wrote 30 000 words in September...so this I can do....right? Right? RIGHT?

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    All right, I’m going to sign up for 3000 words/100 words a day. I’d like to get back to writing consistently, even if it’s just a tiny bit at a time.

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The index has been updated! (And my apologies for the delay in doing so, it's been a week. 8-})

All of those goals look splendid so far! Who's going to sign up next? C'mon in and join the fun! [face_mischief] [face_dancing]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am still writing my 2019 NaNoWriMo. lol. Okay, I signed up. I will try for 15K words.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, shoot, I thought I had posted, but it looks like I didn’t yet! I would like to sign up for 3000 words (100 a day)—a (for me) manageable amount that will allow me to both catch up on projects spilled over from WIPtober and get started on some new ones. :)

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEAGE! More scrumptious reviews [face_laugh] =D=

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Added and added! It's great to have you both signed up. [face_dancing] :D

. . . anyone else feel like stretching their writing muscles this November? [face_batting]

14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    So, WIPtober so far has been nowhere near as productive for me as I hoped it would be because I've just found it so hard to write lately and I've been feeling super uninspired. [face_blush]

Which means the obvious and best solution to my writing woes is to sign myself up for more unrealistic and overly ambitious writing goals for November because I just never learn from my mistakes and a broken clock is right twice a day and whatnot.

That being said, please sign me up for writing 10,000 words for this November Word Race event.

I think that is overly ambitious enough for me. :p

15. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I will try for 3000 words for November.

16. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    November is going to be weird for me and the muse has taken a vacation, but I need to get back to writing. I'll try for 5000 words in the word race.

17. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    WIPtober was a spectacular failure for me (because real life sucks, not because of anything related to the event itself!) and I haven't written a word in two months, and hardly anything for months before that. I miss writing so much and I really want to get back into it.

So I'm going to try for 500 words a week for a total of 2000 words this November. Maybe I can even finish one of the stories I started last November! [face_laugh][face_rofl]:p

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This is turning into quite the fabulous collection of authors and goals. Yay! The index has been updated. :D

Do we have any last minute sign-ups? [face_batting] Come on in and join the fun! [face_dancing]

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, confession time: I might have written over 1000 words this evening [face_blush] - more words than I have in months. I probably should have saved this spurt until after midnight so that the words actually counted BUUUUUT I was in the mood to write and I had an evening with nothing to do (which has been rare) and I wanted to (start) getting this idea down and out of my head before I forgot it. Then words just began spewing out.

And hey, maybe it will give me a good leaping-off point. BUT if I am 1000 words short at the end of the month, I am going to be so mad at myself.

20. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    *Here just ahead of the very last minute.*

I don't yet know how badly this coming month will crush me, so I'm going to be cautious and aim for a modest 3000 words in the Word Race. Who knows--if I have the right project, I might even make that.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    It's 8 in the morning here in Holland and I have written 414 words for my OTP challenge.

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Added 714 writing two entries in the diaries and posting them

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Even though it´s November, I still have two new kids, both born in 2020, in my creché group. And the few times I am online are:

* enjoying the "Dungeon and Dragon" sessions with my Dutch brother-in-law who has a lot in stock for DarthUncle (his twin) and me
    * ordering train tickets in advance to make journeys cheaper
    * binge-watching
    * speaking to dear friends of mine via Skype now and then

But writing,... it does not come to me as easy as it used to. Creative stuff, even art, is rather difficult for me since many months now.

If I do 3.000 words by the end of November that would be amazing.

Well, sign me in and see what happens!

24. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Hm, now I wrote 1.715 words with introduction and all. Or do I just count the the core text which is the story minus the song text? Which would be 1.355 words.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  25. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I am inordinately proud of myself for meeting my daily goal with 142 words. :p