main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource National Novel Writing Month - November 1-30 2014 (All Over Now!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's 8:17 in the morning EST and I am still getting 404 errors.

This is getting really aggravating.

ginchy likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A lot of people are getting the 404s again today according to the tech issue thread - me included. I tried to update my word count just after 4PM UK time both via the novel edit and the top corner methods and got about 5 of them before the update took via the top corner. People are also reporting getting the 404s when they try to post in the forums. I didn't have that issue today though. I made it to 8657 today. Updated the totals here as well.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I got 404s when trying to post in the forum and when I tried to download a cover photo along with the count.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - one of the mods posted that the issue is being looked at as a lot of people are having the problem.

Just a time zone note - for those who aren't aware I'm in the UK so I tend to go offline for the day around 8PM UK time (about 20 minutes from now). So don't get antsy if the word counts aren't updated here the rest of the day.

5. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Today, was my new record. Another 3479 words. :)

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

No, but I have been writing for the past twenty-six years or so. I learnt through it from friends who were doing it. I'll go through a whole pool of Pepsi Max while doing it. :D

It's a SW fanfic alright, and the first fanfic I wrote since 2003 when I wrote some cringe-worthy Formula One-related dropping. I'm doing a story that serves as a bridge between my favourite cartoon series and a certain follow-up comic from 2013.

If I have the time, given my work commitments, I might start expanding an original novella set in real world, with original characters, as I always thought it could grow into a genuine novel.

3766 words so far, the account where I'm doing the fic is sheisalurdo. And I'm struggling to find a title, nothing seems fitting.

*hides under the table in shame*

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    List and counts updated.

Ewok Poet - don't angst on a title - you can do that afterward. Mine are generally called 'NaNo' followed by the year. So this year is NaNo2014.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Day 5 and my total word count is up to 8747. I also finally managed to sign up at the Nano site (as jadelotusflower)/

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I managed to get a whopping 4000 words done to day (or there abouts...) I did do a small amount yesterday (around 400 or so) but was really distracted and didn't add it to my word count for yesterday. I am pleased. Once I get going, it is quite easy! I need a rest now, though. In all, I'm at around the 9800 mark. I was hoping to get to 10,000 today but didn't quite make it. What I also like is that so far, I've not had many major issues with editing apart from the chapter I did on the first day, but one of the ones for tomorrow will need some editing doing to it because I need to cross reference it with some scenes in Unfinished Tales. So far, so good, but I imagine that my luck will begin to run out at some point along the way.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    List and numbers updated. I had a bit of an infodump today and made it to 11,096. Didn't have any '404' errors entering the update on the NaNo site so hopefully they found a fix.

11. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Today I wrote 1240 words.

It seems hard to write chapter about the inner conflicts and those characters guiding them through the cloudness of doubt, without going in circles. It awaits further chapters like that. :) But I feel it is kind mushy and bit incoherent. So it didn't go as fluent as other chapters.

gracesonnet likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I might be borrowing a plot point from Jane Eyre and Road to Avonlea. I just might be. How crazy is this?

6413 words.

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    8346, though the last 300 words I wrote tonight might not make any sense at all because I am sooooo sleepy.

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    9643 as of today.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Word counts updated. Also the NaNo techs think they've fixed the 404s.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    They sent an e-mail to apologise, too.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Made it to 13,380 today. I saw the email as well. No problems changing my word count today so hopefully that's a fix.

18. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I got to do 1799 words.

19. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Just over par at 10,013. Phew!! Goodnight fellow writers. Get some rest!!!

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    8201 at this very moment. :)

9868 on the other account, with the original novel, but I don't think I'll be strong enough to start filling the missing bits there, it's so much easier to write about entirely fictional characters.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Word counts update. We're almost at the end of week 1, and according to No Plot No Problem (the NaNo bible) our word counts at the end of day 7 should be around the 11k-12k mark. Quite a few of us are in that neighborhood. On to Week 2!

22. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm up to 11906.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I am keeping a head of it, just. Headaches aren't helping me at all today! It will need some editing when I am done, of course, particularly in regard to to referencing scenes in Tolkien's writing to keep things consistent and fix mistakes. It's a good thing I made quite a few reference notes over the year before I started on characters (even my OCs) or there'd be loads more. I would be much further ahead than I am at the moment if I'd not had a couple of bad days writing this week. It is not something I would want to do if I had other commitments as I don't think I'd be able to do this.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I made it to 15,380 today. Word counts have been updated.

With a week under our belts it's time to back up your novel if you haven't been all along. I personally use a USB drive just for NaNo. At the beginning I back the whole NaNo folder for the year up. Then after I type my words in every day I put an updated copy of the story (and anything else that's new or changed) into the backup copy. Doesn't matter how you do it - make that backup now..

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I use a Word document when on the computer and when I head out, I copy and paste everything to my Evernote. Funny enough, I seem to be getting more done on mobile.

This will be an interesting weekend. I'm supposed to get to the number of words you mentioned, do 18 more hours of work for one client (I want that cel and this way I'll justify spending silly money for it), 4-5 for another, 1-2 for another, fix a friend's website, see another friend, cook something I promised mom and perhaps go on another 30 km bike ride. Eeek! Why did I sleep from 2 PM to 2 AM? Whyyyyy...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.