main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource National Novel Writing Month - November 1-30 2014 (All Over Now!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Totals updated. I made it to 23,733 today.

gracesonnet likes this.
  2. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Yesterday I wrote 2064 words. I'm quite impressed how much I wrote until today.

Ewok Poet and gracesonnet like this.
  3. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    This week hasn't been that brilliant because I've not been feeling well. I will try to get something written this afternoon, though. Maybe I can catch up with things on the weekend.

I'm currently on 19,729 words, so I am catching up...Slowly. If I can make it to 20,000 today or there abouts, I shall be happy because at least I am not too far behind. I have to keep reminding myself that it is still possible to win this thing. I hope next week will be better for me.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Totals updated. I passed the halfway mark today - 25,629. My worry now is running out of story before 50k.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'll send you my new total once I've got this pesky confusing client out of the way, as he demands to see progress (as in, big flashy things instead of just backend work, which he apparently does not understand) by midnight. Gawwwd, I so wanted to write tonight.

Also, as weird as this may sound, does anybody else on here write parts of their novels (and stories or anything else) as the ideas come to them, regardless of where those parts go? I often have unconnected bits hanging on and then I spend most time writing the bridges between those bits.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I may resort to that if I run out of story. Any words count. You can always switch things around if you edit what you wrote. Any new totals I'll get in the morning as I'm about too go offline for the night.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I write scenes that I think would be funny and then try to fit them into the story. Right now I am just writing anything and everything. All that is required is you write 50K words...it just can't be the same word 50K times.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I was talking about general approach to writing, not necessarily NaNoWriMo.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I never have a plot outline to any of my stories. I write scenes and then try to fit them in. Nothing is planned out. It seems to work for me.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ewok Poet, that doesn't seem weird to me at all. I always, or nearly always, write out of order. Unlike JL I take a lot of time to think of the plot, then I write the beginning and the end (2-3 chapters each), and then bits and pieces until I've filled all the gaps. It usually entails a lot of back and forth to add a detail in a previous chapter, or remove one and push it back to a later chapter, so it's a bit time-consuming, but since most of what I write is detective stories it works quite well for me.

PS: I'm not doing NaNo because there's no way in hell I can write that fast in English, but I think I might do something in Greek next year, just for the company :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You guys are doing awesome! Keep it up! =D=

I do that, yeah. I usually have a file of 'random parts' of a story that I know are going to go at another point that I haven't gotten to yet. I've always done this, even back when I was writing papers for school.
    But when I've done NaNo in the past it's much worse because I want all the words I can get and if something is coming to me, I'm going to write it.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. And this is the first time I read about somebody doing it in school. We just...couldn't. We had 45 or 90 minutes to produce a story, short novella or an essay and we were doing it using one of those fancy pens with ink that could mess up your hands, and obviously, one would never know how long a particular portion of their work would be.

Got rid of the moron (hope this word is allowed), so now I have enough time to write, next to my main gig and well, actually having a life.

13722 until then, pfft, I'm coming in last. :p But those who dared to read the parts I already edited KNOW IT'S REALLY AWESOME. :D

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    For me, it's a bit of both. I do usually have a plan of where I want a story to go, but sometimes I get inspired by something which I didn't come up with initially and I try to find a way of sneaking it in somewhere. Humour is always good in a story too, but sometimes that needs more thought than other types of writing to make it work. The hardest type of writing I find though are fight scenes. I like them, but it is difficult to get them right and you need to get a balance between the amount of detail you put in them to make it exciting but too much can make following a fight confusing, so I try not to make them go on for too long.

Oh yep....I'm slowly creeping up on the total now. On top of everything, I've managed to catch a cold, which means my concentration and stamina is not as it was. I am glad that I managed to get a lot done last week. If I hadn't, I'd be very stuck now. I may, if I keep writing a bit a day, not fall too far behind and have a chance of hitting 50,000 words. It just goes to show that the best laid plans don't always help when Darth Real Life gets in the way. I'm hoping that I can at least make 25,000 tomorrow, but I'm going to give it my best shot if I don't make it. I'm currently on 21,999, so it is doable... I must keep reminding myself that dwarves make light of burdens...

However, I think I must call it a day for now because I'm feeling quite tired. I'm happy just to be able to get an entry written and out of the way.

14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Well, I got sick and haven't written since Monday. I doubt I'll hit the 50k mark before the end of the month, but I do plan to start again, and to continue writing.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Totals updated. I made it to 27,728 today. Hopefully I can take a break from it Sunday.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    26625 so far.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've updated your total.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    16307. Got a bit of writing in tonight.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Updated your total.

Everyone set for Week 3? We're at the halfway point!

20. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Back on course...

I've just got over the 25,000 word mark today. It's been a good day for writing. I'm going to see if I can beat my record this afternoon and do 5000 words in one day. I may not do it, though. We'll just have to see, but I always try to aim to be over the word count for a particular day incase there are problems later on.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    9061 so I'm way behind. :(

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Totals updated. I got on a roll today with just over 2400 words and managed to break 30K. I'll be taking a break tomorrow to enjoy the Sunday papers and think of new tortures for my MC.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    16125...I'm going to catch up, I'm pretty sure of that. :)

24. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    25,045, so just over halfway.

25. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    My official word count.... 26,754

Cold, you aren't going to defeat me....Nope.... I will complete NaNo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.