main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    THEY EAT PIECES OF LAKERS FOR BREAKFAST?!?!?!

EEEWWWWWWWWWWW

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    There's nothing like a little Kobe with a glass of milk...

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The lack of 4th quarter defense & being outscored 18 in the paint is what killed the Lakers last night. With how loud/animated the Utah crowd was, you'd think the Lakers/Jazz were in playing in the 7th game of the WCF. :p

4. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    [image=http://www.ticketspot.com/images/seo/nba-orlando-magic-banner.jpg]

6 wins in a row! :) To heck with the HEAT! My boys are Back!

5. septic

septic Jedi Master star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    Bulls are back to 9-9 with a 6 game run. great win over the Sixers - Gordon came off the bench and scored 17 points in the 1st Q - more than the whole Sixers team. such an infuriating player when he comes out like this and then follows it with a 2-10 shooting performance or something.

glad to see we're back on track.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    same for the suns. they destroyed a tired kings team two nights ago, and are now on the road.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    after the perpetual November Circus joke, we have a huge run at home. have to make the most of it.

Deng seems to be quietly having a breakout year. he's been the Bulls best by far.

8. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    The Bulls do look good this year. But the East is being owned by the Cavs.

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Huge fight today between the Nuggets and the Knicks. All ten players on the court were ejected. I heard a fight went out into the stands too.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    uh, are you in a time warp? :p that happened yesterday.

11. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah? Comcast.net has a time meter on all their news articles. The article I read had a "One hour ago" message making it seem like it just happened an hour ago.

12. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Melo got suspended for 15 games and one other Knicks player for 10. Can't remember the other suspensions, all in all 7 players suspended though. The harshness of the suspensions didn't surprise me, they had to be so. But man do Karl and Thomas hate eachpther now. I watched a video on espn where Karl was totally handing it to Thomas, calling him a ***** and sorts. Too bad we won't see these two facing eachother in the playoffs, wouldn't that be fun.

13. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I posted this in the JCC NBA thread, but it applies here as well.....

I'm glad Eddie Najera didn't get suspended(he was on the floor during that game, but only tried to help break up the skirmish). Everyone that did get suspended, got what they deserved though. I did feel that Melo could have done with an extra 5-10 games. I'm also disappointed that no action was taken against Isiah Thomas.

14. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Yeah I also kinda frowned upon his explanation that Denver shouldn't be having its starters on the court when leading by two digits. Sounded more like the whining of a sore loser to me. He was just pissed that Karl wasn't going to give the Knicks any chance of catching up. But whether he had a hand in the brawl or not, that's up for everybody to decide for themselves. It can't exactly be proven conclusively one way or another I feel.

15. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    I completely agree with that. I have always thought Thomas was selfish and I think this just further proves it. He may not have been punished by the NBA but I think this will be the last draw of keeping him around in NY after this year.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Sucks to be a Rockets fan. It seems every time they start making a nice run, T-Mac or Yao go down to injury. Now, both of them are out. I'm not sure how long for T-Mac, but they're saying six weeks for Yao. What a shame, for that team. They may have been smart to have aggressively courted A.I.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, the Rockets are almost developing a curse with the T-Mac/Yao injuries :p

Back when I used to have a favorite NBA team, it was the Rockets. This was around '93, '94, '95, that era mostly, when Olajuwan led them to back to back titles, but my reason for pulling for them was that I had (well, still have some, but not as much as then) a lot of family in Houston. If I absolutely had to pick a franchise, I'd probably still go with them, but only reluctantly. Though I do like Battier (Duke influence..), and Yao and T-Mac as well to a lesser degree.

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Lakers-Heat Round III

[face_tired]

You gotta do a better job ABC. You can only milk this 'rivalry' for so long. I'm glad I didn't watch the blowout anyway.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    what is the big deal about Dwight Howard? I don't get it. Stoudemire destroyed him, and he's never struck me as particularly noteworthy. I know his stats are pretty good, sometimes great in the rebounding department, but he's no stoudemire if the latter is healthy.

Could someone please enlighten me? I really can't picture Howard leaving someone stone-footed like Stoudemire did Antwan Jamison the other night, zipping around him for a reverse dunk in about one second.

20. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

You just gotta look at his stats, he's puttin up a double-double almost every game and is a huge part of the Magic being good this year. Yes Amare may be better but Howard is a very good player who has just gotten better every year.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The other thing about Dwight Howard is that on draft night, just about every ESPN pundit was shocked that a team would want him over Okafor.

The article you linked to is a bit over the top on praising him, but what Page 2 article isn't over the top, either in heaping praise or heaping insults? That's pretty much Page 2's thing, right?

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    but people across the league speak of him as some kind of all-powerful force, and while i realize he's just 21, maybe that's the point. he's no LeBron, who is worthy of that kind of praise and treatment, and who would excel in any era and against any team (or on any team).

Stoudemire is a much better offensive player and can hold his own on the defensive end if he wants to do so. Rodman was a rebounding machine, but he was no offensive force. Likewise for Howard, so far as i've seen.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Howard is an excellent player who will only keep getting better.

That said, LeBron is and will continue to be better. And he's not the only one like that.

24. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    It is unfair to compare anyone to Lebron. There are certain players that are in a league of their own. With that said, I think another big reason for the Howard hype is that he is an exciting player to watch.

25. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I was thinking to myself when Carter went for the quick dunk instead of looking for someone behind the three-point line that Lawrence Frank must have decided 'to hell with it, let's just foul them and try to run it upcourt afterwards-we've been beaten twice on buzzer beaters.' When Carter was going for the game-winner, I just knew it had to go in. It's good to know some semblance of karma exists. The Nets may have pulled this win out of their asses, but they were robbed the first three games. Overall, I hope the much-maligned (by me) Frank uses this emotional ending to the trip as a starting point for the upcoming homestand and second half of the season.