main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tom
    Team: golden state warriors
    Standings Expectation: 1st or 2nd in west
    Playoffs Expectation: title or bust pretty much
    Roster Related Expectations: potentially 4 all-stars again, curry and kd contending for mvp. what boogie will give them is the major source of intrigue.
    Other: win or lose, the off-season should provide some drama as it's going to start getting a lot tougher to keep the core together.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    CT
    Team: Detroit Pistons
    Standings Expectation for Success: 8th in the East
    Playoff Expectation for Success: Qualifying
    Roster Related Expectations: Reggie Jackson and Blake Griffin need to stay healthy for the team to succeed. Kennard's improvement. Continue to pay Josh Smith $5 million to train for his NBA comeback.
    Other: A swift end to the Andre Drummond three point experiment. Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin colliding at full speed, fusing bodies, forming Blandre Grummond, a single player with a $57 million cap hit.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Tunes

Team: Los Angeles Lakers
    Standings Expectation for Success: 3-6th in the West
    Playoff Expectation for Success: 2nd round appearance; competitive in said round
    Roster Related Expectations: Ball stays healthy to play 60+ games; Kuzma & Ingram's offense continues to improve; the likes of Beasley, McGee & Stephenson actually don't have many "Shaqtin'" moments; LeBron goes crazy with assists
    Other: Nicholson goes "old school"- goes to at least 25-35 games this season. :p

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    heels1785 and Runjedirun like this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh, i think jack will definitely be at a lot more games this year. health permitting of course.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Team: Philadelphia 76ers
    StandingsExpectation: 2nd or 3rd in the East
    Playoffs Expectation: Eastern Conference Finals
    Roster Related Expectations: Markelle Fultz to get his NCAA mojo back. Embiid and Simmons to make the All-Star team. JJ Redick to have the best averages of his career while feeding on second units.
    Other: Too many run-ins with M Night Shaymalian since we sit in the same section.

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    starfish

Team: boston celtics
    Standings Expectation: 1st or 2nd in east
    Playoffs Expectation: conference finals
    Roster Related Expectations: hopefully Hayward and Irving can stay healthy. maybe the younger players Tatum and Brown can take their game up another level.
    Other: hoping to make it to at least one game this season

edit, also I can’t believe the season starts tomorrow

8. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Runner

Team: OKC
    Standings Expectation: 2nd - 4th in the West
    Playoffs Expectation: At least get out of the first round of the play-offs
    Roster Related Expectations: Excited to see how Schroder plays, hoping he isn't in jeopardy of going to jail this season, cause he seems good. Looking for Adams to step up in more games. I want to see more out of Chris Paul. Hoping Westbrook keeps being Westbrook.
    Other: A win on Nov 2nd please. I have tickets and my son says he'all tag along :)

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Team: Bulls
    Standings Expectation: at best, a battle for 8th. I’d prefer another season of losing tbh but I think we’re in the horrible spot of being too good to get a top 5 pick next year, and not good enough to make the playoffs. Purgatory. Ugh. Screw you Mirotic.
    Playoffs Expectation: if we make it, 8th. And then soundly being beaten by the Celtics or Sixers.
    Roster Related Expectations: all about Lauri. Hope he continues to develop, hope we call more plays for him, hope he gets a little more alpha. WCJ to not give up his starting spot and makes me forget about that coin toss. LaVine, Dunn, Parker - hope someone steps up (doubtful it’ll be Parker).
    Other: Someone buy the rights in the UK FFS. Can I justify a league pass? Can I? I probably can. Can I? Probably.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    PG
    Team: New York Knicks
    Standings Expectation: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Playoffs Expectation: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH
    Roster Related Expectations: Hopefully Frank the Tank continues to improve and Knox looks good so we'll have a decent young core for next year when KP returns
    Other: Hopefully the Nets also suck.

12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL, I wrote Chris Paul but I was thinking Paul Geoge. I kinda have crush on Chris Paul [face_blush]. But I don't really like Houston.

Yes, you will get totally addicted to the league pass. Last year I was pulling out my phone to watch games when out. Seeing your favorite team all the time is great and after two seasons you can tune into any game just to watch some random guy who used to be on your team's roster.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Sith_Sensei__Prime

Team: Golden State Warriors
    [​IMG]

Standings Expectation: Continue to have same success as the previous couple of years. At or near the top of the Pacific Division of the Western Conference.
    Playoffs Expectation: NBA Finals
    Roster Related Expectations: The starters should be fine, but the bench is questionable with Patrick McCaw not on the roster, David West retiring and both Andre Iguodala and Shuan Livingston getting a year older and are entering their 14th season. Jonas Jerebko hasn't shown much of anything in the preseason. So, there's some question marks regarding the bench's scoring during the regular season. Kerr is unlikely to put on heavy minutes on Iggy and Livingston.
    Other: The Warriors last season seemed to lose interest in the regular season when they were locked into the Second Seed for the Western Conference playoffs. Not that it was a cause for concern, but it demonstrates some of the issues from last season, which was mental motivation and carelessness with ball security, as they frequently loss games due to the amount of times they turned over the ball. Of course, other teams in the Western Conference have reloaded and are determine to take their shots on the Warriors. The Rockets have been open about their desire to take down the Warriors, and they were pretty much a hamstring away from doing so last season. The Lakers have vastly improved by signing LeBron James and figure to finish second in the Pacific Division with "Lob City" officially ending with DeAndre Jordon leaving the Clippers for the Mavericks.

I think Boston will end up winning the East Conference and are a true threat to the Warriors repeating as Champions for a few reasons. One, when healthy, they match up tremendously well with the Warriors, as they are young and athletic and they can play small ball and most of their players have a high basketball IQ and can create shots for themselves. Plus, Kyrie has proven to score and take over a game against the Warriors. Two, Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches in the league. His play calling after time outs have become legendary. Moreover, he's been able to get so much out of so little the past couple of seasons, it's scary the potential he'll have when he has a healthy roster, as he took a banged up Celtics team to a seventh game against LeBron James.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Argh, I wish I had a team. Lots of fun reading these, even the loathsome epic’s.

Excited for tonight.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Suns sign Jamal Crawford. Strange. They need a point guard badly, which he's not, and I didn't think they'd want him taking shots away from their young players. I don't see how this works for Crawford or the Suns.

According to Lowe, if LeBron had stayed in Cleveland, they would have sent the 8th pick to Charlotte as part of a trade package for Kemba Walker. We talked about this on page 735.

You can thank LeBron for keeping Kemba, @anakinfansince1983 ?

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My predictions:

East:
    Celtics
    Sixers
    Raptors
    Pacers
    Bucks
    Heat
    Wizards
    Cavs

West:
    Warriors
    Rockets
    Pelicans
    Jazz
    Nuggets
    Thunder
    Lakers
    Mavs

ROY: Luca Doncic
    MVP: Joel Embiid
    Coy: Alan Gentry

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'll bite.

west:
    warriors
    rockets
    jazz
    lakers
    thunder
    spurs
    pelicans
    blazers

east:
    raptors
    celtics
    sixers
    bucks
    wizards
    pacers
    heat
    cavs

(i'll save my playoff predictions but warriors/cavs 5 is my dream :D )

coy: quin snyder
    roy: luka doncic
    mvp: giannis antetokounmpo (yes, i can spell it without looking it up)

Runjedirun and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Haven't spent much time, but I'll throw some picks out there.

East
    Celtics
    Sixers
    Raptors
    Pacers
    Bucks
    Wizards
    Heat
    Pistons

West
    Warriors
    Thunder
    Rockets
    Jazz
    Spurs
    Nuggets
    Pelicans
    Lakers

ROY: Doncic
    MVP: Kawhi
    DPOY: Kawhi, joining MJ and Hakeem as only players to win both in the same season
    COY: Stevens

Alternates for MVP: Westbrook, Kyrie

Finals: Celtics beat Warriors in 7

Runjedirun likes this.
  19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    lol perfect reaction

tom likes this.
  21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Only a few hours till the first game between the Celtics and 76ers. I expect this could be a preview of eastern conference finals. The two teams are a lot of fun to watch, both with some exciting young players. Should be a good game to begin the season.

Runjedirun likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Ooh, ooh, let me try!

East
    Raptors
    Celtics
    Sixers
    Bucks
    Pacers
    Wizards
    Heat
    Cavaliers

West
    Warriors
    Thunder
    Rockets
    Jazz
    Nuggets
    Lakers
    Trailblazers
    Spurs

ROY: Knox
    MVP: Kawhi
    COY: Casey

Finals: Anybody BUT the Warriors Please!

Thunder vs Raptors :D. Thunder in 6! [face_laugh]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The Raptors, to me, are the pivot point on the entire league this season. And Kawhi Leonard in particular.

If they have a healthy, motivated, focused Kawhi Leonard, Toronto is good enough to not only win the East, but beat anyone who comes out of the West in a seven-game series.

If Leonard lacks any of those things, though, and I do mean any of them, they could be a trainwreck. If he's just playing and biding his time to get to LA next season and sulking through, or if he's not healthy, or if he's just not himself. They drop from a potential championship team to the bottom half of the East. That's a major swing.

More than LeBron. More than Durant. More than Embiid. More than Giannis (I don't try to spell it). More than Harden or Westbrook or Curry or Davis. Leonard is the pivot point of the entire NBA this season.

After that, what I'm watching for:

1) Can Philadelphia take the next step and keep improving?
    2) What does Houston look like in year two of the Harden/Paul experiment, and with what looks like a step backwards on paper to their roster?
    3) What do the Lakers look like and how long until somebody gets LeSubTweeted?
    4) Is Minnesota Kevin Love in there somewhere? Is there a final form better than Minnesota Kevin Love lurking?
    5) Does Minnesota turn into a dumpster fire or a playoff team?
    6) Was the Jazz end of season a mirage or a sign of things to come?

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Here are my thoughts for the upcoming season:

Eastern Conference:
    1. Boston Celtics
    2. Toronto Raptors
    3. Philadelphia 76ers
    4. Indiana Pacers
    5. Milwaukee Bucks
    6. Washington Wizards
    7. Detroit Pistons
    8. Charlotte Hornets

I just don't like the Sixers coach all that much to be a second seed in the East, and they're still a young team. And young teams are not very consistent. If they were coached by someone else, maybe. I like Kwahi in Toronto. He's a Top Five player in the NBA as he can play both sides of the ball and make his teammates better. So, the Raptors will have a floor general and veteran leadership to take the second seed.

Western Conference:

1. Golden State Warriors
    2. Houston Rockets
    3. Utah Jazz
    4. Oklahoma Thunder
    5. Los Angeles Lakers
    6. Denver Nuggets
    7. New Orleans Pelicans
    8. Portland Trailer Blazers

And from the looks of it, no one is picking the T-Wolves. So, you have to wonder is Jimmy Butler going to be worth the headache if Minnesota isn't in the playoff hunt. But, as it was last year, the bottom four spots is up for grabs. The T-Wolves could conceivably be a Sixth Seed with the talent on the team.

I do expect the Lakers to get at least 20 more wins than last year with LeBron on the team, so that would give them around 46 wins, perhaps more.

I'm curious to see if the Rockets will be in alot of effort in being the numbers one seed again. James Harden average 35 minutes a game and CP3 about 32 minutes a game. And with CP3's history, it's likely he'll be injured at some point in during the season. So, I want to see if they take a more cautious approach as they were a hamstring away from going to the finals last year, as many would argue. And I'm not sure Melo is an upgrade for the team, as he not known for playing defense or playing well without the ball. So, that's something to look at during the season.

I think Utah is the another true threat to the Warriors, as they play team basketball, as oppose to iso ball. The Warriors have a much easier time with teams that play iso ball, that aren't lead by LeBron James.

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    My predictions:

West:
    Rockets
    Warriors
    Lakers
    Jazz
    Blazers
    Thunder
    Pelicans