main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think it will be a tough series, the Raptors are better than the Trailblazers.

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gor the 35th straight year, a teammate of Shaq has made the NBA finals (Danny Green)

Via Reddit:

1984: Greg Kite
    1985: Byron Scott
    1986: Greg Kite
    1987-1988: Byron Scott, A.C. Green
    1989-1990: Dennis Rodman, John Saley
    1991-1993: Horace Grant
    1994-1995: Robert Horry
    1996-1998: Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Dennis Rodman
    1999: Steve Kerr
    2000-2002: Shaq
    2003: Steve Kerr
    2004: Elden Campbell
    2005: Robert Horry
    2006: Shaq
    2007: Robert Horry
    2008: James Posey
    2009-2010: Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Luke Walton
    2011: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade (Dallas also had Shawn Marion and Caron Butler who were both traded for Shaq at different points. Butler went from Miami to LA in Shaq trade 1, and Marion went from PHX to MIA in Shaq trade 2)
    2012-2013: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade
    2014: Boris Diaw, Danny Green
    2015: Leandro Barbosa
    2016: LeBron James
    2017: Matt Barnes
    2018: LeBron James
    2019: Danny Green

Shaq teammates still in the NBA

LeBron James
    Danny Green
    Avery Bradley
    Rajon Rondo
    Jeff Green
    Goran Dragic
    Robin Lopez

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Well, no; Spurs won it in ‘03. :p

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    At least it's a new team in the finals this year.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And unfortunately the wrong team got replaced

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That was pretty darn amazing to see. Check out literally the entire city going nuts for it

(no arrests, one injury, someone hurt their foot in "Jurassic Park", the area in front of the ACC that basically extended for literally blocks last night)

Anyway, it was just fantastic to see the Raptors finally go to the finals, finally. Still not sure how Drake got an NBA Finals hat literally before some of the players, though. And, hey, people have been thinking the Raptors would lie over after going down 2-0 (myself included) but they keep coming back in the end. Momentum is a real thing! (although I will expect some scary moments of them being down by, like, a lot, wouldn't be a Raptors game if that didn't happen). They're even possibly getting OG Anunoby back after his appendix litterally tried to murder him about a month and a half ago! Team of destiny, dangit.

8. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Tomorrow at 10am my friend is trying to get me a ticket to the NBA Finals game 1. He’s a Raptors season ticket holder and gets first crack at extras. I’m praying he can make it happen because it will be better than the resale market . I’m expecting to spend over $500 CAD tomorrow for upperdecks to try to go to game 1.

Why? Been on my bucketlist a long time to go to a Finals game of some kind. I expected I’d likely have to drive somewhere else to do it someway. With my Raptors in it I have to try.

As the team looked better and better I purposely avoided going to a few games I had considered in the regular season with the goal of saving that money for those few games for a playoff game but wasn’t sure which game to choose. Until now. Can’t wait any longer.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    this guy is the Raps superfan who should get more press (courtside under the basket every game)

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’ve heard stories in Toronto about how Nav was late for a Raptors game due to traffic and went on the shoulder and the cops stopped him, recognized him, and let him go. Nobody says bad stuff about him. He’s a super nice guy from what I’ve heard and often let’s kids check out the court up close if they never have been down there. Raptors security lets him do stuff like that and he’s well known in the NBA now.

He’s very well-liked by the players too. I saw JJ Reddick talking to him in the 76ers series. Probably because he’s been there since JJ was a rookie.

He was at Vince Carter’s wedding back in the day and remains close to Vince Carter to this day.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    While we’re waiting on Game 1, here’s a pretty sweet throwback:

12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that's awesome. for game 1?

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Only your firstborn? Cuz if you burn the contract with the devil with the proper incantation it doesn't count!

15. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Could only get game 2 and yeah the cost was the most I’ve ever paid for any live event in my life but it’s just a bucketlist thing I felt I needed. Hard to explain.

I’m worried the Raptors might be able to catch them off guard in game 1 & then get smoked for my game as a revenge game. [face_laugh]

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Pfft, that's the most understandable thing ever! Why would you have to explain? Have great time @Ender_and_Bean

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i could just as easily see it going the other way. but honestly i have no predictions for how this series will go. a lot of people assumed that i was rooting for the raptors because they assumed they would be a better matchup for the warriors. honestly i don't think that's the case. the bucks' inexperience showed a bit in the ecf, and if it hadn't showed there i think it very well might have in the finals. plus i think they might have just been happy to be there. there will be none of that sentiment from kawhi, who already has a finals mvp under his belt and who is showing that he has an argument for best current basketball player in the world. the raptors' best bet is probably to do all they can to turn the series into as much of a defensive slugfest as possible. they have the personnel to do that, and they have the player in kawhi who can get tough buckets at the ends of games like that. kawhi scares me with how calm he is in clutch moments. this could be a great series.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Curry’s so hard to hate (beyond the mouth guard nonsense). He still seems to reminisce fondly of his time in Canada. Dude knows how to make us not want to boo him as much as other stars.

I forgot his wife was Canadian too.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ESPN felt like it was more Endgame with this video:

The Blazers and Warriors series was more a song of fire and ice.

In both videos, the Warriors portrayed the villains.

Back in April 2016, I visited Toronto and had the opportunity to catch the final Maple Leaf game of the season. I wore the home team's hat and sweater, but wore a Golden State scarf. During the game, I bought a soda from the concession worker working my section and he saw my scarf and asked me, "When the Raptors play the Warriors in the Finals who are you going to root for?" I answered honestly and the concession worker, in somewhat sarcastic and joking manner, didn't want to sell me the soda. Of course, he didn't know I was from the Bay Area. He was cool though, despite giving me a dirty look.

Here's me at the "Air Canada Centre" as it was called in 2016 in my GSW scarf and the Raptors' logo above me on the right.

[​IMG]

I love the city of Toronto and I was predicting they would win game six. I'm glad they made it to the NBA Finals and celebrated their Eastern Conference Championship in the city. There's nothing like a local team making to the Championship round to unite a city. That being said, I really can't wish the Raptors good luck as it's a conflict of interest. But at the same time, I won't trash talk the Raptors. The Warriors should not underestimate them and never feel comfortable with any lead like they did with the Clippers.

21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    You won't regret it. The spectacle of the thing is insane and it'll feel like you're breathing different air. Soak it in and enjoy it!

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So when the Toronto Raptors win do they invited to the White House or does Justin Trudeau have to step up?

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And then have the Raptors snub Trump for Trudeau?

25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    quite right

Juliet316 likes this.