main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    bulls are 23 actually. hornets 29, cavs 30. but i have a lot of issues with their rankings.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Cavs are releasing JR Smith.

@A Chorus of Disapproval - Ben Simmons has signed an extenstion with the 76ers, according to ESPN.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not unrelated

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Eh? The bulls will be a long way off last place. I’d say they have an outside shot at an 8th playoff spot, at a very optimistic push.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Q.

Why does ESPN discussions end up in a shouting match?

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i'm quite familiar with your optimism, loathsome epic.

[​IMG]

epic likes this.
  7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I did this over the weekend with @xblackout on 2k17. Some highlights:

--I picked the Nets and immediately traded Brook Lopez for Kevin Love, Channing Frye, and Rich

--LeBron won Defensive Player of the Year all 4 years I simmed

--He also joined the Clippers after a year, only to get repeatedly bounced in the first round of the playoffs b/c Chris Paul is not a winner

--Warriors still won the next two titles after 2016, and then I kid you not...lost Steph Curry to a torn Achilles

--Nets won the next title, feat. new coach Gregg Popovich, assistant coach Kevin Garnett (for real this is a thing you can do), Pascal Siakam (still a champ in virtual 2019!), sharpshooting Ohio State alum Jalen Kennedy (fictional rookie but still my favorite player now) and a 40-year-old Dirk

--I was offered Nikola Jokic straight up for Marvin Williams, in 2019

--It was around this time I realized if I'd make that trade that my starting lineup would be: Jokic, Kevin, Dirk, Danilo Gallinari, and Pat Connaughton with Delly as a 6th man. And had to question whether I was really racist.

--To avoid that I traded Marvin and Danilo to clear up a max spot for Kemba Walker. Only I didn't have to offer him max money b/c while every other team (Kawhi/Spurs, Kyrie/Cavs, L-O-effing-L) re-signed their star, Charlotte decided not to offer him anything. Trigger warning @anakinfansince1983

--Second game of the playoffs Kemba breaks his arm, and we end up 0-3 in the ECF against...Charlotte (feat. a resurgent JR Smith). Kemba comes back Game 4 and wins 4 straight. I'm really sorry @anakinfansince1983 I'm just gonna stop now

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I won the championship with the Timberwolves and the Utah Jazz (on a second spell) a few years later.

Officially retired in 2050.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    6th in the east is beyond even my optimism. Unless Lauri morphs into Dirk lite this year

heels1785 likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They won't make the playoffs, but they can win enough games to make you think they can compete for a playoff spot in 2020-2021.

I think they're on their way up. It's starting now. The tank should be over, and they've gathered a decent looking young core, particularly impressive when you consider that they never really fared well in the lottery.

Satoransky should please you at point guard, @epic He can shoot and he moves the ball. The Wiz were better with Satoransky than they were with Wall. Passes, assists, secondary assists, and points all went up. Porter was better with Satoransky than Wall. Satoransky should be much different from and better than Dunn, and make better use of all your talent.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Misery loves company

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If you're looking to get into baseball, @DANNASUK let me know. I can get you in with a team with a related owner and an ever bigger ability to squander resources

LloydChristmas likes this.
  13. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Got into a debate with my dad earlier. When you hear the name "Charles Barkley," do you initially think of him as a Sun or as a Sixer?

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I think of Inside The NBA, honestly.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    OOF, that's a tough one.

Suns. MVP, only Finals appearance. Then again, I don't really remember him playing for the Sixers. Slightly before my time.

He also always speaks highly of Phoenix and loved his time there. Can't say the same for Philly.

16. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Yeah, me too. But besides that.

17. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Are there any other NBA players where it's tough to say who their "definitive" team is? The only other one I can think of is Kevin Garnett, though that's probably 60/40 T'Wolves in my mind. Pau Gasol will also probably always be a Grizzly first in my mind, just barely.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sixer for me, that's when i was a huge fan of his. once he went to the suns he became a conference rival and was harder to like. also just seemed like he was a lot less explosive, though still a great player obviously.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Dwight Howard

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    chris bosh, tracy mcgrady, carmelo anthony all fall in that category for me just off the top of my head, i'm sure i could think of more.

21. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    That one is pretty straightforward. He led the Magic to that shocking cameo to in the '09 Finals, which is most notable for having deprived us of a Kobe-LeBron Finals that year.

In fact, has he even stayed with a single team for more than a period of two years since then?

Bosh is another good one.

tom likes this.
  22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah i know but he's bounced around so much since then, his time there has almost become obscured

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Phoenix, because of the ‘93 Finals.

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Suns but only because I was born in '89

25. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Oh, I just thought of another one that's "in progress," so to speak: Kevin Durant.

LeBron isn't a "tough" one exactly, but the problem is that the Greatest Game of his career is almost certainly Game 6 against Boston in 2012 in a Heat uniform. At least the defining Moment of his career is as a Cavalier.

EDIT: Sorry to derail the discussion about the ongoing happenings in the NBA world. If the old forums were still around this would have been a separate thread.