main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph NBC's new drama "Awake"

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Feb 27, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I forgot to mention Real Time with Bill Maher on my list of current shows that I watch...............it was for that program as to why I got HBO in the first place, which lead me to discover Curb & Entourage.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

2. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Neal McDonough is so awesome in this, he's like Paul Giamatti in Shoot Em Up. Mykelti on the other hand has done nothing cool yet except threaten to pull a tyler durden.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Just watched the pilot on NBC. It's got a lot of potential, I think. I'm interested to see where it goes.

4. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm interested as well. Might continue watching it.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The pilot is very good.

Unfortunately, I just read critics complaining that it turns into a "fairly standard police procedural" in the second episode. We'll see.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the thing is, if they're going to stretch it into a series, they can hardly spend the bulk of every episode devoted to his "problem". Otherwise they'd probably have things becoming resolved too quickly. I don't mind some procedural, so long as along the way the main plot also progresses.

I think the biggest question mark for this series will be how they even manage to stretch it out into a series. I think it's possible but requires a good deal of creativity and also support from the network. So we'll see. It's one of the few TV shows I think would possibly be better as a film, but it's only had one episode so I'll give it time. Right now I'm just hoping it gets enough viewers for NBC to give it that time.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I was too tired to watch this last night. I'll do the 'catch-up' thing on Comcast this weekend.

8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I have a lot of high hopes for this show. Probably won't watch it till I'm sure it will be renewed, or based off it's quality.

Still my fear is that same as with Alcatraz, it'll become a COP SHOW with a gimmick.

9. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, just watched the second episode and i have to say that was an interesting... thing at the very end.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    My first thought about the end was "Uh-oh." Now it's "****." I hope that gets dropped quickly, but it doesn't look like it.

That woman was on The Event. She ruins everything.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Maybe her ruining this otherwise promising new show is the actual Event.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I really liked the second episode. Not sure what I think about the ending.

I kind of like the idea that Britten's the one who is dead, however unlikely it is.

13. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm liking the series so far. :D

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Once again, I have to play catch-up! Watched the pilot episode, I like this series!!

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I love the show thus far. I'm not a Laura Innes fan. So far, she seems to be playing the same character she played in The Event. Dislike.

16. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    She should go back to playing Bunny on Wings. ;)

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    apparently it will be cancelled if u dont

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Or they can just resurrect ER and stick her back there. Her role is pretty much the same authority type character. What's interesting is that we only saw her in the world where the wife lives. We've yet to see her in the world with the son. So, she's either real, or if she's part of the dream, then maybe there is something about the accident he is trying to remember and it's doing it in typical weird dream ways (conspiracy, short people etc.) I'm not reading too much into it yet, though I did find the way she said "killing his entire family (or something similar) interesting, as the implication made it sound like BOTH wife and son were dead and not one was dead while the other survived. [face_thinking]

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    In the first episode, when he lost his rubber band in bed, I got excited. I thought they were doing a THIRD "reality" where both were dead.

20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i forgot to keep watching this. is it still good?

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    There have only been two episodes. I'll let you know if it passes the four episode test.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, hm, I'm not sure about the second episode. Just that end bit I mean. I fully expected from the pilot that he'd be slowly remembering bits of the accident and what really happened. But it seemed like it might have to do with him being drunk. Twisting that isn't necessarily bad, but I am not entirely sure how I feel about the whole "conspiracy by other cops" thing. It can go horribly bad in writing.

Laura Innes was great in ER (though her character was so dispicable), but I feel like she just gets stuck playing the same thing now. Not really her fault, though. Older women in particular have to take whatever roles they can and they're going to get typecast.

We'll see how it goes. There was a 20% ratings drop off which isn't great but might not kill it. It kind of depends on if it ticks up at all, levels out here, or drops more... NBC doesn't have many scripted dramas at all so who knows, although Smash with The Voice as lead-in certainly beats them all. Bit of an unfair advantage. Wait and see.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why did you change your signature, sj? At first I thought it was a typo, but it seems intentional now.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, that's what I expected from what I saw in the pilot. It could've been plenty compelling without a conspiracy plot shoehorned in.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just watched the pilot and this is pretty much what I thought. I'm definitely intrigued but I wonder if it would work better as a movie. Guess we'll have to see.