main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need help with Chiss Makeup

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sith-Man, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    My cousin and I are going to be going to Alamo City Comic Con at the end of this month. We're going Jedi, costumes are being made by an awesome tailor, and should be done very soon. However, the character that her costume is for, (a custom character), is a Chiss. I looked around online, but all the makeups I found seemed pretty much the same to me.

So, I was wondering, what kind of makeup would be best for turning her into a Chiss? It would need to be able to not just come off with sweat, or rub off her hand onto the lightsaber she's going to be carrying all three days. But still be able to be washed off.

Any help with this would be very useful.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've not done a lot of body makeup, but I've done a bit of research on full body paint for a costume (non-SW) that I want to do at some point so someone else may be able to answer your question better as I know there are people here who have experience.

I think it really depends on how much you want to spend. Alchohol activated makeup doesn't come off hardly at all, but it's pretty darn expensive.

I've read good things about Mehron (like can be found HERE) used with a fixer spray, but I've never tried it myself.

Some people also swear by liquid latex body paint, but having used liquid latex before (though not as a body paint, but for special effects makeup), I would think it would peel off a little too easily.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  4. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
  5. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Just an FYI, I have a huge tattoo on my leg and I needed to cover it for a historical re-enactment event. I bought Cinema Secret's tattoo concealer and used it with the Ben Nye translucent setting powder and Cinema Secret's setting spray, following the instructions on the Cinema Secrets site on using the makeup and setting agent. Some of it did rub off, but I was doing a lot of walking and wearing a dress with a slit up the side that was constantly rubbing against the makeup. Overall, I was pretty happy with it both on a coverage level (covering it was akin to making Maul look normal!) and performance.

I would recommend using cream makeup. It will smudge a bit, but the setting spray and translucent powder (you need to use that) make it smear less. It's affordable (the makeup on Cinema Secret's site starts at $3.50) and it ships fast. It can be re-applied easily. You might also be able to find some decent stuff at a Halloween store like Spirit Halloween. (I found Ben Nye there under a generic name- when I opened it up I saw the Ben Nye label and realized the zombie wheel I'd bought for $5 or so was something that sells for much more.) I've been sprayed with airbrush makeup, but on my face it was bad because it cracked and dried my skin out causing it to react and get oily. If you do go with the cream makeup, you might also want to get a small amount of white and black for highlighting and shadows as I've noticed with single-color makeup it can look really flat. And definitely practice the application! It's good to know how long it takes to do your makeup/get dressed when it's showtime.

Some more tips- I would suggest wearing gloves to the event (think about going to the restroom or shopping or eating). I have honestly not found anything that sticks to your hands and doesn't smudge or come off. And last but not least--if you use cream makeup, you need to take it off the right way or suffer from breakouts! Use cold cream and rub it over your skin. Wipe it off with a warm damp washcloth and repeat until it's all gone then wash your face with soap or whatever you normally use. : )

Good luck!

P.S. Here's a link- http://shop.cinemasecrets.com/makeup-special-fx-html/cream-makeup/cream-makeup-blue-125oz.html

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A22...n-Nye-Makeup-Professional-Artist-Catalog-2013

Or there is the cake makeup, which is what I read somewhere that was used for Darth Maul. It works like watercolor paint, but it dried my skin and caused me to get oily. I'm starting to think I have sensitive skin....

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A22...n-Nye-Makeup-Professional-Artist-Catalog-2013

6. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Wanted to add that SyFy has a body painting show now called Naked Vegas. You can get great tips from the show plus watch makeup pros test expensive products for free!