main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That Freedom Class is a gawd-awful eyesore but I really like the single nacelle Kelvin design.

Also I was watching Star Trek Beyond again and I noticed the cavalcade of different uniforms in that film is pretty wide ranging, even has some early Federation uniforms that recall the NX-01 uniforms. So considering how many different uniforms are in one movie, I think I'm done complaining that the uniforms in DISCO era are too varied. Although I would like to see The Cage / Where No Man Has Gone Before turtlenecks pop up at some point.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Pretty much every Trek show/era has had multiple uniforms at the same time (except maybe TWOK-TUC?).

Both TNG styles existed during transitions (plus flashback/hologram/timetravel TOS movie era), DS9 had TNG & VOY-style then those and FC style ones while GEN had a TNG/VOY mix as I recall.

And I never really liked the Kelvin- I still can’t tell which side is “up” on it. The original TOS-style concept art was only a slight improvement. My ban on single nacelle craft stands.

Heck, I’ll extend yay to odd-numbered nacelle configurations in general. The Galaxy-X is the only one I might give a pass to for obvious reasons but gen then, only STO variants have close to really making that aspect work...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As mentioned before, Star Trek won an Emmy for the whole franchise so here's the video

http://www.emmys.com/video/2018-creative-arts-emmys-tribute-star-trek

Back stage interview is on youtube too, Shatner immediately has his arm around Jeri Ryan, hahaha

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/10/wa...-tribute-to-star-trek-more-photos-from-emmys/

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/08/st...ors-award-discovery-comes-up-short-for-emmys/

Also they let Shatner on stage with a Klingon! Peace is possible, people!

[​IMG]

(It is a disco Klingon, maybe he didn't know what it was. Good to see Kirk front and centre just wish they had gotten more Captains up there but that's just me)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    DaddlerTheDalek and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The genre of music associated with the classic 70s band Qo'noS, SuS, je qul, presumably.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Klingon subtitle scenes in the show would have been more tolerable if there had been sudden Saturday Night Fever dancing.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Never before have so many paragraphs been spent on so little understanding of jokes.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Here's Mike Stoklasa's fan fiction pitch for the Picard series.

It's alright. Probably a lot better than what we will get. He had the same idea I did for the opening.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dahhh!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Did Akiva Goldsman get dragged out by the Quality Police immediately after that photo?

Patrick Stewart: "Guys, I have a great idea: dune buggies!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Don't post that on a public forum! Somebody might take it seriously!

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Stage 9 virtual Enterprise-D fan project was hit with a C&D. Sigh.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Picard series plans to be ongoing, will likely air before Discovery season 3.

Additionally, they are being careful not to overload on content:

"Kadin confirms that even if more “Star Trek” shows are greenlit and made beyond these two, the plan is not to have the shows overlap in terms of airing and in fact to have breaks between the various series to build up fan anticipation."

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also digging that split nacelle design. John Eaves designed that ship- and it will be getting a model from Eaglemoss as well.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gah! No! The proper number of nacelles for a starship is 2. Not 1, not 3, not 4, and 5 is right out. As Picard would say, "There... are... two... nacelles!"

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    USS Emmitt Till. I could see maybe Jake pushing for something like that as a tribute of sorts to Sisko.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    My only gripe is how many two-named Starships are there? Kinda hard to holler out "Hail the Emmitt Till!" when the Dominion is raining hellfire upon you.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm fine with an even number of nacelles, unless there's some kind of special multi-vector-type function being served. But for normal ships of the line, an even number is fine with me- especially if the idea is the ship is intended to sustain their maximum warp for a longer period of time than 2 nacelle ships. The Constellation and Cheyenne classes look fine, for example.

And this ship kinda splits the difference (literally) by having it still be only 2 pylons divided to hold 4 nacelles.

Not many, but they exist- there was a Runabout called the Yangtzee Kiang. The USS Valley Forge is the Excelsior-class that gets wrecked-up by the Dominion weapons platforms. Most of the others are just background LCARS registry names (ie: USS Albert Einstein, USS John F Kennedy, etc).

Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah there was the constantly overworked DS9 Runabout Rio Grande as well. (I remembered the name in my head - probably because it's in the pilot episode - but looking at the Memory Alpha page it got usage and probably battles every season, and even crashed once!)

Darth Caliban likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I really like that design. Very, very cool.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    got into a dumb Trekkie debate with a co-worker, Vulcan beards! Is it a thing? Can they grow beards? due to the shot of Beard Spock in the trailer for DISCO season 2. Well, obviously the answer is "Yes" because Evil Spock goatee in the Mirror Verse. but, hey, alternate timeline. Okay, how about blind Tuvok needed to shave in Year of Hell where he was too proud to ask for help. Okay, yes, BUT alternate timeline. So any canonical prime-verse Vulcan beards? No alt timelines allowed!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.