main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, in the Discovery trailer Spock has a beard, though he could be ACTUALLY FROM THE MIRROR UNIVERSE WHAT A TWIST AGAIN

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But YOH was an offshoot if the prime timeline, so it should count. Events may have splintered but Tuvok didn’t suddenly have his genetics rewritten.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Sybok had a beard, even if he wasn't your average Vulcan.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Searching around, there were sone unnamed “healer” and “master” characters in the 23re century too (presumably in the Vulcan arc of ENT?).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I know Year of Hell was a splinter timeline but, hey, it was still alt timeline so it was bugging me. Sybok, okay, cool. Pure Vulcan, that one was! But Star Trek really sticks to Mirror/evil for Vulcan facial hair don't they?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Tuvok's mentor also had a beard, during a flashback in a Voyager episode iirc.

DaddlerTheDalek and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It literally takes the same amount of time to say Emmett Till as it does Enterprise.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They’ve just announced a half hour animated series for CBSAA called Lower Decks, focusing on a support ship.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Way to repurpose titles, jerks.

RIP Ensign Jaxa...

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oooh it's from a writer who works on Rick and Morty and he published a book based upon a parody TNG Season 8 twitter account and he wrote the Mudd-centric Short Trek episode. So hey a comedy / adventure "clean up the mess" crew or something could be interesting. And if he wrote a TNG parody account I would completely guess it'll be TNG era.

“As a life-long Trekkie, it’s a surreal and wonderful dream come true to be a part of this new era of ‘Star Trek,’” said executive producer Mike McMahan. “While Star Trek: Lower Decks is a half-hour, animated show at its core, it’s undeniably ‘Trek’ – and I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program.”

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end.’ His cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed,” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every ‘Trek’ episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of ‘Trek’ to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First Contact, Emissary and Nemesis say “Hi!” [:D].

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Naked Now is tipping it’s hat.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nah, the title of The Naked Now is a follow-up or sequel to The Naked Time. The plot of The Naked Now is repurposed. ;)

Juliet316 , Diggy and PCCViking like this.
  14. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I would like to see the USS Emmett Till in a new Star Trek tv show like the upcoming Picard one.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I just had a thought about Voyager, the Borg, and The Next Generation.

In "I, Borg," Picard initially plans on introducing a virus to infect and destroy the Borg, using Hugh, before eventually settling on the individuality. Later, in Descent Part I, the admiral chastises him for not going along with the original plan.

But, as we saw in Voyager, would the plan have been effective? Icheb's people tried that tactic, and the Collective only cut off that one ship. Even Hugh's new ship was the only group of drones affected by his individuality.

Granted, the admiral couldn't have possibly known that, but that answers some questions about why the Collective was still strong, when even a large group of drones became individuals by the time of Descent Part 1 and 2 in The Next Generation.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One could assume one could assume someone has tried it before and the Borg, well, adapted and implemented failsafes.

And in BOBW we saw that even Data couldn’t crack the higher level functions access encryption.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Earlier this week, I received the model for the Cheyenne-class, one of the Wolf 359 graveyard "lost era" ships.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like this design, outside of the lack of a deflector dish (but these ships were never intended to be seen too closely, so one could imagine that, if we ever got a "hero" model made there'd be a dish added somewhere in addition to smoothing over the kitbash component details). Makes for a nice upgrade from the Constellation-class. You could imagine it having an interesting saucer-sep sequence since it would slide between the dual "necks".

Probably the coolest bit of info in the mag is that it points out that this specific ship, the USS Ahwahnee, is the only ship from Wolf 359 that was salvageable (that we know of), as it participated in the tachyon net in Redemption a year (or so) later.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    @The2ndQuest, I agree. I really like that design. I’ve never seen a Federation starship without a deflector dish. Very intersting.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Reliant didn't have one either. At least, nothing obvious.

seeker_two likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the Mirandas have been that glaring exception. Constellations as well.

If they were designed today, they’d probably have at least an NX-style forward notch deflector in the saucer.

As it is, there’s probabky some non-dish deflector tech they use- much like how most alien ships don’t have a visible deflector dish.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Philippa Georgiou, the Series! Maybe!

With lots of flashbacks to her Mirror-verse feud with Lorca, yes please. Unless they're doing it about the dead one. Or hell, they could straight up do both!

Oh and the new Short Trek came out yesterday. Very creepy yet kind of heartwarming. Good Star Trek (written by the fella who is working on The Picard show). Also, really important, it gave Trekkies the furthest look into the future of Trek, the year 3200-ish! Humans are still around, we didn't get eaten by the Borg, yay! The DISCO is abandoned, survives for 1000 years - waiting on it's last order - and gains intelligence! Really!

[​IMG]

So maybe some Discovery Series Finale spoilers (or they lose the Disco and then Season 3 is set on the NCC-1031-A). Or we can intercut with 1000 year DISCO in Season 2 and the Picard show? Or a spinoff of itself just being an intelligent 1000 year old ship?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    DaddlerTheDalek and Juliet316 like this.
  22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    hey i have a star trek question. in that next generation episode where they accidentally do a warp 5000 out to the middle of nowhere, is that supposed to be outside of the quadrants or whatever it's called that they always refer to?

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Was that a season 1 episode where Wes saves the day, yet again? I've managed to repress most of the details of that one from my memory.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it sounds like Where No One Has Gone Before, where they first introduced the Traveler. I actually liked that one- besides the relevance to Wes's character arc, seeing the Enterprise in that underwater-like environment where thoughts could manifest in reality was pretty cool given the sea creature-like qualities of the Galaxy-class.

But, yes, that would be outside of the Milky Way (which is divided up into the Alpha, Beta, Gamma & Delta quadrants). In fact, there's two jumps in that episode: the first takes them to a different galaxy and the second takes them to the edge of the universe, where the thought/reality blur happens.

[​IMG]

It's not a top tier episode or anything, but it's one worth considering to watch compared to the plethora of "please skip this" episodes in the first two seasons.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Diggy , Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well just another day as a kid trying to get by in the Mirror-Universe. Let's turn on the TV!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018