main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    LOL! Evil Mr. Rogers.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I shudder to think what lessons they teach on Mirror-Verse Sesame Street

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or Mirror-Verse Barney. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh that one is easy, it's just basically Predator with a giant plush purple dinosaur. Whatever kid kills Barney at the end of the episode is the victor. Temporarily, of course.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No. Mirror Universe Barney consists of an evil purple plush dinosaur eating a different multicultural cast in every episode. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Given Teletubbies, I think we are in the mirror universe.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But it’ll really just be an allegory for unchecked capitalism.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah it was pretty bad. i thought the traveler was played by steven soderbergh. i said out loud "hey it's steven soderbergh!". but it was not steven soderbergh, of course.

has there been any other episodes in any of the treks where they go outside of the milky way? i haven't seen much of anything past ds9.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, Voyager did enter fluid space in Scorpion, and there were several Mirror Universe episodes in DS9.

Edit: Voyager also went the Q Continum a couple of times as well...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The representation of the Q Continuum as a road in a dusty street was actually pretty great.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually thought he looked more like John Malkovich.

There's an episode of TOS where aliens hijack the Enterprise and go beyond the galactic barrier to head back to their own galaxy (it's the episode with the "What is it?" "It's green" drinking gag, IIRC). The Where No Man Has Gone Before pilot also took the Enterprise to the barrier but i forget if they crossed it.

The implied function/capability of the Enterprise-J by its designer suggests intergalactic exploration/travel, but that's not canon.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    what Nick Meyer was doing!

https://trekmovie.com/2018/11/21/ni...an-mini-series-and-talks-star-trek-discovery/

“I was commissioned to write a 3-hour or 3-night event, and that’s what I did. It’s called Ceti Alpha V and I don’t know the current status. It’s been up in the air. Partially, there was a lot of confusion between CBS, and there were big upheavals at CBS and while they sort of didn’t know who was in charge, they also didn’t know what they were going to do with Ceti Alpha V. I’m not exactly sure what’s happened, I haven’t heard from them in some time.

“It’s very good. It’s a terrific trilogy. I think one of the things that happened is they’re not sure that a trilogy is long enough to warrant the cost of doing it. Maybe it should be something longer, or … I don’t know the details of their thinking, because I haven’t heard them.”

Personally speaking, I'm down with the Picard show although I would scrub Lower Decks and Section 31 show for Meyer penned KAAAHHHNNNN in a heartbeat

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We knew it was a Kahn prequel, but I think this is the first time we've heard of the specific 3-episode miniseries format.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    maybe CBS wants something longer than a 3 hour mini? Hopefully it just didn't get lost in the shuffle.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, he says in that quote you posted that the short length may not have justified the cost.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Trek Voyager alum Sarah Silverman briefly recounts her role! ("Scientist in a half-shirt!") And some juicy tidbits!

"Could not tell you either of their names."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "There is *no way* that is the first thing that comes up." [face_laugh]

By process of elimination, if we are restricting things to the cast and not the crew, could she be talking about Tim Russ? I think her scenes were with Tuvok and Paris and Paris was her on-screen interest.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Basically every scene Silverman has in those episodes the only Voyager cast regulars she interacts with is Tom Paris and Tuvok (Her griping about how Paris and Tuvok talk back and forth is genius) and Rain has a romantic subplot with Tom. So, yah, it's possible she's talking about Tim Russ but it's also possible she's just making a joke. Great story, though. And not her first reference to her Voyager gig, once every few years she'll still bring it up. And Rilley looks straight up amazed when she admits she was on it.

Bring back Rain Robinson on Discovery! Or the Picard show! Or one of them Short Treks! Her story isn't finished! (Maybe she was the one who shot Khan and his followers into space in the late 90s hahahaha)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Mikey Dorn still pitching that Worf-erprise show. Y'know considering how all out CBS All Access is going with Star Trek content, he might not be entirely off. But please give me Cetti Alpha V miniseries first kthanks.

Or, y'know, Dorn is going to be around what with a Picard show happening and all. Honestly, I'd put Worf, Geordi and Riker as my top #3 likely to return from the TNG vets. And if you start dipping into the VOY and DS9 cast, it becomes a really wide net.

https://www.inverse.com/article/51100-star-trek-next-generation-reboot-cast-worf-spinoff

“This is, I think, perfectly timed and placed,” Dorn tells Inverse. “You’re not stepping on anybody’s toes, and I always thought the Klingon Empire was a great empire to write about because it’s Shakespearean.”

The series, which would star Dorn as the captain of a Klingon ship outside Starfleet jurisdiction, might also offer some interesting parallels between a changing Klingon civilization and the issues facing America today.

“The Klingon Empire has had to evolve and change and they don’t like that and they’re fighting it every step of the way,” Dorn says. “They’ve had to introduce aliens into their society. Just like our world now is becoming a global world where it’s not just like, ‘Oh we’re Californians and that’s all that really matters.’ We’re talking about something here and it affects China.”

Worf has always been the most macho of the characters and so we are going to have battles and hand-to-hand combat,” he says. “There’s gonna be talking, but there’s gonna be assassinations and coup attempts.”

The spinoff series would also follow a familiar episodic format.

“Worf is on a ship and he’s going out and all the adventures are happening with him,” Dorn says. “Every episode is like the original or Next Generation. It’s a self-contained episode that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. And it says something.”

As for the possibility that Worf might make an appearance in the already-announced Next Generation reboot, Dorn wouldn’t rule it out, but he did have one big condition: It can’t just be a cameo.

“I’m only interested in if it’s something really interesting; if the character was a major part of the franchise or whatever the show is,” he says. “He’s not just going to show up, beat somebody up, and then go home.”

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I actually really want a scene where Picard and Janeway compare notes on Q.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I want the Picard show pilot to be just Encounter at Farpoint 30 Years Later, less Gropler Zorn, more Q trial. Wait, that's just All Good Things... isn't it? Ah well, y'know what I mean.

Another fantastic thing about All Good Things ... is basically Braga and Moore cranked it out while they were really devoting their efforts into Generations writing and rewriting. Look at how that one turned out!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    PCCViking likes this.
  24. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Does anyone want to discuss Starfleet bridge stations/consoles?

I find it interesting that the Constitution-class NCC-1701 USS Enterprise had about 10 bridge consoles. By the time the Excelsior-class NCC-1701-B was commissioned, it was up to 16 bridge stations. Then, some 80 years later, the Galaxy-class NCC-1701-D had it down to 3 bridge stations (operations, conn, and tactical).

I think 3 bridge stations is fine for your average expedition, but Starfleet probably learned some hard lessons in the Dominion war. Having the chief tactical officer maintaining the tactical picture, firing weapons, and directing shields is a lot. Even having the flight officer be responsible for plotting courses could cause delays at inopportune times.

Were I designing a bridge it would have many more consoles:

6 x Operations consoles: shuttle launch/recovery operations & away team control, sensors, communications, conn, navigation, and a master operations console.
    5 x Tactical consoles: master tactical/security console, security, phasers, torpedos, and shields.
    4 x Engineering consoles: master engineering console, propulsion, power, and damage control
    Science console

Not all of these stations would typically be manned. As with the Galaxy-class you could easily get away with 2 or 3 consoles during a normal shift. But with a red-alert, I would expect all consoles to be manned.

With all the different bridge configurations we have seen in Starfleet, does anyone think that it's almost to the point where each ship gets a unique bridge design based on it's captain's wishes, assigned crew, or mission profile? I mean even the number of command chairs varies widely between 1 and 3. Obviously this is simply to meet the demands of each story, but it sure doesn't seem like the bridges are very standardized between ship classes or even flights.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Galaxy had more than 3. There were stations at the back-- a science station and an engineering one and at least one other.