main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think his point is that they weren't manned consistently, especially during routine hours, unless on a specific science mission which had the scientist at the Science station?

Sarge likes this.
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    And lot of the science functions were often performed by Data and Wesley at Con and Ops.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The explanation is likely budget. In Generations they added more consoles and had the bridge populated. In the show they just didn't want to waste money on extras doing nothing in the background.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, and even tactical was designed to have multiple users- it's just normal operations where you'd only need one and so when something surprises them you only have that one person. I imagine if you knew you were going into a combat zone you'd man it with more than one person.

Of course, the show never really did that much- maybe Riker would back up Worf a couple times but we never got the extra crew member joining Worf. I think that's something that may have gotten lost when they streamlined things to Worf after Tasha left. I'm assuming simple budget and it made it easier to film when the extras have their backs to the camera and aren't sharing the same stage as a series regular.

As for the bridges- we know the bridges are modular (and we even see one getting installed at the end of STB) but, of course, OOU the answer is simply that they redressed whatever stages and sets were currently standing. Enterprise-A reused the bridge from III in IV (just repainted), but that became the battle bridge for the D on TNG so they built a new one for V and reused that (with modifications to make for a slight transition towards the TNG aesthetic) for VI for both the A and Excelsior. That bridge later became the Enterprise-B bridge and other Federation ships on the shows.

IIRC, the only parts of the III/IV/BB set that were saved/reused for the V/VI set were the turbolift alcoves- and they went on to be part of the E's bridge and a non-bridge set for the D on ENT.

EDIT- Also, got my USS Titan model today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    All good points. I realize that it's all related to budget/story, but the computerization that seems to have taken over bridge positions on Starfleet ships seems to have gone too far.

Changing topics, I have read:

-The Left Hand of Destiny duology - good
    -Prey trilogy - decent
    -Destiny trilogy - amazing

What novels would anyone recommend next?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This multipack of the TNG BD movies finally figured out a way to get people to watch Insurrection: Trick 'em!

[​IMG]

7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Just rewatched Parallels and finally noticed that cardassian Starfleet officer on the bridge.

It also made me wonder about something I had before, that being how the bajorans managed to overpower the cardassian empire and apparently embark on a campaign of revanchism and aggression.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    That was also the reality where Picard was killed at Wolf 359 and Riker was the captain. Maybe Picard had been more of a moderating force on Ro Laren, and the events of the episode "Ro Laren" unfolded quite differently in that timeline. Maybe the Bajorans felt betrayed or some of the Federation was willing to help them directly, only for it to bite them in the rear.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Picard show tidbits! It's shooting in California as opposed to Toronto where DISCO is shot, maybe Stewart wanted to be on the old Paramount lots again but probably tax incentives.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/12/10/star-trek-picard-series-different/

“It’s an extremely different rhythm than Discovery,” Kurtzman told EW exclusively. “Discovery is a bullet. Picard is a very contemplative show. It will find a balance between the speed of Discovery and the nature of what Next Gen was, but I believe it will have its own rhythm.”

Continued Kurtzman: “Without revealing too much about it, people have so many questions about Picard and what happened to him, and the idea we get to take time to answer those questions in the wake of the many, many things he’s had to deal with in Next Gen is really exciting. ‘More grounded’ is not the right way to put it, because season 2 of Discovery is also grounded. It will feel more… real-world? If that’s the right way to put it.”

Only Stewart has been cast in the spin-off so far, Kurtzman added. “The writers’ room has broken about eight episodes and we’re moving quickly, and I couldn’t be more excited about it,” he noted. There’s no premiere date announced as of yet.

Anyone think in the 1st season we'll have some long buried Locutus of Borg tidbits bubble to the surface? It was kind of random when it appeared years later in First Contact but totally worked. He DID get over it emotionally and cathartically when he snapped the Borg Queen's neck but you never know when the Borg would be filtering around in Picard's brainstem.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    FC wasn't totally random- he dealt with similar issues in I, Borg as well. I think it has more to do with exposure or proximity like encountering a Borg for the first time since BOBW or their proper Collective (not rogues) beginning their invasion at the start of FC.

As for the Picard show, I'm curious to see how much they'll integrate from Countdown, since Kurtzman worked on the story for that as well.

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Even encountering the rogues, he still dealt with the repercussions, although that probably had more to do with the admiral lecturing him about Hugh and the refusal to use the virus. However, while the admiral couldn't have known it at the time, as it turned out, it's doubtful that infecting one ship would have destroyed the whole collective. Icheb's people tried that, and it didn't happen. The future Admiral Janeway's plan was more effective since she infected the Queen herself (which hurt the rest of the collective) when she assimilated Janeway directly.

Again, the admiral couldn't have known that, and neither could Picard. The individuality plan just caused the Collective to cut off Hugh's ship from the rest of the hive mind just like Icheb's ship was.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I think we've had a few "final" Borg stories, Best of Both World's ending is pretty final (at that point there has only been established as only 1 big Borg cube). TNG I, Borg with "individuality will stop them! Wait, nope." and in Descent they don't mention the rest of the Collective so for all intents and purposes according to that story that *was* the final Borg story, they all became Lost Boys. First Contact introduces and then kills off the Queen, all Borg supposedly dead (even though just 1 cube). Voyager finally showed Borg Space and the millions of ships they had and they ended it with blowing up Unimatrix Zero Home base and cutting off their wormhole technology. (There's also the Brannon Braga penned comic "Hive" which is his Final Final Borg story, worth a look since Braga co- wrote a hellova lot of Borg stories, a few of those "final" ones too.).

I think it's *really* likely they'll show up on Picard's show and I'm guessing he may have some Locutus still in him somewhere. And I'll eat this post if the only TNG-er that we see all season is just Jean Luc Picard.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don’t know- I don’t see “More Borg” being an idea that would draw Stewart back to the franchise. I don’t see them focusing on them.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not focus but I'll be damned if they ain't showing up. Season finale, probably.

Unless it's like a "tease the Enterprise in the last minute" like Discovery S1 ended instead here with a Borg-centric teaser but I'd think it's really likely we'll see the Borg in S1 overall.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The thing is, they have, so far, been emphasizing the "contemplative" nature of the series and how it's not a TNG reunion show and will be very different from Discovery by being more "grounded". The Borg tend to suggest "action", not "contemplation", and more space opera-y scenarios (I mean, a Cube in the Alpha Quadrant would not exactly be a small-scale event). And the writers must be aware of longstanding concerns over overusing the Borg and final-final-final Borg stories. It'll have been 18 years since Voyager aired, sure, but that's still a lasting impression that has endured over the years. So I think they'd be hesitant to hit that well so soon.

I think it more likely that, if we were going to have any aspect of the Borg in the show, we'll see it more along the lines of any lingering mental or physical trauma he's dealing with, rather than him actually encountering a Cube or drone.

I think we can expect less BOBW/FC Picard in the show and more Family/Inner Light/Drumhead/Chain of Command/Captain's Holiday-type Picard.

Also, didn't see this when the pic was floated around the other month:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm surprised they never really dealt with the repercussions of Picard's torture at the hands of Gul Madred in the two part episode "Chains of Command." Compared to being assimilated by the Borg and being used to attack the Federation, it's a minor thing, but it was pretty severe nonetheless, especially when Madred would lie about having captured Crusher, stripped him naked, and would refuse to call him anything more than human.

17. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    It might have worked. The Borg were different at that point in time. First Contact probably changed the timeline. They originally had no queen and "Q Who" was the first contact with them. There even might have been no Seven of Nine in the original timeline, who later is seen talking about a pogo paradox in "Relativity", because the Hansons like the rest of the Federation never knew that something like the Borg does exist and the Borg had other priorities than assimilating biological species at that time.

And something like "Regeneration" in Enterprise never happened in the original timeline, because there never were any Borg on Earth in the pre-First Contact timeline.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It's a time loop-Seven agrees with Lieutenant Ducane who states the Borg are indirectly responsible for the birth of the federation. Regeneration made that pretty clear I think. Seven also says to B'lanna "the borg were present at those events" regarding Cochrane and warp flight.

I know they won't do it-but I would love it if they adapted star trek destiny and did the final borg invasion of the novels.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That would be awesome if they did that. I have the omnibus edition of Destiny and it was a great read. I would love to see Levar Burton and Patrick Stewart act out the scene where Picard tries to order Geordie to build thaleron weapons to fight the Borg and Geordi absolutely refuses.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Oh yeah that would be a wonderful scene-and you can get Nicole to reprise Ezri, Jeri to reprise Seven, as well as a few other actors for a grand finale.

I would pay a lot of money to see that adapted.

21. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe the Federation was originally founded without any Borg influence at all but Seven, the Borg and even Ducane and the 29nth century starfleet, even with their advanced temporal technology, aren't able to detect how things were because of the temporal cold war.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Saw this online and thought it was funny:

[​IMG]

[face_rofl] [face_laugh]

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Does it have counterparts for the other series besides TNG? Or a Star Wars counterpart for that matter?

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Not that I can tell for the original, DS9 or Voyager casts, but there's this:

[​IMG]

And here's one for Star Wars:

[​IMG]

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    anyone watch the last 2 episodes of South Park? They had Jeff Bezos on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally on-point Talosian impression from Trey Parker too, it was great.