main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, wait until it get consistently good in season 3. There are actually some really good ideas in seasons 1 and 2, but they were never really followed up on, which is actually kind of a shame, because Wesley in particular potentially could have had an awesome character arc.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    TCF-1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    PICARD: I see in your file that Captain DeSoto thinks very highly of you. One curious thing, however, you refused to let him beam down to Altair Three.
    RIKER: In my opinion, sir, Altair Three was too dangerous to risk exposing the Captain.
    PICARD: I see. A Captain's rank means nothing to you.
    RIKER: Rather the reverse, sir. But a Captain's life means a great deal to me.
    PICARD: Isn't it just possible that you don't get to be a Starfleet Captain without knowing whether it's safe to beam down or not? Isn't it a little presumptuous of a first officer to second guess his captain's judgment?
    RIKER: Permission to speak candidly, sir?
    PICARD: Always.
    RIKER: Having been a first officer yourself, you know that assuming that responsibility must by definition include the safety of the captain. I have no problem with following any rules you lay down, short of compromising your safety.
    PICARD: And you don't intend to back off that position?
    RIKER: No, sir,
    PICARD: One further thing. A special favour.
    RIKER: Anything, sir.
    PICARD: Using the same kind of strength you showed with Captain DeSoto, I would appreciate it if you can keep me from making an ass of myself with children.
    RIKER: Sir?
    PICARD: I'm not a family man, Riker, and yet, Starfleet has given me a ship with children aboard.
    RIKER: Yes, sir.
    PICARD: And I don't feel comfortable with children. But, since a captain needs an image of geniality, you're to see that's what I project.
    RIKER: Aye, sir.
    PICARD: Welcome to the Enterprise, Commander Riker.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    and that's how Captain Picard Day was born, I guess. Good job, Riker!

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Judging by how he lives his life these days, it worked.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, she liked it as in she likes the characters and the setting. She still agrees with most of the common complaints about season 1.
    We're well into season 2 now though so we're getting to the really good stuff. :)

I think TNG is one of the rare shows that keeps getting better and better through the series, when most shows peak relatively early in their run.

Juliet316, BigAl6ft6, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know if that's necessarily true- up until recently with the binge era model where seasons are short and focused, traditional shows often don't start to peak until their middle seasons. How often do you hear "Oh, once you get to Season 3 or 4 it gets REALLY good!" when people recommend shows? Granted, that also generally applies to Star Trek shows too, but that's more because they are part of the pattern, not the exception.

I don't think you start even seeing "great first season" observations until early/mid-00's like BSG & Firefly and even then they were still pretty rare until the 2010's.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Ramza like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, with older shows it’s definitely rarer when they hit the ground running. There are arguments, for example, that seasons 1 and 2 of Frasier are its absolute best, and at the time the reaction was outright astonishment that anything could be that good from the jump.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The impression I get is that, at least for the original series, the first season and a half are much better regarded than late Season 2 and Season 3.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, IMO, one exception where a show is better in the early run than the latter is Lois & Clark, at least in terms of the villains. Having Luthor as the overall villain of Season 1 was better than some of the hokey ones in Season 4 (the weakest of the series). Not to mention there was something better about Lois & Clark's chemistry when she didn't yet know he was Superman.

Juliet316, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are examples both ways. seaQuest DSV had a great first season, then a terrible studio-interferred second season. Then a pretty good relaunch for its third season. Sliders had a great first season or two then went steadily down hill for several seasons. Babylon 5 didn't hit its stride until mid Season 2/Season 3.

I think that is the consensus, but I feel what's really being conveyed is that Seasons 1 & 2, while having most of TOS's most classic episodes, is being more remembered for classic moments in episodes that really weren't that good in the long run. Late Season 2 and Season 3 in general tend to, IMO, have a much more consistent and higher quality execution, but are paired with fewer memorable episodes. They also recycle a lot of story ideas and themes from earlier in the series so there is a bit of a remake syndrome going on at that point- but, in that stretch's favor, those episodes tended to execute those story ideas better than their S1 & early S2 progenitors, IMO.

So, TOS is kinda an example of both peaking early and peaking later, in a way.

Juliet316, BigAl6ft6, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, especially considering that Frasier was spun off of Cheers, and Cheers is ranked up there with The Simpsons, I Love Lucy and MASH as one of the best sitcoms in the history of television.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I couldn't disagree more - I tend to peg quality TOS more or less precisely to Gene Coon having control - but I agree that it should be regarded as an uncharacteristic show when you're trying to track trends. Like, it literally got brought back from cancellation for the sole purpose of extending its episode count to get it syndicated, and then went on to be the source material for one of the most well-known fictional settings in human history. This is somewhat atypical.

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  13. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Some of the characters were really different in Season 1 and 2, especially Picard and Data (who openly showed emotions). And the lore was different too (The Federation was at peace for a very long time. So no war with the Cardassians. And the Klingons were Federation members. Not to forget the way humanity was presented in this seasons). That's why in my headcanon the timeline was changed at some point because of some time travel (Temporal Cold War?)...

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    TBF though, the Cardassian Union was not presented as a serious threat when they were first introduced in The Wounded. In both engagements (vs. the Enterprise and vs. the Phoenix) the Cardassians got utterly curbstomped. IIRC, the exchange with the Enterprise went something like-

Worf: A Cardassian ship is approaching. They are opening fire.
    *blam*
    Picard: Hail them.
    *blam*
    Worf: They are not responding.
    *blam*
    Picard: Raise shields.
    *blam*
    Picard: Return fire. Disable only.
    Worf: Firing.
    *pew pew*
    Worf: Target disabled.

EDIT: I just re-watched those scenes, and it wasn’t quite as I remembered. The Enterprise only took one volley (suffering insignificant damage) before raising shields, and returned two volleys before the Cardassians were disabled and surrendered. The Phoenix shrugged off a direct salvo while unshielded (the Enterprise provided the prefix codes [WoK reference] to an interceptor ship) before one-shotting the cruiser.

Also, Gul Macet was utterly astonished at the tactical scanning capacity the Enterprise displayed.

15. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    By the way, with ships as weak as that, i really wonder why the Klingons didn't conquer them at day one of their invasion of Cardassia in DS9. And not to forget the different makeup. Proof for another timeline change??

Edit: Added an additional point.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    TV shows back then-- and TV shows now-- changed as they went along and didn't have their universes set in stone. Cardassians, meant to be one-episode aliens, were not the same as the Cardassians who showed up around the time DS9 premiered. Borg in "Q Who?" had no interest in assimilating people-- growing new drones themselves-- and in "Best of Both Worlds" it was almost stated outright that Picard was a special exception. The Founders sending individuals of their own species to explore the galaxy makes no sense given their xenophobia and mastery of genetically modified slave races.

Ideas change and sometimes for the better. I'm not sure why we have to come up with dumb in-universe explanations. As a franchise that's over 50 years old and with, what? over a thousand hours of filmed content? Trek has never been all that consistent

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I’m not sure that the Cardassians were ever intended to be aliens of the week. Picard’s speech at the end of The Wounded is very prophetic. I would not be surprised at all if a lot of the ideas that were rejected for TNG ended up in DS9.

18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    At the very least, the later uniforms for the Cardassians were better than the first.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Indeed. At first I was like “ they look like the Gimp in Pulp Fiction”. [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    It's fitting that Marc Alaimo played the first Cardassian ever seen on both TNG and DS9: Gul Macet in TNG, and of course, Dukat in DS9.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Armin Shimerman also played one of the first Ferengis. The Ferengi are another race that changed a lot since their introduction, going from being marauders who are supposedly a legitimate threat to Starfleet to weaselly space capitalists (who somehow never enslaved or conquered anyone).

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It's not enslavement when you pay them absolute-minimum wages and it's not conquering when you buy the land :emperor:

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DS9 was being developed during TNG Season 5- so while the Cardassians and Trill may have been one-offs in TNG S4, it's probably no coincidence that TPTB drew from recently established lore with them (plus current-season-introduced Ro). But not as directly as TNG S6 seeded VOY. Though it might be a coincidence that S4 also was the first to spotlight Miles as well. Still, that stretch does retroactively end up being the DS9 seed season (especially once you factor in the Klingon stuff that DS9 would follow-up on down the road).

24. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    In retrospective, it's interesting that Season 4 of TNG was the first time that the Federation was shown to have been at war at the time of the first seasons. Not only with the Cardassians but also with the Talarians. While Season 1 - 3 presented the Federation as having been at peace for a long time.

I especially remember Season 2's "Peak Performance" where after contact with the Borg, a strategist was needed to come aboard the Enterprise to train the crew because starfleet actually didn't know enough about warfare after such a long time of peace.

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, they may be wars in name only, especially when compared to the Dominion War, or even the Federation-Klingon conflict during the 4th season of DS9 and part of the following season.