main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, i suspect the conflicts were heated in only a few places. The Federation as a whole wasn't really affected but those that actually had to fight them, like O'Brien, had intense experiences.

2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Might be. But the later TNG Seasons actually made the Cardassians seem like a real threat for at least some parts of the Federation. Thinking especially at "Chains of Command"...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I agree that those were most likely very limited conflicts, especially compared to the Dominion War. That reminds me of something I read in TIME magazine back around '07 or so, when the wars with Iraq and Afghanistan were dragging on. "America is not at war. America's military is at war. America is at the shopping mall." Small wars have very little effect on most citizens, it's the people on the front lines who bear the brunt of the trauma. The Dominion War, OTOH, was total war, more like WW2, which changed the lives of practically the whole world.

4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Dominion War being a total war is very apt especially in the episode "In The Pale Moonlight," where the Dominion has taken Betazed, allowing them to be in striking position against Vulcans and other systems close to Earth.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the Cardassian war was never an existential crisis for the Federation. One assumes the Federation also wasn't planning to drive aggressively into Cardassian space, either. So, with Starfleet holding back, the conflict remained limited to the region of the future DMZ.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New Axanar teaser, with some sweet shots:

Chancellor_Ewok and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I thought I heard Axanar had to shut down production. Are they still in business?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they've been putting out teasers to reflect things progressing.

Basically, AFAIK, a couple years ago, they finally settled things in court that established the new fan production rules that fan films need to abide by, but Axanar is allowed to ignore some of those rules, though not all. They've had to rewrite the script to scale it down from 90 min to, I think, half an hour now, for example.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I agree, it has been 25 years.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I liked the beginning of Generations, seeing Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov being themselves and doing what they do, and then Worf's promotion ceremony was fun, and Data was amusing in a shallow way. But after that it just got worse and worse. And I'll never accept that Kirk died such a lame death. Not in my headcanon.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Let me guess: Tuesday.

Darth Caliban and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Wow that sounds pretty bold! [face_rofl]

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Disagree. Generations may have done some damage, but First Contact undid a good deal of that, IMO. Insurrection and Nemesis killed the franchise.

Keep in mind, that I thought Generations was a good movie anyway.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Some so-called “fans” - cowards, to use more accurate language - would prefer to skirt around such a contentious issue. “Perhaps” Generations came out “a few decades back.” “In my opinion,” Generations “may have been released.” Nonsense, and demonstrative of a lack of willingness to critique a piece of media. Generations came out 25 years ago, goddammit.

Also if the Reporter can’t be arsed to stick to one headline I’ll be damned if I’m going to bother with a real take.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    **** My nephew turns 25 next week. Where the hell has the time gone??!!

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    They say time is the fire in which we burn...

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Generations did little damage- at worst, it felt more like a 2 part episode with Shatner as a guest star. And that's mostly because AGT had knocked it out of the park recently. And that's not necessarily a bad thing- it's not often we get Trek films that feel more like the TV shows they're based on and actually tackle plotlines head-on.

And, a couple years later, the franchise would be at its absolute mainstream peak with First Contact, so hard to argue any damage was actually done by Generations. Especially with Insurrection's numerous sins around the corner.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If you have the Generations on DVD (or probably blu ray), not the first release or the 2nd release, Brannon Braga and Ron Moore are on the commentary track and while they're affectionate for it at times they rip their own movie to shreds although they both agree that while First Contact felt like a movie, Generations is more reflective of what the show was. Not as in a sterling example and not a horrible example but sort of the middle of the pack. And they both kind of hate Kirk's death by the time they recorded it. They were trying to be twisty or something. But they do agree that Kirk's death was thematically a part of it, just the execution was lacking. (and it was reshot to from this original really lackluster one)

But, if you ask me, you can do a movie that has a bunch thematically about Death but still have Kirk Cheat Death. Cuz he's Kirk. So yeah, don't kill Kirk.

21. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Or at least make it awesome and heroic. Don't simply drop a bridge on him...

Sarge likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And for the love of the great bird of the galaxy, give him memorable final words.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    "Beam me up to heaven, God!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "Ship... out of danger?"

"No, we crashed the hell out of it. Like... damn."

"... Oh."

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Was I the only one that actually liked "Oh my!" as Kirk's final words?

seeker_two, PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.