main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The heart wants what the heart wants:

K2771991, TrandoJedi and Sarge like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That is so dead on accurate that I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Timely video.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    speaking of timely debates, I'm going with "Data is a toaster" style ruling on the great Tuvix debate. Tuvix is a somewhat personable, affable transporter accident, nothing more. The episodes has a weird tone where it's kinda a jokey mash up episode and then it gets way dark in the last ten minutes and Janeway straight up sentences Tuvix to die. But I do also agree that the Doctor couldn't be a part of his demise cuz he couldn't do no harm.

Also saw a TNG S1 episode that I either missed or totally forgot about but I thought it didn't entirely suck, "too Short a Season" where the Admiral is aging backwards, Benjamin Button before Fincher did it! I liked the performance and the direction of it where his face was kept in shadows for each reveal when he started getting younger. Kinda hokey but better than most of TNG S1. And I'm always a fan of various shifty admiral shennigans.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That series has been doing less-recent films lately, likely partially influenced by the lack of new releases in theaters.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    One of my favorite content creators has made a video about Odo

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    watching DS9 repeat on CTVScifi and I swear they must be using the same master tapes they got over 20 years ago, because at the commercial break there's a shot of the space station and a logo that says startrek.msn.com Must have been the site in the late 90s, don't remember.

Anyway, quick google, check out this nearly 25 year breaking news!
    https://news.microsoft.com/1996/07/...d-microsoft-debut-star-trek-continuum-on-msn/

LOS ANGELES/REDMOND, Wash., July 10, 1996 — Paramount Digital Entertainment (PDE), a unit of Viacom Inc., and Microsoft Corp. today announced the availability of STAR TREK: CONTINUUM, the official interactive site dedicated to all “Star Trek” incarnations, to be hosted exclusively on MSN ™, The Microsoft® Network, Microsoft’s Internet online service. STAR TREK: CONTINUUM features comprehensive archives and activities surrounding all “Star Trek” properties and is designed to be the place where people can explore strange new worlds and engage new life forms online. STAR TREK: CONTINUUM is the most extensive online source of information about “Star Trek.” It is available to MSN members at http://startrek.MSN.com/ and is based on the open standards of the Internet. “STAR TREK: CONTINUUM is a prime example of our goal to extend our entertainment properties to the digital medium and deliver them in an engaging way,” said David Wertheimer, president of PDE.
    “Microsoft has provided us with the platform to showcase one of our most valuable franchises.” “We’re very excited to be working closely with Paramount in delivering the official ‘Star Trek’ interactive site and creating new experiences exclusively for our MSN members,” said Jeff Sanderson, director of marketing for The Microsoft Network division at Microsoft. “We hope to attract and engage the franchise’s many loyal fans by offering content under the ‘Star Trek’ brand that is interactive and compelling.”

STAR TREK: CONTINUUM is designed to take users into a new dimension online where they can find out everything they want to know about “Star Trek.” STAR TREK: CONTINUUM includes episodic, character and behind-the-scenes information on the seven Paramount motion pictures and the four Paramount TV series: “Star Trek,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager.” Other services include interactive multimedia content that immerses subscribers in the “Star Trek” experience; the Klingon Compendium, a comprehensive source of information on the Klingon Empire; forums for “Star Trek” fans to gather and interact; detailed historical information on “Star Trek”
    episodes, characters, actors, aliens, technology and other exciting material; and advance information on television shows and motion pictures. In addition, fans can participate in 3-D chats in which they can choose to become a “Star Trek” avatar in Quark’s Bar, an environment created from “Deep Space Nine.” Here they may also chat with other costumed “Trek” visitors. Also incorporated in the engaging environment of STAR TREK: CONTINUUM are full-screen graphical menus, audio clips, video clips, animation and multiple chat rooms. The site was designed and developed by PDE with the assistance of The Digital Foundry Inc. of Tiburon, Calif.

“Star Trek” is one of the entertainment industry’s most enduring and broad-based properties. The original 79 “Star Trek” episodes aired on television between 1966 and 1969, making this September the 30-year anniversary of “Star Trek.” Since then, other “Star Trek” series have appeared on television, including “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager.” In addition, seven hit “Star Trek” motion pictures have been released, all of which went on to become enormously successful in the home video market. The eighth “Star Trek” motion picture is in development. A powerhouse in the publishing, toy, collectible gift and consumer electronic areas, “Star Trek” merchandise has totaled nearly
    $2 billion in retail sales since its television debut. Currently, there are more than 250 official licensees worldwide.

In June, PDE and Microsoft launched ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT ONLINE (http://et.MSN.com/) , the official Web site companion to America’s most popular entertainment news series. The dynamic online show incorporates the energy and excitement of the daily broadcasts with the unique interactive opportunities of the Internet.

Formed in May 1995, Paramount Digital Entertainment draws upon Paramount’s rich history in motion pictures and television programming by channeling Paramount’s creative resources into the promotion of Paramount properties, the creation of original online products, and the development of a new breed of promotional vehicles for its advertising partners. With direct access to the Paramount Television Group, PDE is able to carry the studio’s 83-year tradition of entertainment excellence into cyberspace. PDE is headquartered in Hollywood.

MSN offers a variety of services that include access to hundreds of special-interest bulletin boards; offerings from more than 200 content providers; multimedia reference information; full Internet access including e-mail accounts, thousands of newsgroups and the World Wide Web (Web access where available); and up-to-date news and information from the service’s news package, MSN News.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Hypothetical situation: if the Dominion encountered the Borg, who would win?

On the one hand, the Borg would adapt to the Jem'Hadar weaponry. On the other hand, they wouldn't be able to assimilate the Founders, and the Founders could pose as Borg drones and infiltrate cubes.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Borg could assimilate the founders. May take them a minute, though. Depends how much damage the Founders could do by then. They could wreck through the Dominion, unless the Vorta came up with some trick that Starfleet often does. Or just sheer Dominion numbers actually taking out a Borg cube or two. Then if the Borg send more, it's only a matter of time.

And yes, I am still wondering why in Discovery in the 32nd Century it's not just pure Borg everywhere. I would say Janeway taking out the transwarp network really did a number on them but then there's a Borg cube in Picard about 20 years later so no idea.

PCCViking likes this.
  11. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Damn, that’d be a nasty war. I’m putting my money on the Founders. They probably already have a plan for dealing with the Collective.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The DS9 doc What We Left Behind is on youtube for free w/ads:

Sacrifice of angels HD battle scene starts at 1:03:17. You're welcome ;).

seeker_two, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not available in my country, dangit, never going to see it :(

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Mhm, seems to be US only. The potential revenue cut from other countries' yogurt ads is just too low.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You can buy the DVD.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    "Age restricted." WTF?!

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't rewatched it since they showed it in theaters, but maybe it is age-restricted because there are some language concerns? Or simply because it's unrated? In conjunction with it being an "official", ad-supported release, etc.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I fell off my Star Trek watch-a-thon due to my kitten (who I named Spock because I was watching an episode when I agreed to adopt him and it seemed fitting) needing to be hospitalized on the exact same day I developed some pretty alarming health problems, and never went back to it after everything leveled out because life got real busy real quick.

I resumed yesterday, but decided to take a detour from The Next Generation to binge all of The Animated Series, which I just finished a few minutes ago. I know TAS occupies a somewhat tenuous place in canon, even though by all accounts it looks like CBS has considered it to be the real McCoy for a while now, but if this isn't a completionist Star Trek watch-a-thon then what's the point? Also, any series that involves the Enterprise's computer intelligence pranking the Romulans with an inflatable Enterprise decoy deserves to be canon, I don't care what anybody says. And Star Trek would be a lesser franchise without a whole children's cartoon episode dedicated to everybody's goofy best pal, Satan.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  21. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I rented it when it came out digitally with my roomate - it was a pretty good watch.

It was really interesting, pretty funny and a little creepy to learn that

Marc Alaimo basically has the personality of Dukat, and is really upset that he never got to hook up with Nana Vistor[face_laugh][face_plain].

Ha, I forgot that was a thing...

Who lives in a universe were magic is real and everybody, including Spock, just accepts that as fact immedatly[face_laugh]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    A decade long mystery from Star Trek Enterprise might have finally been solved in "Terra Firma, Part 1"

"Terra Firma, Part 1" implies with the appearance of Time Soldier Yor from the Kelvinverse the possibility that Crewman Daniels in "Cold Front" was also from there.

It would finally explain his mysterious comments about Illinois and Earth:

"TUCKER: And you didn't grow up in Illinois.
    DANIELS: Oh, I'm from a place called Illinois, sir. Just not the one you're familiar with.
    TUCKER: It's good to know Earth will still be around in nine hundred years.
    DANIELS: That depends on how you define Earth."

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Take my latinum.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Theory about Carl:

Possibly being the Guardian of Forever doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility that Carl is a Q.
    Remember this scene from "Death Wish":

"JANEWAY: This was your existence before your confinement?
    QUINN: I traveled the road many times, sat on the porch, played the games, been the dog, everything. I was even the scarecrow for a while.
    JANEWAY: Why?
    QUINN: Because I hadn't done it.
    Q: Oh, we've all done the scarecrow. Big deal. "

Maybe one of the mentioned things was a symbol for taking the role of the Guardian...

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004