main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Please, I like Trek a lot, and I'm glad I discovered an appreciation for what it is, both the good and the bad, the profound and the profoundly stupid, as opposed to being frustrated with what it isn't... but Star Wars is, always has been, and always will be my absolute favorite thing :p I know where my loyalties lie.

Juliet316, K2771991 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, by comparison to the virtual leprechauns shown in TOS, sure, it's mild as far as stereotypes go, but...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Juliet316 and K2771991 like this.
  3. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]

Leprechauns are'nt stereoty...

I mean. Yes, yes. Leprechauns are horrible stereotypes. They also TOTALLY are'nt a real thing that we TOTALLY don't use to steal money and stockpile it in a cave in Fermanagh so we can use it to buy Guinness...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    He is a good friend and the reason I watched all of TOS, Movies 1-6, TNG, Movies 7-10, DS9, What We Left Behind, ENT, VOY in that order last year over the span of 4-5 months. It was my first time watching TNG, ENT, TOS in order and never seen any of VOY before. DS9/TNG is pinnacle Trek to me but I'm definitely addicted and have bought almost 100 novels and comics over the past year. I've always loved Star Trek, but now I LOVE Star Trek. Not big on Discovery/Picard though, sorry...

K2771991, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    It was a retorical question, lol (I was just ribbing you in good fun for misspelling "friend").

Almost 100 novels and comics in a year, though; jesus that's impressive - I'd bankrupt my entire household if I tried to do that!

7. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    What would any of you fine Treksperts think if a person were to confide in you the fact that they enjoy DS9 S1-3 more than DS9 S4-7? Asking for a frand...

Jedi Ben and Sarge like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  9. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Real friends are frands. To be fair this was largely from a local used book store so I haven't paid cover price on any of them...haven't gotten to reading any of them either. Last year was weird and I have alotta things. Starfleet would look at me in shame with all my material objects.

K2771991 likes this.
  10. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    You learn something new everyday; I just googled it and apparently this is, indeed, an acronym (I guess this explains why my friend Claire sometimes says "hey frands", lol)

I honestly thought you just mispelled the word.

Well, somebody had too:p

TrandoJedi, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    DS9 1-3 had a more wide-open frontier feel, IMO. The wormhole had opened up whole new mysterious regions and we had no idea what was out there, the possibilities were endless. It was a quieter time and built up wonderful characters and their relationships as well as mysteries. 4-9 solved the mysteries in exciting action adventures. Both eras have their own strengths and weaknesses; I suppose it's a matter of preference. I like both for different reasons.

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I still maintain that Season Four of DS9 is the best season of Trek there's ever been. Barely any episode I'd rate lower than a 7 (I remember The Muse being a bit of clunker, but that's about it).

BigAl6ft6, K2771991 and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They do have different feels to each other. However, i would argue that what DS9 S1-3 was doing with the wormhole was not really any different than what TOS & TNG did in that regard. There could have been no wormhole and just been on the edge of Federation/explored territory and be no different than what the Enterprise was encountering on a weekly basis (just more stuff coming from the frontier to them, versus missions out into the wilderness, so to speak- though DS9 1-3 did those often too).

And while providing the Dominion as an answer to the mystery is, well, answering a mystery- it is one that probably could not have been done without the wormhole. If only because having an anti-Federation of the scale, power, influence and reign that has been until now unknown to anyone is only really possible with the wormhole or other type of transit point to allow two distant regions to come into conflict with one another (otherwise you'd have a Borg-like situation where you're only getting scouts sent from a distant powerbase as opposed to entire fleets).

So I feel the latter half took advantage of the wormhole in a way that was uniquely suited for it, as opposed to just using it as window dressing (well, and as a place for the Prophets to chill at).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  14. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    The could have used the Romulans, or if they wanted a bigger threat a sort of Typhon Pact situation were a bunch of anti-Federation groups team up to challange the Federation/Klingons.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Dominion does sort of make the Gamma Quadrant seem less of an unknown like it does at first (The Gamma Qudarant? Oh that's where the Dominion is!) although they were seeding it in S3 up until the finale. The show does definitely flip basically when Worf shows up. Although there's still some fun standalone episodes in the Worf years, Dr. Bashir I Presume and Take me Out to the Holosuite.

Jedi Merkurian , K2771991 and Sarge like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think an anti-Federtaion coalition would have the same scale and influence needed for the Dominion. They'd feel like a rising threat rather than a long-established one. Romulans could work, I suppose- though they're know for subterfuge and ship combat, they don't necessarily have the warrior angle needed (though that is obviously a detail that could change, it still feels like a shift in what they are). And if you were to involve the Changelings, it wouldn't really work without a major retcon of an Alpha/Beta superpower (at least without introducing an overt "well, once they stop working with them things will be resolved" element).

K2771991 likes this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I was a little disappointed that the Gamma Quadrant really didn't get the development it deserved, though - once the war began, that was pretty much it for exploration.

18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    My point was more that it would have been possible to make the idea of a major threat and a large-scale war work without the wormhole (even if it did'nt work nearly as well).

While I can't recall it ever being explicitly stated, the simple fact that their space romans with a militant society has always led me to believe that the Romulans definantly are'nt slouches when it comes to fighting (and might actually be more deadly then the Dominion in that area becuase, if the Romans are anything to go buy, their martial ability will be backed up by tactics and strategy).

I thought it was were Planet Hulk was...

Gamma? Hulk? He? He? Get it? No...oh, okay, I'll see myself out then...:(

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There's a bit more Bajorian religion politics in S1-3 than in the later years it definitely goes by the wayslide.

Sarge, K2771991 and RokurGepta like this.
  20. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    DS9 is such a great show. The buildup to the Dominion still is incredible and it's one of the few shows I have trouble picking a favorite character it's all so good! I think the characters is largely what elevates DS9 for me but even from the beginning I was so intrigued by it. Yes even allamaraine.

21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    And thank god...

Oh thank god.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Bonus for the two-fer of Dwight Schultz!

Juliet316, BigAl6ft6 and K2771991 like this.
  24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    My first thought was to ask why the heck they made Barcley a part of the joke...

...and then I remember Schultz played Murdock[face_laugh]

"Remember, some of us won't be coming back. But those of us who do, will be back. And those of us that don't come back won't be coming back. Now, I point this out becuase if you don't come back you won't be back, and if you do come back, you will be back..."

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

anyway, great TNG run in S5 on now out the gate, Redemption part II, Darmok, Ensign Ro, Silicon Avatar, Disaster, The Game, Unification Part 1 & 2. I guess Picard's fancy new Captain's jacket did something. I wonder if Picard ever recorded in his logs that the kids in the elevator in Disaster committed mutiny. Also Executive Officer in Charge of Radishes is a pretty great official title.