main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001

[​IMG]
    You've got it all wrong. It has never been about hamburgers. It's about power.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I want to draw a domino mask on his face now. Rabble-rabble.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    Juliet316, K2771991 and Jedimarine like this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just finished getting caught up on Prodigy. Wow! That last scene! Glad I avoided spoilers on that.

Not only are we starting to get hints of Endgame Janeway (though not exactly obviously), but the Dauntless!! I guess Starfleet learned from the fake one (and no NX registry, it’s NCC), which would canonically track with its appearance on ENT during the one future scene aboard the Enterprise-J.

EDIT- Which reminds me- how many folks here are watching Prodigy? Would it be worth giving it it's own thread once the show returns, given that the show is starting to get into more potential "wider Trek canon" spoilers?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We're loving Prodigy, but I think there's only like 5 of us total watching it including you.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I watched Prodigy, too.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I watched Prodigy, but I didn't love it. The only episode I even liked a little was the Kobayashi Maru, because it was fun to try to figure out which episodes all the classic voice clips came from.

9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I watched Prodigy. It was fun. I def enjoyed it more than Picard's first season or Disco's third and fourth.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm surprised they haven't announced Lower Decks or Prodigy return date, I'm assuming it would be the week after Strange New Worlds. Next live action show in the hopper is they've finished shooting Picard S3 a month ago. Would think that Lower Decks and Prodigy will carry out the rest of 2022 but maybe if we're lucky we'll get like Nov/Dec Picard S3.

Prodigy's S1 airing was a little spotty, like 4 eps and then months later 5 more, hopefully they run the next 10 eps in order.

So I signed up for Paramount Plus in Canada and while none of the CBS All Access / P+ Trek shows are on there I was surprised all the previous Trek shows TOS to ENT are on there so that's 3 streaming services Netflix, Crave, P+ that have the original Trek run. And all the Trek movies are on P+ as well (The Motion Picture 4k version!) so I'll hang onto P+ to rewatch the flicks at least, last time I did that (aside from watching on TV) was over a year ago so overdue hahaha

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also as a heads-up: DS9 leaves Netflix in the US on July 1st. Haven’t checked the other shows yet.

Which is unfortuna the- for as convenient as it is to have all the Trek shows and films on one service with P*, their app on PS4 still sucks. Has that weird double tap play/pause interface and I’ve gotten several audio de-syncing and time skips with DS9 episodes on P+. Can only hope it doesn’t affect that many episodes and/or is an issue they’ll resolve eventually.

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    For those of us who still collect physical media:

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's great that the three director's cuts will soon be finally on not just HD formats but 4K.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Wait, there are three director’s cuts of Star Trek VI? I remember the additional scene with Rene Auberjonois from the initial VHS release, but that’s it.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was speaking of the franchise as a whole: TMP, TWOK & TUC.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Didn't the director's cut of TWOK explain that one crewman was a relative of Scotty's?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization certainly did - and I think at least some of those novel scenes were deleted ones that may have made it into a Director's Cut.

PCCViking and K2771991 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, pretty sure that's in there because that is really familiar and I've only really watched the director's cut over the past couple decades (outside of a Fathom screening, I think, which might have been the other cut but I don't recall one way or the other) so it'd be difficuly for me to tell what was added in.

K2771991 likes this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The regular cut didn't explain why Scotty was so emotional over that crewman's death. The director's cut, if them being relatives was included, would explain that.

The UC director's cut had: Odo as Colonel West detailing a plan to rescue Kirk and McCoy and then had him being unmasked as the "Klingon" assassin at the end. The original cut didn't include that. I think the UC director's cut also showed Valeris sliding down a pole to talk to Spock and Scotty.

Interestingly, the 5th season premiere of DS9 had Rene Auberjonis and Michael Dorn involved in a story that featured a plan to assassinate a Klingon chancellor

20. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Alright, a headcanon re-adjustment I've been mulling over since the Picard S2 finale and I could'nt figure out whether to put it in this thread or the Doctor Who one. Here it goes...

For a long while I headcanoned the Guardian of Forever's planet was Gallifrey, the Guardian itself was the Untempered Scism and the Time Lord's were the ones overseeing Gary Seven and his ilk (via the Celestial Intervention Agency). Disco and Picard sorta threw wrenchs into that by revealing the guardian was a entity who could take Humanoid form and that The Traveler's species were the ones in control of the Supervisors and it took me a while to sort out what is IMO a rather elegent explanation.
    • The Guardian's planet is still Gallifrey (the Enterprise found it deserted becuase the time storms that surrounded it transported them into the far future - and between realities - after the point when the Master had killed all the Time Lords and left the planet desolate). The planet's desigation is Tau Alpha C.
    • The city that the Guardian is located in is Arcadia.
    • The planet Gary Seven's ancestors were taken on is in the same system as Gallifrey and Karn, but is not either of them.
    • The ST Temperal War and the DW Last Great Time War are the same conflict (preceeded by the Temporal Cold War); the Federation and Time Lords were allies, bound by the Temporal Accords, and it was becuase they forsaw the Humans of the Prime Universe becoming importent allies that the Time Lords took such an interest in Earth Prime's devolopment.
    • The Guardian is made out of validium, and is thus a sentient object who can change his shape (explaining how he can look like Carl, look like the his ST doorway self and look like he looks in Who). He left Gallifrey during the Time War to prevent being abused, but returned at some point in the future after the planet was left devestated (at which point he was discovered by Kirk and co)
    • The Traveler is a Time Lord, regenerated into the form of one of the inhabitents of the Tau Ceti system (explaining why Beverly confuses Tau Alpha with Tau Ceti in Journey's End). His apparent shapeshifting abilities were actually technological trickery.
    • In a more general sense - the one used by Wes in Picard - "traveler" is a term used by Gallifreyians to refer to those of their kind who reject their isolationism and chose to travel nomadically through space and time.
    • Boothby may or may not be a future version of the Doctor at some point during during the years of the "retirment" hinted at in the 50th Anniversery episode.
    I can totally buy Spock being friends with the Doctor too, lol.

I love that people keep making these.

Also Kes came out looking like Michelle Williams, lol.

I'm basically spoiled on everything about it to the point where I might as well have watched it (which I fully intend to do once I get Paramount Plus again)

And I finally watched Eternals! So now your name and avatar makes sense to me:p

I don't know what version, but yes; Peter Preston (the ill-fated guy that Scotty introduces to Kirk and later carries up to the bridge after Kahn's attack) is his nephew.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian , Thena and PCCViking like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Paramount needs to ring up the TAS remake person. Maybe not the entire ST canon but like a selects season where taking a few episodes (and maybe some of the movies) across the series and do them in TAS style. It'll certainly add more content to Paramount Plus! Which I just got for Canada via Amazon Prime channels. none of the shows Discovery-onward are on there but all the previous Trek shows are (they're on Crave, Netflix and Paramount Plus now) and all the Trek movies are there (and can't be streamed anywhere else) including 4k The Motion Picture, ensuring I'll hang onto Paramount Plus for at least the summer.

Jedi Merkurian and K2771991 like this.
  22. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    (Something I forgot to mention in my headcanon thing from the other day)

So, between something things in SW and ST I was kinda forced to work Indiana Jones into the big Doctor Who/SW/ST headcanon multiverse I have (something I have mixed feelings about becuase I don't think it gells perfectly thanks to Indy 4, but whatever).
    • Harold Oxley is the Doctor (the Time War version) on assigment as a supervisior, with his task being to watch over the Jones family.
    • Their were actually two Roswell incidents (this is the thing that I don't think gells perfectly) - the first was on July 2nd and the second - the one from Indy 4/Doctor Who - on July 9th. Out of the two-man crew of the second ship one member was captured and the other killed.
    I want an episode of Lower Decks were they time-travel to the mid-2200s and they art style inexplicibly changes to the date TAS style (which is of course a thing that nobody adresses or even points out)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That sounds suspiciously like we're not getting the return of Prodigy or Lower Decks right after SNW ends... :p

BigAl6ft6 and K2771991 like this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Never give up, never surrender. To infinity, and beyond!

K2771991 and Juliet316 like this.