main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that was my thought as soon as we so the Discoprise. It fits into the lineage much better than the TOS design and aesthetic. And, even if you ignore that as "an ENT problem", the Discoprise still looks like something that could be turned into the Refit more plausibly than the OG TOS one.

K2771991 likes this.
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Was I the only one bothered by the fact that Kira was'nt a Starfleet officer?

I know, right?

I don't want to throw shade at Majel but Rebecca and Jess[face_love][face_love]

Mine is that the ship just gets refit at some point before Kirk takes command, and the smaller interiors are due to the crew size being increased (203 under Pike, over double that under Kirk).

(the turtleneck uniforms and the TOS-style appearence in The Menagerie I'm pretty confident are things that we can safely say got retconned out of existence by now)

TX-20 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    She was never really a SF officer. She just put on the uniform so she wouldn't get fragged on Cardassia. After that assignment, she was back in her Bajoran uniform.

TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Starfleet has lots of uniform variants, Kirk was wearing a freaking t-shirt on the bridge half the ride to V'Ger

Jedi Merkurian and K2771991 like this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Yes, but would'nt Bajor be part of the Federation by now?

Did they just not go through with the plans to fold the militia into Starfleet?

Yuck

Well, there goes that theory...☹️ (wonder how it's appearence in Where No Man Has Gone Before is supposed to fit in, or what it's relationship is with the S1/S2 Disco uniform that was in service as far back as 2239)

Okay, new headcanon; the turtleneck is'nt a uniform unto itself, but is rather something akin to an old-school navy rollneck.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't believe Federation worlds are required to give up their own defense forces even if they have some people in Starfleet. Bajorans being Bajorans, they've probably opted to keep their own militia rather than put all their trust in the Federation for protection.

8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I don't think they are either, since the Vulcans and Andorians at least kept their own armed forces.

I was referring to how in Rapture there's a reference to the intergration/dissolution of the Bajoran Militia upon the planet's incorporation into the Federation, so it seems like at least *initally* that was the plan in regards to this specific case.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's probably where they took inspiration from for it, honestly.

You can probably also chalk it up to the Connie uniform angle. Disco and other workhorse ships had the ENT-like DIS uniforms, while the flagship-type craft like the Enterprise had their own "newer" uniforms, leading to the Cage-like and TOS-like uniforms on the Connie and others.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    K2771991 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The original conception of DS9 had Ensign Ro in the position of Kira, however, Michelle Forbes didn’t want to do a series, so Kira was created as an original character.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A good thing, IMO. Nothing against Ro, but Kira was a much better character.

TX-20, K2771991, Jedimarine and 3 others like this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Kira’s seen some ****.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, and done even more.

14. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    To be fair, we got a lot more time with Kira then we ever got with Ro.

I have little doubts Ro would've evolved in unique ways if she was on DS9.

Having more background for her and her "issues" with Starfleet would be fertile story ground that we really didn't have in DS9.

How she handle's the Maquis would be VERY interesting (we would have to assume her mission in TNG season 7 doesn't happen because she would be on DS9 by then).

On the flip...I can barely stand watching Kira's awkward romances in the show...Ro would be even worse.

Just once, I would've liked to see Forbes cameo on DS9 as Ro goes head to head with Kira...maybe a Maquis v Bajor thing. That could've been sweet.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    It occurs to me that a DS9/TNG Dominion War crossover arc was very much a missed opportunity.

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I was hoping the conclusion of the Dominion War would be a TNG/DS9 feature film in the late 90s.

I knew, even back then, there was no way DS9 would be tapped to carry a feature film. However, I did think they may use the Dominion War as a way to bring DS9 into the film franchise, without having to "pass the torch" from one crew to another.

As such, only certain elements of DS9 would've made it to the film:

The station gets a beauty shot when the E comes to visit.

Maybe a cameo by Quark and the promenade.

A briefing between Sisko/Odo and Picard on the state of the war.

Then a small DS9 crew on the Defiant join the E on a mission through the wormhole. Worf/O'Brien/Sisko?/Bashir?/Odo

But sadly, the timing did not line up. Insurrection was too early to allow DS9 to wrap it up, and after insurrection, Nemesis was way too far out to allow for it to be a proper "conclusion" for the Dominion War.

In the end, it was probably better this way. Having TNG involved in the Dominion War would've been great for world building across the property, but it would've come at the cost of DS9 itself. As it ended up, the DS9 characters are the heroes of the war, and it adds to their reputations with the fanbase.

If you had a ton of build up, only to hand it off to a "proper" crew, you cut the knees out from under the DS9 characters, actors, production, and fans.

I would not want a Dominion War movie if it ended up being Nemesis.

Things turned out for the best in that regard.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Any timeline that results in us getting Insurrection as opposed to literally anything else did NOT turn out for the best! :p

K2771991, Jedimarine and PCCViking like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Re: Ro and DS9

For the DS9 relaunch books way back when Ro succeeded Kira in running the station.

19. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I’m still irrationally angry about them ending that universe.

20. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Mostly agree except Insurrection and Nemesis. Both those films, to me, are quite bad and the former suffers from not wanting to taking any risks or having any conflict between the main characters and the others suffers from them wanting to do WoK again.

Imagine if Insurrection had a split in the crew. Riker has seen too much death and if what they can get from this world helps end the war faster, he is ok with that. Crusher can think of the medical aspects, Geordi can think of how this could help people like him. Data can be opposed for ethical reasons, Picard and Troy forms a bond with the people. So they wind up on different sides. Real conflict.

Another problem I have with Insurrection is that they never ask the people on the planet to move. And I get why, because if they do and they say yes, then there is no movie. But if they say no, then they are the bad guys. So the question is never asked. Plus I found the people on the planet very smug.

I have thought about two TNG films, that featured the Dominion War and had a little of DS 9.
    The first film have the Ent doing a diplomatic mission to some powers that are neutral and try to convince them to join in again the Dominion and to assist some worlds that have suffered in the war.
    So their part is more diplomacy and less fighting.
    The second one dealt with the aftermath of the war and a now more militarized Star Fleet.
    And that the Feds and the Romulans are now the two major powers in this part of the galaxy.
    Neat but would be unlikely.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, it's not like they blew up the station (again) and killed everyone...

>.>

22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Thinking of it purely from the DS9 perspective. ;)

The rest of the franchise was a trashcan fire by that point.

I saw the ship start listing with First Contact and it just kept tipping.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Insurrection works with the Dominion War arc inasmuch that it's about Starfleet tipping over in it's moral obligations due to being spooked by the Dominion and Borg threats, which actually continues into them being basically full on isolationist by Picard S1.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    TX-20 likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dax be like:

[​IMG]