main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Defiant had a ready room? I don't remember that.

K2771991 likes this.
  2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Had to look it up myself.

Converted broom closet.;)

TX-20, Sarge and K2771991 like this.
  3. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    @Sarge @Jedimarine

It only shows up once from memory (in The Sound of Her Voice); twice, if you count it being re-used for the Valiant.

Jedimarine likes this.
  4. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Almost as useful as the holo-communicator. [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and K2771991 like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm probably going to start season 2 of TNG at some point. I watched season 1 back in '05 and...have no desire to revisit it ever.

Sarge and K2771991 like this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Why does Sisko get all these things if he's not going use them!?[face_laugh]

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You should really enjoy season 3 when you get to it by 2041 then.

Darth_Omega, BigAl6ft6, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    By 2041, I'll be president, and I'll remember this remark.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I strongly do not recommend watching all of seasons 1 and 2 of TNG (also a few later episodes). I skipped about half the episodes on my last rewatch. There's no need for punishment.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Good for you.

Season 3 is when the show goes from kind-of-decent-I-guess to a television masterpiece.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    As someone who used to hate on TNG S1 and 2, they're actually fairly decent for the most part IMO.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Season 2 has a couple of necessary episodes:
    1. Q Who: Introduces the Borg
    2. The Emissary: Introduces K'Ehleyr, who will return in Reunion.

Juliet316 and K2771991 like this.
  13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    GROW THE BEARD! GROW THE BEARD!

Sarge, K2771991 and PCCViking like this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You just follow one of the dozens of essential hits lists online for seasons one and two and sprinkle in the odd episode that sounds like it’s up your alley. Or just skip to season three. It’s made up and we’re all going to die, it doesn’t matter if you miss the awesome one where Data’s personhood is on trial because you definitely didn’t want to watch the one where Riker is in a space coma and we all have to remember clips from other episodes.

But missing out on TNG based on the quality of season one? That’s an unfortunate thing to let happen.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's still something to be learned from Season Ones. I avoided getting the DVD for Simpsons season one like it was the plague, until I got it as an Xmas present. I watched it with the commentary, and got a new appreciation for it.
    Yeah, TNG season one was a mess, but that was in part because it had a bunch of recycled scripts from the unproduced Star Trek II series from the 70s, and had Picard awkwardly jammed into the Kirk role in them.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You should have been more specific![face_devil]

Alpha-Red, Jedimarine and PCCViking like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Season two had the worst of the Phase II scripts, thanks to not being able to write anything new during the strike. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember the first season of The Simpsons being far superior to TNG season one despite the rough edges.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The animation is pretty terrible, but I didn't realize that they only had that studio in the first season - there's a bunch of character designs which they admit "would never have been made" later. They actors hadn't found their voices, so to speak - I know some fans want Homer redubbed because as Dan Castenella said, he was going more for a "Walter Mattau" voice there. Some of the characterizations are off, and the scripts are rather weak.

But to get back on topic, Season One has a strong opening, but dips immediately with what isn't a Star Trek II script but a TOS script (the callback where they reference the original encounter just drives that point home). I think a lot of people also forget that Lore appeared during the season for the first time, or that the whole "Starfleet conspiracy" storyline was contained within. Or that Tasha Yar didn't even make it one season. There's a lot going on there, and a lot of 'bangers' - even the season finale, while very quiet, not only hinted at the Borg but brought the Romulans back. The personality of a lot of the characters got established rather quickly, too; Picard is very much Picard.
    Most of the goofiest stuff was also TOS-inspired - the old 'it's a sci-fi show but it's now the Old West/Nazi Germany/20s Chicago', adding the holodeck to the roster of ways to make that happen.
    Maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I recall the syndicated TNG being a breath of fresh air. My dad was a big TOS fan (although not a Trekkie), and we had good times watching the show together when it originally ran.

And "Skin of Evil" was 100% redeemed by Lower Decks.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny enough, Simpsons Season 1 is the only one I have the DVD set for. I had intended to just follow the releases in order as they came out, but never got around it (plus, while cool, the iniital character-shaped packaging would have been awkward to fit on the shelf). And, eventually, there were easier ways to watch Simpsons (and I didn't have the spare cash to catch up on a dozen+ season boxsets to that point).

As for TNG S1-2, I think the next time I go through them (as background, in most cases) I'll try to keep a particular eye open for the Phase II script ones, because that'd be an interesting lens to view them through as a focus. Even beyond that, there's a handful from each season worth hitting as touchstones.

And it's easy to forget that the Conspiracy arc ran for at least 3 episodes within Season 1 even though we mostly only remember the titular episode. And, unlike the Season 2 finale, one of those episodes is actually a very useful clipshow because it both furthers the Conspiracy arc and gives some highlights from many episodes that you'd otherwise want to skip- making it easier to skip them!

Either way, it actually ends up being the first attempt at serialized storytelling in the franchise (outside of the movies).

blackmyron likes this.
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, it's a shame that they stumbled with it - there's a few dead ends in TNG overall, but that one in particular stings that they never followed up on it (I know there's always the "Well, it sort of was a lead-in to the Borg" except it's clear that it isn't except as a spiritual antecedant ).

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, though, to be fair, if they had followed up on it with the Conspiracy aliens instead of the Borg, TNG very likely would not have survived and this franchise would probably be dead as far as TV shows go (or would have have been hard-rebooted by now), with no DS9, no VOY, no ENT and at least 4 fewer movies (one might argue we wouldn't have even gotten TUC without TNG sustaining things after TFF's failure).

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, I agree, I just wish they followed up on it, somewhere, at some point. I would have rather seen a VOY episode about that, for instance, than the followup of the TNG episode with the wormhole that we got.

Sarge likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, to be fair, the wormhole follow-up wasn't as good as it could have been (especially given how much Ferengi-centric episodes had been elevated on DS9 by that point). But, I remember watching that TNG episode as a kid, so I'm somewhat bias in being glad that they followed up on it (though I didn't see said follow-up until I was an adult and doing my rewatch project). Much rather that they follow-up that TNG episode in VOY than shoving in all of the Alpha Quadrant-related stuff in the first 2 or 3 seasons of the show.

But they should have followed up Conspiracy by now, you're right. But, there is a bright side to that. Assuming PIC S3 doesn't end up involving them, they could set a story sometime after PIC that brings them into the story and chalk up the decades-long delay to the time it takes to travel from the Delta Quadrant to the Alpha Quadrant (or, to at least try to tie things into the Borg, say that the Q Who encounter accelerated Borg activity towards the Alpha Quadrant, derailing or backburnering the Conspiracy Aliens' plans until after VOY crippled the Borg transwarp conduit system and allowed them to resume).

blackmyron and PCCViking like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    BigAl6ft6, The2ndQuest and Sarge like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, season 1 of The Simpsons is rough, except for the Sideshow Bob introduction. Season 2 isn't much better, save for one or two episodes. Season 3 really kicks it off though. I should start season 4 at some point.

Wait, which thread am I in?!