main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Alpha-Red, TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I like that they have never gone back to Conspiracy.

As long as it is out there, it can't be ruined.

It is a hovering menace that has yet to be overcome. It keeps some mystery in the "beyond".

And at this stage, I would want to see it far larger in scope then they would otherwise want to present.

The basic premise is Invasion of the Body Snatchers stereotypes. But I would like to see it go beyond that.

I would want to see like Stargate Goa'uld levels of evil here. Maybe have a couple of the "baddies" or even some of the allies of the federation already under the control of the species...and not in a covert way. Let them be powerful enough to reveal themselves.

But, that would be a complex and dark path to follow. A commitment to material in a duration I don't see happening.

So better to remain an unsolved mystery.

K2771991 likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The DS9 relaunch books did something fun with the Conspiracy slugs.

K2771991, blackmyron and dp4m like this.
  4. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Wait, so you don't want the parasites to be ruined, but your using the Goa'uld as an example for how they should be dipicted?:eek:

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    We can't go with the Go'uld, as Cliff Simon is dead.

Jedimarine and The2ndQuest like this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Whaat?

I just had to look that up; I had legit had no idea! How did I miss that!?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Eh, lots going on in the world. Sad news even now. He did excellent villains.

The2ndQuest , Jedimarine and K2771991 like this.
  8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Wife and I have been on a big Trek binge lately. We watched through all of Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds. Now we're going through some TOS. It's been pretty fun. We've both always liked Trek, but it hasn't really been something we've watched in the eleven years we've been together.

Jedimarine, Sarge, K2771991 and 4 others like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Can't embed it for some reason, but some pics of my Khan Pop that arrived.

As I mention in the post, it was snowing outside yesterday when this arrived. So, I guess revenge really is best delivered in the cold.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I just realized that Cliff Simon woiuld have made a pitch perfect Q. He was so much fun as Ba’al.

13. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Ah, so O'Brien served under Jellico at some point[face_laugh]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In magazine interview Kurtzman teases future plans.

He talks about looking into taking a Disney+ Star Wars/Marvel approach to future character spin-offs, with them being formulated as mini-series and 2-3 hour event movies (and for not just the characters appearing in Picard). We'll likely get some word on what some of these projects might be on First Contact Day in 2 weeks.

He does specify that they are still "very excited" about the Section 31 series, though by association there is an implication to speculate that it has been converted into a mini-series to better accommodate Michelle Yoeh's schedule.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Caught "Mirror, Mirror" on TV last night. It's actually the first and only TOS episode I've seen all the way through. Funny that after seeing all this mirror universe stuff in DS9, Discovery and Star Trek Online, I finally manage to see where it all originated.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Parallel/evil versions of mainstream universe characters always have a defining feature it seems: Mirror verse! Spock with a goatee; the Inferno version of the Brigadier in Doctor Who, with an eye patch.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mirror Sulu and Mirror Chekov are extra evil than even the rest of the crew I feel

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, at first I was thinking why didn't Marlena zap Mirror Sulu, then it occurred to me that even in the mirror universe the main cast has to live, while the redshirts get disintegrated. Although much later in DS9, Mirror Odo gets killed right off the bat.

Also, I liked how Kirk was able to quickly figure out he was in a parallel universe and immediately adapts to blend in.

20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Personally, I never cared for the mirror universe stuff.

Yes, I know it is just suppose to be fun. A time to let the cast play against type and let their overacting show forth.

But I always found them hammy and not well written.

The DS9 ones were the worst offenders because the show involved so much character growth and progression throughout the series (to the point of being deliberately serialized by the end) that the mirror universe episodes were disjointed and jarring and felt like a waste of time (Feel the same way about most Ferengi non-sense too).

I suppose if you count "Yesterday's Enterprise" as a mirror universe, that is a great one. Otherwise, I take a hard pass on them.

Appreciate why they did them, but not my cup of tea.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Always loved the mirror stuff because, not only are they fun in execution, the whole “evil/reverse universe” angle tend to be the more appealing alternate universe-type stories, in a What If? kinda way. But making them a running background concept allows them to be developed and explored beyond the constraints of a one-shot, which kinda elevates them.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Heh. David Warner comes close in terms of memorability. Mark Lenard managed 3 alien species but his Klingon role was much less prominent.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  23. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    All of David Warner's Trek characters are gold in a unique way

25. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    With four lights being shone on one of them.