main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO NES & SNES Classic Editions

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by TiniTinyTony , Jul 14, 2016.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am saving up for this, I will either get an extension for the wire or I here you can get a knock off controller with longer wire? does anyone know where I can buy it and who has it cheapest? does Amazon have it, or Game Stop?
    on Amazon it is going for$170.00 does anyone know where I can buy it cheaper? I would pay that much for it I think It Is worth It for me but It Is a bit steep.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As stock numbers eventually even out, the price should go down. They were in high demand with low stock over the holidays but I believe Nintendo is increasing production to meet the demand, last i read.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I've been keeping my eye on this pretty much since it was announced and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed as more information and reviews came out. The short controller is a huge set back in a day and age where wireless controllers are the norm, and the selection of games seems lacking. No Duck Hunt? Wtf.

Now, if a Super NES or an updated, more improved Sega classic came out I would be all over it. I want Battletoads dammit!

Until then I'll stick to a good old fashioned emulator where I can get all the super SW, Aladdin, Battletoads, Sonic 1-3, The Lion King, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Mario, Comix Zone, Pocahontas, TMNT, Sonic & Knuckles, Zelda, and DK all in the same place.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They would have to include a wiimote in order to play that (since a zapper light gun of any scale wouldn't work on a modern TV) and they wouldn't include one for just a single game.

And, honestly, that game's wiimote version is waaaaaaay too easy and not worth paying an extra $20 for the controller.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Reggie Fils-Aime explains why the Mini was in short supply.

Whether you buy his explanation or not, is up to you.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SNES Classic Edition Announced

And while that announcement was expected, the game list has some incredible surprises:

1) It includes Super FX Chip titles like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island (which have never been officially emulated before)

and, 2) IT INCLUDES STAR FOX 2!!! That game was finished but never released due to the N64 and shifting development to SF64 (and included things such as All-Range Mode and the walker mode not implemented until SFZ). There was a ROM floating around the net for decades of this game but even that is of an unfinished build lacking key gameplay features.

It also includes two controllers. Here's the full list:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby's Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man X
    • Secret of Mana
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi's Island

Nintendo's page for it.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Woooo another overpriced ROM box that no one will be able to buy!

Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One can hope that, after learning from the NES Classic supply issues, when combined with both the costs involved in emulating the SFX chip and porting an unreleased retro title, that this one will be a little but more pleasant of an experience.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Another solid collection. I personally would've loved to see Donkey Kong Country 2 and Mega Man X2 included, but I'm surmising those were left out due to limited space. Still very cool we get Yoshi's Island both Star Fox games though!

Anyway, congratulations to the five people who will actually be able to buy this thing. :p

Nobody145 likes this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Really cool that they're using the SNES mini to officially release Star Fox 2 after all these years.

That said
    lol

Chewgumma and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I still can't get a Switch if I wanted to get one.

Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, at the very least, only so much as to plan for at least the "double run" of the NES Classic from the outset, if not more.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "It's not artificial scarcity, it's just an unbroken 35 year streak of consistently underestimating how many units we need to produce and then saying we're surprised when it happens." - Nintendo

I mean, I'll happily concede if they get it right this time but I know which way I'd bet in Vegas, y'know? :p

Life and Rew like this.
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I too wish DKC2 was on there at least, I think that's when the series hit its peak, it had my favorite soundtrack at least. DKC3 was still good, but I miss DKC2 more. And yeah, same with X2, my favorite armor upgrades (X3 was a bit of a downgrade).

Nice to see Earthbound on that list. I'm happy that Super Mario World and RPG are there too, those are some of my favorite SNES games. Now to wait for Amazon and Gamestop's "sold out" pages to go up.

Rew likes this.
  15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Indeed. Both DKC and MMX are nostalgic favorites of mine and definitely the ones I played the most and became best at. But in some ways, their immediate sequels (DKC2 and MMX2) might be even better. I also agree that the third entries (DKC3 and MMX3) were a step down in both cases from the first two entries, but still good overall.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Nevermind. Found my answer. :)

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Once again, this does not interest me in the slightest. Emulators are the way to go.

18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I have all of those SNES games already on VC. I do want to play Star Fox 2, though. Maybe it will be released on VC eventually.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You don't have the SNES Yoshi's Island or Star Fox 1 on VC.

As for SF2, it's hard to say if it will release separately- Super FX Chip games have not been released on any Virtual Console emulator so far. Up until now it was believed that this was due to Argonaut retaining the rights to the technology and that Nintendo was waiting for the patent to expire before releasing them (and that their inclusion in this Classic release suggests that that has occured).

However, in reaction to this release, Argonaut's founder revealed that Nintendo has always owned the patent to the SFX Chip. So, that surprise revelation suggests it was a technological limitation in the emulators being used for the existing VC platforms (as is somewhat obvious, the VC emulators aren't exactly perfect, though most audio/visual issues i've encountered have been with NES games) that prevented those games from being released. And Nintendo will not use 3rd party emulators (which is why Super Metroid was removed as an unlockable bonus in Metroid Prime 1 on GCN, as they had no SNES emulator at the time).

So, if whatever limitation has now been overcome by this console, it's possible we could see them come to VC now. But on the other hand, we haven't heard any news on the VC for Switch yet and they're unlikely to invest in significantly upgrading the Wii U's VC technology and I'm not sure they'd do so for the 3DS (or, more likely, the N3DS) either.

It could end up being a part of the supposed subscription service rumored to be in the Switch's future. But, barring a Switch VC platform being established, the only way to truly own SF2 will seemingly be the SNES Classic.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    True, but the GBA version is on there. There are trade-offs in terms of quality, but it is there for all intents and purposes. Whether you prefer one version over another is entirely subjective.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but the trade-off in terms of quality is the main concern. Playing the original quality version of what is technically still a main series Mario game is a nice bonus.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    US pre-orders for the SNESC are on the near horizon now. Walmart's went up (and sold out) friday night fast and Gamestop has a sign-up page to get alerts on it. Target has also announced that they will be taking pre-orders for the SNESC too.

Apparently, though, the Walmart pre-orders went live by accident, so a lot of them are being cancelled, so keep that in mind moving forward.

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd love one of these.

But it'll be a cold day in hell before I go to scalpers for one.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pre-orders confirmed for "late this month":

"We appreciate the incredible anticipation that exists for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, and can confirm that it will be made available for pre-order by various retailers late this month.

A significant amount of additional systems will be shipped to stores for launch day, and throughout the balance of the calendar year."

25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I've got my phone set to alert me whenever a few select Twitter accounts post something new in an effort to be on top of the pre-orders, and boy am I sick of my text tone. "Late this month" can't come soon enough so I can go back to not having to pull my phone out of my pocket every two minutes at work.