main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    here I am!

Jedi Ben and Rylo Ken like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This now lands netflix most popular TV show around the world. A big hit, i can see this show improving with present and straight stories, next season is when the saga begins. This was just the prolouge. I can see it going for 10 seasons og they like.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Here's the great soundtrack from the witcher, they all great and remijnds me of the great soundtrack from the witcher video games, Some of them might be even better. Jaksier kills it with his songs.

starfish and heels1785 like this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    For those who's been binge-watched the show for these last two weeks and are awaiting the year + wait. Won't be to long before we could be getting more Witcher content. A while back there was rumors of an animated project that would tie to the live action, but would focus on minor characters in the saga. Maybe we get an animated projects that runs in between the seasons of The Witcher.

https://redanianintelligence.com/20...teases-interesting-surprises-between-seasons/

5. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I loved it!!! this show was so fun it was everything I was wanting out of game of thrones the right amount of dialogue, action this feels more like a fantasy show whereas game of thrones felt like a political drama more so than high fantasy. I bought the game I’m excited to dig into the lore of this show this could easily go on for 7 seasons.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well yeah, part of the appeal of GOT is that it's political drama just in a fantastical setting. But that setting builds in GOT. Witcher is different for sure, being fantasy through and through from the outset. I don't think they're really that similar at all. But I enjoy both.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I watched the first three episodes.

Triss doesn't have bright red hair. No random kids shouting "WHO WANTS TO GO JUMP IN PUDDLES." 1/10

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I enjoyed it a great deal. Might also be because I binged it while sick so it was the only thing I could do, but, I found the experience positive on the whole.

Now I'm debating whether or not to actually play the games finally or whether playing the games will spoil future seasons of the show. Hm.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And miss an opportunity to decide the fate of a Roman Empire stand-in?

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So next season will be big story for Ciri, developing the father-daughter relationship.

Also this funny video with Tomek Baginski trying to see how the cast of the Witcher can do Polish.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Third one features a fairly important character from future books that hasn't been introduced in the show yet, and also spoils a pretty major plot development/reveal from the last book (so end of the show, I'd guess). I think the first two are fine (most of the supporting characters are original and not from the books). There are some book characters that should appear later in the show, but their presence in the game shouldn't spoil anything.

But do read the books if you can. ;) They're just the best - the original.

Anyway, we've just finished watching the last episode. I have thoughts, will need to process them, and maybe tomorrow there will be a long post coming from me. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Much appreciated!

Guess I'll think about it. I like the show and would prefer to watch it unspoiled, but it also looks like the second season isn't coming until 2021 so who knows when the show will actually finish. That's a long time to not play a game I already own.

But in the meantime I might as well start off with the second game, I guess.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Did you play the 1st game, Jello?

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The first game has a good story in it but terrible gameplay. I like more the second game and third is a masterpiece.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Slightly contra Mar, I feel like this might be a bad idea for you, specifically, given the rest of your post. The second game is actually going to spoil the everloving **** out of you on some pretty serious details. Large chunks of the main plot are predicated on Geralt figuring out/remembering what happened to him at the end of the series and why he showed up in the first game without remembering anything. It's not as spoilerific as when [redacted] and [redacted] turn out to be [redacted] in Witcher III, and also [redacted] comes right out and says they're [redacted]'s [redacted] at the beginning of the game, but it's pretty spoiler-y.

Your best option is to read the books first. They're good books, Jello. :p

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well yes, obviously. The best thing is to read the books. :p

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I already watched a cutscene movie of the first game, and am going to do the same for the second game. So I've already spoiled the **** out of myself in terms of the show :p But yeah, this is all in pursuit of actually finally playing The Witcher 3 this year. I am the world's slowest reader, so reading all those wasn't really an option.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    They're more like a collection of short stories as I recall. You can pretty much just read a handful of them and have an idea.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I know... and I am going to Hawaii next month and mostly just sitting on the beach to read. I COULD read some of those short stories I guess...

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's simply not true. There are two short story collections - an ongoing plot starts in the short stories and becomes the main focus in five proper novels. The games unambiguously spoil the main plot, including some pretty significant details about how the books (and by extension the Netflix show) end. If someone is concerned about spoilers, the games should be avoided.

Edit: For the record, I'm by no means saying you can't start the games from the jump if you want to! But I am saying there's a plot-ass plot that can be spoiled, you're going to be spoiled, and you have to make your peace with that. Or read the books. Or wait ten years or whatever for the show to wrap up. These are the options. :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I learned that the reverse was true for the first game - if you didn't read the novels first, you didn't know what the **** is happening. The opening is literally a recreation of part of one of the earliest short stories, yet is presented in a way that you're just completely confused.
    Plus, they got the year wrong which has caused nothing but headaches trying to date the games.

Ramza likes this.
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’d think that’d be pretty easy - 2007, 2011, 2015. Bam, done. :p

Jedi Ben and blackmyron like this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I think I've only read the short stories then.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All this exchange is doing is confirming my belief that spoilerphobic culture is nonsense. :p