main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    So it seems our dear legandary jedi master Luke Skywalker might join this series as the sage old wise witcher master.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Throw a coin to the Jedi

nilzo antonio likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The original article's source was We Got This Covered so I wouldn't hold your breath that this is accurate.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Fans were campaigning for him to get the role. So I hope it's true.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We have our lovely Nivellen.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So I’m currently episode 5 and I have to say even though I’ve been a fan of him since his Tudor days Henry Cavill has really knocked it out the park as Geralt!

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Started binging this a few weeks ago with a friend. Probably shouldn't have taken a 3 week break between episodes 3 and 4, as things like characters and their relationships were lost in that gap which affected the impact of events and information revealed in episode 4. So, I think, in retrospect, if anyone is going to be checking out the series, they should definitely aim to hit up the first 4 episodes in their first binge batch, instead of the usual "start with 3" approach Netflix content tends to be built around.

That said, I'm really enjoying the world and most of the characters, even if everyone except Geralt and Yennefer is referred to by me by nickname and I still mispronounce "Geralt" like "Jerry". The princess is Destiny Girl, her pursuer is the Black Knight, the Bard is the Bard, Yennefer's mentor is Not Alice Krige, the wizard is Ballsack and the mimic is Falsesack.

So far, I'm up to the point where
    we left the Amazon Woods and aren't sure if the Destiny Girl we see last is actually her or is Falsesack taking her form after being pursued by (or possibly chasing, given they mix it up) the Black Knight.
    . Viewing timeline hiccups aside, really enjoying the series so far- and, being a sucker for iconography, I love how each episode has an associated identifying symbol.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ugh. [face_plain] How about less invented stuff and more focusing on the main show and making sure it stays true to the books?

The least good things in series 1 were the things the show added or changed for no reason (or stupid reasons).

This makes me wonder whether the showrunners are only interested in bleeding the franchise dry as quickly as possible, instead of truthfully adapting the source material...

Rew likes this.
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well if the goal here was to avoid appearing nakedly reactionary to every move the other streaming services are making they've failed miserably. "Amazon and HBO are doing prequels? PREQUEL TIME!"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean it makes sense, they want to do a series of explaining of how witchers are made and how humans came to the world. It be better with a mini series covering that instead of Season 2 trying to dive into it with flashbacks or diallogue. And this IP has existed since the 80's and only now they expanding more. This is someting GOT should have done when it was popular and before season 8 and now no one cares for GOT anymore.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Soon enough they're all going to be pretty desperate to promote their meager new content offerings. "Look at the things we're filming in countries that are only slightly crippled by the pandemic!"

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Gwent: Origins

Ramza and Darth Guy like this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    What were cards called in the books, i don't remember. I know they played lots of dice.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No they don't, they just have this vague idea that "prequels are in" so they pulled a prequel premise out of their ass. No one ever ****ing cared - as evidenced by the fact that this series is decades old and nobody ever ****ing cared!

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    No, it doesn't. Why does everything have to be explained to the nth degree and shown how it began? I don't need to see the Conjunction of the Spheres on screen.

If anything, they should instead just keep the scene between Vilgefortz and Geralt in the art gallery on Thanedd. Perfect way of showing the history of the world in snapshots that tell the audience the brief strokes and context, while leaving the details to the imagination.

Regarding your other question, the cards in the books are called gwint (or gwent), but they're nothing like the cards in the Witcher 3 game - they seem to work more like German playing cards. They don't really play dice in the books.

Ramza likes this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... but man, they love playing that stupid 'dice poker' in the Witcher 1 video game.

Ramza likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, Barrel (the books went with a literal translation in English) seems to just be Doppelkopf with dwarf motifs. For what it's worth I think Gwent was a pretty terrific little idea, especially since you can't really capture the intricacies of contract negotiation in a single-player video game. Obviously somebody remembered how great playing Triple Triad in FFVIII was, and the rest is incredibly lucrative history.

I hate how much I love the dice poker themes because holy hell did those actual minigames suck.