main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

What could this be, a crossover?

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Such a tease!
    Also this, seems wait more for witcher trailer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The witcher now seems to have it's own youtube channel so good, we might soon be getting a trailer for the anime movie.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

New cast member added to the witcher family.:)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

First real Teaser, looks good.!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Ghost likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, can't be worse than the perpetually indulged Empress Georgiou.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is that a new actress for Ciri??

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    No same actress.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

They are Writing season 3 of the Witcher now, so Thanedd!

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    animation looks decent, maybe it will be all right

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I couldn't go past the second episode of the first season. I found it super boring and poorly made. It might be the first time ever that I find a story way more interesting in a videogame than in its show/movie counterpart.

EDIT = I should read the books though, to have the full picture.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You should absolutely read the books, yes. :)

mnjedi, Ramza, 3sm1r and 2 others like this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The books and the games form a great continuous saga (even if the book author doesn't think so :p )

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Book authors are often in a difficult spot when asked about corresponding games or tv shows.
    They need to avoid talking **** about the new material but they must also somehow encourage people to read the books themselves.

Martin was funny on that point of view, especially toward the last few seasons of GoT. "they are... Great... but.... Huh.... Different"

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    GoT is a different beast - the show is clearly an alternate version of the novels.

The Witcher games directly follow from the novels and build off of them. He's always been dismissive of them, but hasn't come out with anything himself, other than his 'prequel' novel (which the Heart of Stone DLC promptly included references to).
    I've always been an advocate of the idea of canon to be something primarily fan-based, as it was in the beginning, and I find the novel-video game combo to be greater than the sum of its parts, so to speak - but that's only because of Witcher 3.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The only issue I'd have with Witcher 3, particularly with Blood and Wine is that

by bringing Regis back it undermines his sacrifice in The Lady of the Lake.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't usually like comic-book style 'return from the dead', but I felt Regis' return earned it.
    Besides, it's the land of fairytale endings. ;)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I enjoy the games, obviously, but I don't see why Andrzej Sapkowski is obligated to like the story CDPR told or why he needs to prove anything narratively when he clearly thinks the story is done.

darthcaedus1138 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, he isn't. And there's obviously nothing stopping him from writing further novels that would directly contradict the games.
    But I'm in no way obligated to think the same way. Normally I tend to be conservative about what secondary material actually to be considered on the same level as the primary in my mind; Sturgeon's Law applies to tie-in material too. But the Witcher game trilogy certainly meets my personal criteria.

22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Ok gents, I’m still having a hard time getting into the game even on PS4 and I’m convinced it’s because I fall into an audience bracket that would enjoy this experience all the more if I had better context behind the characters. With that said, I wanna watch the tv show, but more importantly, I want to read the books. And that’s where I get conflicting advice everywhere. That’s why I turn to you, JCCers. As I’m slowly exploring this game, what order should I also be reading these books for the first time? When should I give the show a go?

I had the same experience of not being able to get into Mass Effect for the longest time so I’m convinced I can get over this wall- I just have to out nerd myself.

or maybe I’m just this guy

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I'd recommend reading the books to get a better understanding what is going on. I remember playing The Witcher without having read the books and being confused as hell. It's best to read the books in the order of publication - while the first two are technically short story collections, they still set up not only the Witcher universe but also the key elements of the ongoing plot of the novels - definitely read those, because it sets up everything with Yennefer, Geralt, Dandelion/Jaskier, and Ciri. The first season of the TV show only covers some of the early short stories (also establishing the core elements).

Rew, Ramza and Bacon164 like this.
  24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Also idk why I said “ok gents” or “this guy” - let’s just pretend I said ‘gals’ or something.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't recall anyone ever saying that until the show became terrible. While there was some slight deviances early on (eg the wedding rape scene), people were initially praising that as "truer" to the character or whatever.