main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Don’t worry, I’m not one of those people. Triss is a character I hold very near to my heart, so I had a very clear picture in my head of what I would’ve liked to see. But I’ve been proven wrong before with casting I was sceptical about.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    FTFY. ;) The game didn't get Triss quite right, either...

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly I'm so bad at remembering what characters are supposed to look like in books that they could cast basically anyone for anything and I'd have to believe them. "Was Dijkstra always a two-foot tall penguin? Huh, totally forgot about that. Oh well."

Edit: Now I'm just imagining a penguin waddling around orchestrating schemes together with Philippa and you know what? Go for it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The game ****ed his name so badly. It's not "Deekstra", it's "Dyk-stra". It's a bloody Dutch name, not some sort of... whatever that was.

Savages.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "Deekstra" is basically the Polish pronunciation if you forget to put a bit of oomph on the j's sound.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Polish people are racist to the Dutch?

Remind me to ram my Polish-Australian friend off track next time we play F1 2018.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope the series is witching enough.

Ramza and Ender Sai like this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Ramza and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    SO i found this thread. On The Witcher netflix reddit page comes info almost everyday if anyone's intrested.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So no one's been posting her since my last pot i tought i share a little as The Witcher is one my favorite genres.
    We get a logo for the Witcher series.

It's getting released in december with a possible teaser soon and a trailer by setember.

We already have our very first look at Ciri and dryads in the forest of Brokilon.

Also in old news if not everyone has been paying attention, Mahesh Jadu to play the main villain of the show.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflixwitcher/comments/bb5pve/mahesh_jadu_confirmed_as_part_of_the_cas/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Also lastly the writing of Season two is already underway and be doing season 1 promotion soon.

11. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Dear PCGamer,

Geralt only uses two swords in the games, not the books, so I estimate that second sword is arriving never. :p

Love,
    Ramza

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Henry Cavill looks lovely. Also, lovely as Geralt :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I loved the looks of Henry Cavill as The Witcher, his posture, his costume and how he feels and looks. It aslo looks familiar with posters of game Geralt.=P~
    Yennefer looks striking wither her costume and her posture with a dagger in hand.[face_batting]
    Cririlla looks almost elvish in her skin and posture. She's my favorite love her.[face_love]

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope this can finally cure get Henry Cavill of the Snyder plague. Positively witching!

Ramza likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah he's a good actor who's been stuck in a series of bad films.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Actually, he does use two swords in the books, but the silver one is kept carefully wrapped up at his saddle/wherever he’s staying. It’s too precious and expensive to risk bashing it in day to day life. ;)

Anyway, my immediate gut reaction to the first official pictures was cautious excitement, rather than worry or disappointment, so that’s good.

Things I like:

- Geralt overall. The hair looks much better than the first screen test. The costume looks good and I like the eyes - clearly vertical slits, but not cartoony-looking (hope they make use of showing how his pupils dilate and contract).
    - The logo. Love the wolf/swallow/star combination. [face_love]
    - Yennefer’s violet eyes and costume.

Things I don’t like:

- Yennefer’s hair. It’s supposed to be a rich, wild mane of curly locks, not these puny few strands... :(
    - Yennefer still looks way too young. I’m not getting the sense of power and timelessness that she displays in the books. I understand a lot of this will come down to acting, but so far I’m not filled with much optimism on this front...

Things I wish were better, but I can live with:

- Ciri. She looks fine (as far as I can tell they gave her green eyes, which is good), but she seems a bit too old. She starts the novels as 12-13 year old and ends as 15-16 - and in the Sword of Destiny where she meets Geralt for the first time, she’s supposed to be around 9-10. And it doesn’t look like they got a child actress to play her as a child, so I’m curious as to how they handle that particular story.
    - Geralt’s medallion. A different take, not what I was expecting, but not a dealbreaker for me.

Can’t see Yen’s star properly, so withholding opinion on that.

Obviously, the pictures are clearly promo shots, so things might look a bit differently in the actual show.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't played the games or read the books, so my judgements are purely based on what looks neato :p Yennefer still looks young to me, too.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I really need to do a reread at some point.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Wait, really? I've read those stories years ago, but I don't remember if Geralt had one sword or two. I do think that the two swords thing from the games is neat, though.

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    He has two swords. Regular steel one and a silver one for monsters that are susceptible to silver. He just doesn’t wear them both all the time like in the game.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually after some quick term searches it seems he had them both on his person in the latest book but not in earlier books so not even Sapkowski seems to always get this right. :p

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm just beyond hyped for this. I just finnish listening to the audiobooks and i just love the witcher and this world all the more. I play the witcher games regulary. They going to comic con. Hopefully a teaser for us to get more hyped up on.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In-universe, that is one of the earliest stories.
    .... plus he can't keep track of his own dating system. The dating of his latest novel as well as the dating of the games are the "How long is a SSD ?" of the Witcher universe.

Ramza likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    But the horse thing is right there in “The Witcher” and I think Storm is set after the entire Last Wish collection? Maybe?

blackmyron likes this.