main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how they will address Roach with how the horse get's everywhere and anywhere even those that seems ridiculous.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Geralt looks great. Yennifer looks okay. She's young looking, and frankly I hate her costume there, but she doesn't look bad. Ciri looks perfect for lady of the lake, but maybe not so much the start of the series. Gonna have to see how they play that before I judge too much though.

Edit: actually I dunno... they didn't give Geralt a single scar. The dude looks a bit too pretty to be a Witcher. Seems they couldn't convince cavil to spend extra time in make-up.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Season of Storms is the last published book (after quite a bit of a gap since Lady of the Lake) but chronologically takes place somewhere between The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny.

Don’t even get me started on the nonsensical publishing order of the English translations... :p

And Sapkowski gets plenty of contradictions in his books - the most glaring one is when the Lodge of Sorceresses votes on Ciri’s request to go and see Geralt one last time. It’s supposed to be a tie, with Philippa Eilhart tipping the scales in Ciri’s favour, but when you actually count the votes... :p

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't think Geralt has scars on his face in the books, mostly around his body. I think the games only added scars on his face.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    He also has the hyper-masculine ability to reload his beard by pumping his fists.

[​IMG]

Which may come in handy if they ever do decide on going for the Wild Hunt look, but may make filming the fight sequences difficult.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Those images are looking great. I really, really hope this series turns out amazing.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's all explained in the final DLC to Witcher 3. Explained, literally, by Roach herself.

8. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I think Cavill's going to kill it as Geralt. Dude's pretty underrated—I enjoyed him in Mission Impossible and as Superman (except in Justice League.) That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic. If they screw this up I'm not sure I can forgive them. But I'm almost certain even if it flops/fails/disappoints, Cavill won't be the problem.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll only watch it if Mr. Cavill proclaims every 5 minutes or so that his medallion is humming or that the wind is howling.

IF NO, I NO PRAISE GERALDO

10. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yeah you're right, I remembered that after I edited, then lost the ability to edit further. The scars on his face are new, as Ciri even comments about them having not been there last time she saw him in Wild Hunt.

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, guys, this series is based on the books, not the games. Forget about the games (good as they are). :p

Ramza likes this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hell they probably have to actively avoid anything introduced in the games because of how licensing works.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So there's been a few complaints from gamers only.
    1. Why not two swords.
    2. Why no beard
    3. Why the medallion round.
    It's all pretty funny og you think about it. It has been confirmed that we will get a teaser.
    Yess i know of that i played it a few times. But i was thinking of the show, will we get Roach humor. Also i think in the novels his horse was a little stupid sometimes and he was frustated.
    Yeah he dosen't have any yet, but in one of the first episodes he gets a slash from a little princess. i think he gets a few in the show moving forward.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The best Roach running gag in the books is the fact that it's always a different horse, but always a mare and always called Roach. :p

I hope the show keeps that. And Dandelion being confused, "This is not Roach, Roach looks different" and Geralt being like "All my horses are called Roach, silly". :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So i wonder how mutch stories from Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri will change as after the first two Geralt is more of a side character, we have him yes but as mutch as before and Yennefer barely appears after attack on the school of the witches. Ciri is aged up becose of the rape scenes and therefore mutch of how she acts and reacts is different also her story might also. They will be the leads and therefore i excpect some changes. In season 1 they will not all be in all of the episodes. Since it's about slowly introducing them and starting the character's relationships. In other seasons they be in all episodes and have larger roles, i excpect Jaksier to have bigger role. We know some orginal content will be created to explore Yennefer and her longing for family and her youth. We also early books characters with siden hill.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

I'm really hoping the vibe is just tactical marketing decisions (and Netflix has been known to cut some bad trailers!) because there's not a whole lot of personality in this teaser.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I haven't played the games, but I hope the next trailer is more character-centric, to better understand what's going on.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Visually it looks great, but yeah it’s hard to tell whether the characters are likable yet.

I mean, I like the characters from the books and the little bit of the game I’ve played but still it’ll be interesting how they translate to the show.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Not bad, not bad. Everything we’ve seen so far looks promising.

21. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Like a 3rd of the way through witcher 3 base campaign ( lost my save most of the way through and its a big game to re-tackle from start). Netflix show really looking good. Ciri looks much younger and better than the promo stills implied. Geralt looks...way too muscular? Yen is ok.

I love that they appear to be taking witcher potions/ alchemy seriously based on his face fighting the arachas ( i think?) at the end. They got side effects and it showed.

22. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Really loved the trailer actually. It's not that I think the show looks like a masterpiece, but it's just exciting to see characters I love so much get a tv series. I dunno. My previous worries are mostly gone. I'm just happy to see it. Anya as Yennefer looks great by the way!

Glitterstimm likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The source material is excellent, and I feel that's half the battle with fantasy tv these days. Henry Cavil is perfect imo, Geralt's not much of a talker, and the rest of the cast seems good too. It's too much to expect great writing, but as long as the production values are good then it should be fun.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I remain cautiously optimistic. I like that I can immediately recognise the locations in the trailer (old palace in Wyzima, Blaviken, Aretuza and Thanedd, Brokilon, Cintra - both during Pavetta's engagement feast and the Massacre).

One thing I really hope the show will keep is the humour of the books. The trailer looks a bit too serious, which is fine for a trailer, but I hope it's not an indication that Netflix want to make this into a replacement of GoT, being all doom and gloom and taking itself too seriously. But that's too early to say.

Cavill looks good as Geralt, if a bit bulkier (Geralt is described in the books as slim and sinewy, relying on speed and agility rather than brute strength).

Yennefer looks slightly better in motion than on still photographs, but I'm still not getting the sense of imposing power she has in the books.

In the ET interview, Lauren Hissrich mentioned that they originally started casting Ciri as much younger, 11 or so, which would have been more in line with the books, but then decided to age her up. I'm hoping this will work. I'm also curious how the dynamic of The Sword of Destiny will change with Ciri grown up (in the book she's around 8-9 at the time). Then again, the trailer only shows her in Brokilon, without Geralt... So it might be a very different adaptation.

Anyway. I'm still really looking forward to the series, but I really really hope they remain faithful to the spirit of the books.

starfish likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I have seen the teaser a 10 times already lol, and have seen all interviews, and i can honestly say they sold me 100% on this show. They talked of the family dynamic and the drama. It be lots of monsters and it some stories they explore futher and original ones that the novels skip in their timeskip. I heard they released 3 clips of all 3 leads. I love the look and feel of the Witcher. Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer has nailed their roles. I think the world and fantasy is a mutch larger and better then GOT.