main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's "The Witcher" (based on the famed video game series) Now with less Cavill

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Sep 4, 2018.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Do not know zip, but it looks good.

If it winds up on iTunes, I’ll blind buy it. No streaming here.

I like Henry.

2. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I really enjoyed The Witcher 3 and I think Cavill can do justice to Geralt, but a lot of it depends on what direction they go with the writing, etc.

3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm sure a lot of Song of Ice and Fire fans will hate me, but there's a LOT of fantasy adaptations coming up, and most of them have better worlds and more interesting fantasy elements than GoT. Witcher, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, etc, all good stuff. I feel the same way about the cast. I continue to get sold on them the more I see.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't know mutch of Wheel of time, but both The Witcher and Lord of the rings are mutch larger better in it's world building and fantasy element plus the characters are mutch better. Geralt of Rivia over Jon snow any day. The production and effcts tema seems to be on par with latest GOT season if not above it. And we get in first sason a real battle and massacre of Cintra. The mosnters will be top of visuals they are practical with little cgi.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So, based on the trailer and the cast that was announced so far, I believe the following short stories should make appearance:

The Witcher
    A Question of Price
    The Lesser Evil
    The Last Wish
    A Shard of Ice
    The Edge of the World
    The Bounds of Reason
    The Sword of Destiny
    Something More

That's 9 stories for 8 episodes, so there might be some jiggling about, plus we get to see Yennefer's backstory (which is only alluded to in later books) and the direct prologue to the novels - the Battle of Marnadal and the Massacre of Cintra. So these will be mixed in there somehow.

That probably means we won't get to see these short stories:

A Grain of Truth
    The Voice of Reason
    A Little Sacrifice
    Eternal Flame

It's a shame that we probably won't see "Eternal Flame" - it's one of my favourites. I love the quirkiness of it, the silly absurd humour of it. Oh well. :p

6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Looks good Cavill is a massive fan of the series games and books so I’m pretty optimistic

7. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Granted none of us have seen it...is wanting 17 seasons wrong?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's Netflix, assuming you don't have to pay royalties to Disney they will run shows into the ground. Haven't seen the trailer, I'm watching too many shows as it is, sheesh!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Er, yes. There's only so much material in the books to adapt. The first series is adapting most of the short stories and seems to end just at the last one (Something More) that immediately precedes the first novel. The five novels could probably take 3 series to adapt (especially if they increase the episode count to 10 per series). And that's where the story ends - I don't want them to start inventing new material like the games did. It's the books of Andrzej Sapkowski that I want to see adapted on screen, stories that I've known and loved for almost 20 years now.

Ramza likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I see this going for 6-8 seasons, depending of how mutch time the seasons spending with original and source material. There time skiped in the books the show will show and there will be somethig similar to side quest in the show. backstories for characters will be showed. If i had to guess i think the Witcher keeps the 8 episdes thing and each novel is either one season long or one and a half. They might take stuff from other short stories later on.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't read the books or played the games, but this looks pretty good. Hopefully it's not dull. But I love Cavill, so.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, you should definitely read the books. :) They're brilliant, even if the English translation is a bit dodgy and inconsistent across the books...

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am the world's slowest reader. I am currently reading A Dance with Dragons and that will easily take me all year :p But maybe once I'm caught up with ASOIAF I will give these a shot.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Do. :) The Witcher books are nowhere near as long (or as bloated) as ASOIAF, and the narrative flows very nicely. Much of the story is told through dialogue rather than long descriptions.

The first two books are collections of short stories, which are mostly standalone, but a few directly set up the following pentalogy of novels.

Ramza likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also even in translation Sapkowski is obviously willing to get interesting and experimental with his writing and presentation in a way Martin never is, so I think they go down a lot easier just due to variations. I never got "I'm reading a bunch of fantasy novels back to back" burnout with The Witcher the way I did with ASoIaF.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Master_Lok and Mar17swgirl like this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I love ASOIAF and don't get burned out or anything. I am just a very slow reader because I picture everything like a show or movie when I read.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I've re-read the Witcher books so many times I've lost count. They never get boring.

And I totally agree about Sapkowski's willingness to be experimental - I probably mentioned this in this thread, but I particularly love the chapter on the Battle of Brenna. The story is told through the viewpoints of several different characters, both in "real time" and being referred to in the future, and often the "cut" to a different viewpoint is very short (a single paragraph, or even just a single sentence), but still manages to paint a picture, to evoke an atmosphere.

It's concentrated, economical, but highly efficient writing.

Master_Lok and Ramza like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

We got our young boy Geralt, trials of the grasess?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    New trailer:

Netflix release date is 12/20.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Bit of a generic trailer, but I don't mind. They are trying to draw in mainstream audiences to what's still a fairly obscure franchise. But it's looking decent enough.

Shame they didn't stick with vertical pupils for Geralt's eyes, though...

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Trailer looks good. Better production value than a lot of other Netflix shows from the looks of it. I've been reading The Last Wish recently to get a feel for the world, and I think based on that and what the trailers have shown I'll definitely enjoy it.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I quite liked the trailer and how big it feels. Henry is my Geralt now, aslo that Roach momment. The monsters looks great. I cant wait for Renfri momments. I'm hyped. This will probaly rival the popular game of thrones and maybe surpass it. Also this will last Seven seasons if all goes well.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm a bit confused. If they have been planning seven series, then the first one is awfully rushed. They seem to have squeezed the chronology of the first two books, cutting out some of the short stories to allow for things like Yennefer's backstory. Why not split it into two series, allowing Geralt's relationship with Ciri to develop more gradually (and keeping that lovely story when Geralt meets little Ciri in Brokilon)?

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm in. As long as the characters look perplexed/stoned i.e. the original Witcher game.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Will there be Gwent?