main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Netus as Chancellor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Somebody help me out here - hasn't it been confirmed that Netus was a Supreme Chancellor?

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Paging LetoII....

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Exactly what I was thinking, QG.

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    :: hears page, arrives in thread :: [face_coffee]

Virtually, yes -- he's referred to as "President of the Senate" in the comics, which was retconically synonomous with "Supreme Chancellor" after Episode I premiered (or at least, there's been nothing to suggest a shift in the post after the Great Sith War).

Too, the NEC now has Supreme Chancellors serving as far back as the founding days of the Republic -- Blotus the Hutt, et al, up through the Ruusan Reformation; and we know Palpatine's canonically held *both* titles throughout the continuity. Netus...absolutely.

(Though I like the "Netus-as-Clawdite" fix someone came up with not too long ago...)

5. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Thank you, thank you.

The reason I bring this up is that, at the Wookieepedia article, Cull Tremayne keeps claiming that there's no evidence that Netus was never Chancellor. He says he ahs three sources that specifically say that Netus was not Chancellor. I keep changing it back but to no avail.

What sources say that Netus is the President in the comics?

6. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Not "Netus" by name, but there's page 19 of The New Essential Chronology -- it states outright that Exar Kun uses the dark side of the Force to manipulate and kill "the President of the Senate."

Likewise, we also know from Abel's Mando history article (Insider #80) that Sidrona Diath -- Supereme Chancellor of the Republic -- was slain during the Battle of Basilisk, very early on in the Sith War; the Speaker's demise occurred in the following year (3,996 BBY). It was very likely simply an artistic screw-up from Akins to Carrasco.

7. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks. His arguments seem to be that, because the two Netuses (Neti?) look different, they're different characters. Interesting too that the NEC used the President of the Senate title as well.

And indeed I was the one who came up with that silly little retcon. Abel, Dan, someone, please read this and work it in somehow!

8. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    No, he is not referred to as Netus. Where is he referred to as Netus? The page where Netus is mentioned, Vodo is addressing the human as Netus, not the squid like President of the Senate.

Yes, I understand that, but Netus is not mentioned in that article.

Right, but Netus is not the name of that character. Netus is the human that fights with the Jedi in the Battle for Coruscant. They are saying that he is the squid president killed by Exar Kun which is absolutely false.

I understand that, but Netus is not the squid person. He is the Minister of Defense who is seen alongside the squid. What do I have to do to convice you? Scan the image?

Kuralyov, please understand that I'm not trying to make trouble with you. I'm just trying to get the article right. The Netus in the Freedon Nadd uprising is consistent with the human that Vodo addresses as Netus in The Sith War. The Squid person is standing right next to Netus, but he is never addressed as Netus.

I don't think there is need for a retcon, Netus and Squid President are seen side by side, The Human (Netus) is addressed as such, the squid is not.

9. Master_Uxi

Master_Uxi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    This is the guy (scarred human former Rocket Jumper) that the TotJ Companion has as the Minister of Defense right?

FWIW, I always considered the pre-Ruusan Republic (at least circa the Great Sith War) to be more Federal in nature, though probably still more Parliamentary in nature. They have a standing military at the very least.

It's likely "The" Republic was something like the French Republic. Like the Frogs, the Galactic Republic was on it's nth Iteration...

10. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005

Right, but they are saying that Netus is actually the Squid President that is killed by Exar Kun, which is not true. The scarred human seen in The Sith War during the Battle for Coruscant is Netus. Which you obviously understood. For some reason they are confusing the two.

11. Master_Uxi

Jun 26, 2005
    So he was probably elected President/Chancellor after Kun's visit to the Senate and the killing of the "Squid," it seems. Or possibly he was next in line of succession. If not both.

12. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005
    Just to drive the nail home. I'll quote the scene with the name Netus from The Sith War

Coruscant, Seat of Galactic Government

Word has reached the Jedi that a rogue Jedi Knight has been leading terror attacks against Republic shipyards.

Master Vodo and a contingent of young Jedi have arrived to convince the Galactic Senate to let the Jedi deal with this renegade, whoever he is.

[A procession of Senators converge on Vodo Siosk-Baas. Among them are several humans, and a squid-like stunted alien. One of the human senators addresses Vodo]

Human: Vodo! It's good to see you again!

Vodo-Siosk Baas: Yes, Netus. I'm just sorry it was to be under these circumstances.

(Doesn't that prove it right there? The human is Netus!)

Squid: Frankly, I think your concern is premature, Vodo. So far, all we have is a rumor of Jedi involvement--noting concrete.

Vodo: The Jedi Masters have reason to believe this is more than a rumor.

Young Soldier (addressing the human senator): A report form Captain Vanicus, sir--at Foerost!

Human: Vanicus has identified the terrorist--You're right, Vodo. This is more than a rumor. The leader of the attack was the Jedi, Ulic Qel-Droma.

(This is just further evidence that this man is Netus, the Minister of Defense from The Freedon Nadd Uprising and the Tales of the Jedi: Companion. The officer reports military findings to the military leader, the human, not the Squid President of the Senate.)

13. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005

Ah, but that would just be speculation. It seems likely, but we can't know for sure who became Chancellor after the Squid. It could be Netus, but we can't know for sure. The problem is that Ive_Got_Two_Legs seems to think that the squid killed by Exar is Netus, and that he has shapeshifting ability which allowed him to appear human in the Freedon Nadd uprising.

14. Master_Uxi

Jun 26, 2005
    If the NEC says Netus was President/Chancellor then it would almost certainly have to be after during or after the appearance in The Sith War, no?

15. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005

I would definitely concede if that was the case. But the New Essential Chronology does not mention the Supreme Chancellor as Netus. It just mentions the Supreme Chancellor, the Squid fellow. Also, Netus is not mentioned as the Supreme Chancellor in the first Essential Chronology. In fact, not source says that Netus is the Squid Supreme Chancellor. Netus is, and only is the scarred fellow from the Freedon Nadd Uprising and The Sith War.

16. Master_Uxi

Jun 26, 2005
    Ah. Gotcha. I obviously don't have the NEC. Every time I'm about ready to buy one of these things, another newer version is announced. ;)

17. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Guys --

For what it's worth, it's a mess...and recall that I only weighed in on whether he was a "Supreme Chancellor" versus "President of the Senate," not whether he was a Pak'ma'ra or not, or ever stated that the NEC referred to him by that particular name. This is apparently a new LFL thing, and it caught me off-guard, too.

It's clear that TotJ: The Sith War #2 shows the scarred guy (Netus, from Freedon Nadd) standing next to the alien President, with Vodo referring to him as "Netus," but right at the moment, from what I hear, it's the LFL party-line that the octo-boy was somehow also named "Netus." (Too, TF.N's own SW Encyclopedia considers Squid-Lad to be Netus in those issues.)

Until and unless this is addressed in a future source...that's what we've got (though personally I prefer the TotJ Sourcebook's progenatorial consistency with Netus's backstory). The original confusion undoubtedly arose over Tentacle-Lips's addressing Vodo in the very next panel, perhaps implying a misdirected dialogue-caption by some; Abel's article filled in the timeframe on approximately when squiddy came to power, but not much else.

18. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005

I believed the TFN encyclopedia's analysis too until I read the comic again and realized that the squid was not Netus and was never called such. That's why I changed the article, which caused this big fuss. Didn't you also say that Netus (the human) had been Supreme Chancellor? (earlier in the thread), perhaps after the squid man's death. Just where is this Human Minister of Defense referenced as becoming the Supreme Chancellor? I can find no source for it.:confused:

Which is what I have been saying all along. And how sure are you on "LFL party-line"? Anyway, until further sources are released which confirm that the Squid Chancellor is named Netus, wouldn't you agree that he should not be named in the succession of Supreme Chancellor?

So (if and when the squid fellow is named Netus) there should be two separate articles, and the human picture from the Freedon Nadd Uprising should stay with the the Minister of Defense Netus and not the squid like Supreme Chancellor. There is no changeling aspect, so to speak.

19. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    (Though my tongue was sticking in my cheek every time I referred to the "changeling"-bit, so there's no issue there.)

I'm quite fine with the notion of two entries, and perhaps a bit of "BTS" out-of-universe info should get added describing the overall situation with the two characters...other folks on here'll probably have more free time than myself to do it, but I do think "Squid-Netus" is one day going to be the very next "Freakin' Sweet Hat" and "Katarn Shoulder-Pad."

20. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005

As in, "This Supreme Chancellor got his name through a discrepancy in which he was confused with the Minister of Defense at the time, Netus".

Just to leave no further doubt (I'm sorry I'm just like that :D)

Netus-Minister of Defense (Human)

Served under the Squid Supreme Chancellor during the events of The Great Sith War and the Onderon Civil War.

Friends with Vodo-Siosk Baas

Part of the Rocket Booster Corps before entering politics

"Netus"-Supreme Chancellor (Squid thing) too lazy too look up the real name.

Supreme Chancellor after Sidrona Diath

Sentenced Ulic Qel-Droma to death after his capture during The Battle of Coruscant.

Killed by Exar Kun on the Senate Floor during the trial of Ulic Qel-Droma

No doubt :p

21. Cull_Tremayne

Jun 27, 2005
    All right, I am certifiably insane, and I admit that, but I must have another word on this.

The Human Minister of Defense is called Netus in Three Sources: The Sith War, The Freedon Nadd Uprising, and the Tales of the Jedi: Companion.

The Supreme Chancellor squid thing is called Netus by no official sources, but is called Netus by the Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia here on theforce.net. That name still remains unofficial right?

22. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    well I am glad the Netus question is cleared up; i was wondering why TOTJC never called him Supreme Chancellor--bc he wasn't

the question now is, what is the name of President Squid?

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Perhaps they both are named Netus?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.