main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 6" Black Series Coming From Hasbro

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 30, 2013.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Pictures have been released for the Boba Fett/Han in Carbonite SDCC giftset.

(Click where it says "Pictures have been released" to view.)

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's pretty nice.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Awesome! Unfortunately this will be more popular than syrup at a Waffle House (I don't know. It's late, I'm tired. It's the best I could do). Probably won't be able to touch this on eBay for less than a $100 for a long while.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'd haunt ebay from the start of Comic Con. A lot of time scalpers mostly want their money back and in the beginning only put them up for a small mark-up. It's not until after the Con that they skyrocket.

Course with this being Boba Fett - that's unlikely.

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yea, it's the Boba-factor that has me worried about this one.

Toddy likes this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well ultimately paying twice as much is still cheaper than attending Comic Con :p

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] This is true. $100 might buy you a plain corndog and a small Coke at the snackbar.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hee hee - yeah I remember a few years ago I got a wimpy little sandwich for $8 there.

Not to mention 1 night at a hotel is over $300. Apparently getting Hasbro exclusives is a royal pain. You have to hopefully be at the booth at the right time to get a ticket to buy them. Then you have to be at an assigned room at the right time to buy one and HOPE that by the time you get to the front of the line that they're not sold out.

Yep - give me ebay anyday.

9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    $300? Geez, exploit the situation much there guys? I still plan to get out there one of these years. It's on my bucket list. It's just something I've gotta do.

I'm with you, why pay all that money to go there and then wait around hoping you'll get lucky enough to pick up the exclusives? Go see the sights and then hit eBay.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The few times I went I had a lot of fun. I spent my time watching panels though. First year I tried getting autographs downstairs and had a near panic attack from all of the people (going to SDCC as your first really big initiation into massive cons, not fun for people w/ crowd phobias.) The few times I went I never bought anything just picked up free junk from booths or got free stuff from panels.

Best place for Con exclusive was Wondercon 2012 when they first moved to Anaheim. I walked right up to the Gentle Giant booth, had 1 person ahead of me, and snagged the 3D Popcorn Yoda mini-bust.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That reminds me of going to theme parks in the height of the Summer; especially on a weekend. You can spend up to an hour waiting in line for the more popular rides. Add it up and you spend most of your day standing in line [face_waiting]. That's no fun. Your WonderCon story illustrates why it's probably more fun to attend "smaller" (relatively in this case) Cons.

When I eventually go to SDCC I'll probably target a few things I'm willing to wait on, but for the most part I just want to walk the floor, see the sights and drink it all in.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I've been to SDCC twice, Wondercon in LA once, NYCC for 1 day, Emerald City Con, and Phoenix Comic Con. Plus I attended a Sci-Fi con in Boston eons ago.

SDCC & Wondercon will likely have exclusives. The vendors then sometimes pic other cons for exclusives. Many cons will have all sorts of cool artwork exclusives, t-shirts, and other things if they don't have actual big toy/collectible vendors there selling stuff.

SDCC, NYCC are the big kahunas - they pack in over 100,000 guests. SDCC is relatively easy to get around if you study ahead of time on the maps on where to go. Year 1 is overwhelming, by the second time you know what to expect and it becomes a lot easier to get around like a pro. The Convention center there is massive, yet it's pretty easy to navigate. They also now use the ballrooms at many of the surrounding hotels so you have to really decide what the heck you want to do and plan accordingly if you have to swap buildings. Sales floor is a zoo. It's usually divided up from L-R Artists area, studios booths, big vendors, comics. You REALLY need to study maps before going so you have any clue on where to go. The crowds are BAD, everyone is fighting for free stuff, there are long lines that snake everywhere - guh. I do love going to see the Gentle Giant booth - they always put out nice displays of current merchandise and proto-types of coming soon products.

*Word of warning, Disney is apparently working to make their D23 convention bigger and hope to one day have it rival SDCC, if that becomes the case they'll become the place to go in August for Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars. There's talk Celebration might get absorbed into D23 at some point. If this happens - expect Disney/Marvel/LFL to cut back on their presence at these other larger cons.

The Javits center in NYC is not laid out well - the organizers had nothing signed and next to no one around directing traffic We didn't even get programs. NYCC had some of the best panels I've gone to but I was too overwhelmed by the convention center to venture out to try to find the autograph area. If I could I'd try going for the whole weekend. I was bummed - I brought a ton of money w/ me and missed Carrie Fisher & Ian McDiarmid. I didn't make it to the floor to see anything there, nor did I spend anything.

WonderCon usually is in SF but it got moved and might be staying in LA. I went the first year they moved south. The panels were OK (I'm more interested in TV panels - seeing movie panels/stars was cool but meh no big TV panels that year that interested me,) the floor at the Anaheim convention center was AWESOME. They had these massive huge aisles that were not crowded and easy to get around. If it stays there, I'd recommend going there any day. Also if you go, the center is RIGHT next to Disneyland - score a hotel nearby and your weekend is set!

Emerald City Con - Seattle. Humm...the con was well laid out..to a degree. Apparently there were 2 areas for the sales floor. I went to the area that had all artwork and comics. I didn't realize there was a whole other section w/ the toys somewhere else so I didn't get there :( The areas for the panels are laid out well. You have to climb hills to get into the convention center - so if you're like me and have mobility issues, it's easy to be tired before you even get to the con. They do sell their show exclusives out in the front area though, it was easy for me to score their "Walking Dead" shirt. The staff weren't the friendliest or most on the ball though. There were things about how the con was run that left me unimpressed. They'd need some mighty awesome guests to get me to go again.

Phoenix Comic Con - this is my local con. We've gone from like 500 attendees the first con 13 years ago to now anticipating 30-40,000 this Memorial Day weekend. So far we don't get show exclusives other than artwork from local artists, but we get awesome guests. This year we've only got Sam Witwer for Star Wars but they scored a 15 person Babylon 5 reunion panel, 3 from Walking Dead, etc. Our con is also really well laid out and ultra easy to get around.

Nearly any convention you go to you'll have opportunities to buy stuff. There will be vendors selling toys, artwork, comics at every con. Usually if they're independent dealers you can haggle on prices. If you're talking to actual comic dealers like Dark Horse - expect to pay full price for everything. Comic artists are awesome they'll draw whatever you want for them - oftentimes for free. Smaller cons are great for getting autographs, you don't have to fight as many people. And if you can go the first day the con opens (Friday) the lines aren't nearly as long because the crowds really attack on the weekend.

Oh yeah, and as a final hint, if you run a pretty successful blog/website that's related to sci-fi in anyway you can apply for media/press passes and usually get into cons for free - all they ask is that you provide coverage of attending the Con on your blog in return :)

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    =D= First of all thank you for all of the great info! That took a lot of work, and I really appreciate it. You've definitely made the rounds. That's very cool. I've been to exactly one Con of any kind; the Mid-Ohio Con, which is held in Columbus and is only about an hour away from where I live. *Edit* Apparently, in a bit of corporate re-branding, it's been re-named the Wizard World Ohio Comic Con. Rolls off the tongue doesn't it? This is a true "Comic" Con—at least the year I went (2009). The focus was less Hollywood and more about actual comic books.

- That news re: Disney doesn't surprise me. Now that they've consolidated two properties like Star Wars and Marvel under the same tent they can use that as the foundation to really make D23 an event.

- My friend has flown out to Emerald City Con the last two years, and while he did share some of your complaints, he seemed to enjoy him self and plans to go back next year. Of course this might have more to do with a certain young lady who lives in Seattle than the actual Con :p.

- That's great to see these Cons expanding out to other markets besides New York and So-Cal. And the growth of the Phoenix Con shows that there's an appetite and a market for these beyond the coasts.

- Hmmm, define "successful" blog :p. I use to co-write two with a friend (one weekly, the other monthly); the most successful of which still only got around 3,000 hits per month (though we are part of a larger network of bloggers and podcasters called "The Made of Fail Network", and we cross-promote each other's stuff). I'm currently taking some time off from them because my work schedule just doesn't leave me much time at the moment, but in both cases he found really good replacements. In short, I don't think we're big enough to get a cupon for a free taco, much less a media pass [face_laugh].

Thanks again, PLJ! Awesome, awesome work.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I've read quite a few negative comments about the packaging; "It's bland" is the typical complaint. And while I agree it could've been a bit more dynamic, it does accomplish its primary goal, which is to radically differentiate itself from the less expensive and more kid-oriented standard line. When you walk down the toy aisle there's going to be little doubt which one is which.

The figures look good, though. Say what you will about Hasbro of late, but these sculpts just keep getting better IMO—though Padme's face looks a bit off to me. Mostly the expression. It looks like a mug shot "Senator Amidala, seen here after her arrest on charges of killing an endangered Nexu...".

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Here's leaked the next 2 waves of the figures:

The next Star Wars Black Series Waves 2 & 3 (so all of 2013 basically) will be...
    • Star Wars Episode 3 Anakin Skywalker 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897828
    • Star Wars Episode 3 Obi Wan Kenobi 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898245
    • Star Wars Episode 4 Greedo 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898269
    • Star Wars Episode 5 Luke Bespin 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898252
    • Star Wars Boba Fett 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897811
    • Star Wars Slave Leia 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897804
    • Star Wars Episode 4 Han Solo 6" Action Figure UPC:653569897835
    • Star Wars Episode 4 Stormtrooper 6" Action Figure UPC:653569898238
    Source: flyguy.net

My initial thought, where in the hell is Darth Vader?

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks for the info :D. They're definitely mixing up the waves on both scales of the Black series instead of having them "themed", which is smart IMO; especially with the 6" series. At $20 a pop it's going to be overwhelming for collectors to pick up all four figures from each wave. By mixing movies as well as PT/OT (and possibly EU in the future) it's likely that only 1-2 of the figures from each wave will appeal to collectors, which I believe will not only keep people intersted in the line (by not overwhelming them and also forcing them to look out for companion figures down the road), but also reduce pegwarmers. Look at wave 2 for example. You have Anakin and Obi-Wan (PT), which not only go together but appeal to PT fans, and then you have two figures from the OT; Luke in what I'd say is his most popular outfit and Greedo, who will go nicely with the ANH Han Solo from the following wave.

I know, right? I'm sorta thinking they're trying to save a "core" character to anchor each wave, and you don't get any more core than Vader. It would've been nice to have an ESB vader for the Bespin Luke, but I'm sure we'll get one soon. But I suspect we'll get a ANH Vader paired with an OT Obi-Wan first. Just my guess, though.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think Anakin and Obi-Wan will be released separately - Hasbro said that they'd be packaging each wave 3/4 OT and 1/4 PT. I don't know which figures will get released when. This was just what someone found in upcoming Hasbro inventory.

I'm going to try to pick these up as cases. If I find figures that don't interest me, I can trade them w/ other collectors or take them to my local toy shop for trade. I'm just not interested in driving all over trying to find specific figures, been there, done that, not interested in doing it any more.

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Ahhh. Things have been quiet on this front (officially at least) since Toy Fare. Hopefully Hasbro begins re-engaging collectors again soon. The line has essentially been dromant for over a year now.

The hunt used to be my favorite part of collecting figures. On my days off I'd hit as many as eight stores. I loved turning the corner into the toy aisle and spotting a figure(s) I had been looking for. Now if I can't find them at my neighborhood stores within a reasonable time I just buy them online.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We might hear more at CEII next month as well.

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I figured CE or SDCC.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    FYI Hasbroshop.com has round one of these on pre-order for $19.99 each. If spend $50 shipping is free! (I will be doing this next paycheck!)

23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    And naturally I only want two of them ($39.98) :oops:. I don't think I'll have any trouble scoring these (Luke & Sandtrooper), but if the Boba Fett report is true (wave 2/3), I'll darn sure pre-order that one!

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Aww no R2? He looks awesome!

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    He really does, and I know I'll regret it if I don't get him. Especially once they release a 3PO to go with him. I'll probably end up getting Luke and the Sandtrooper first, and then wait a few weeks and hope that R2 hangs around long enough to pick up later. Kinda $pread the damage out if you get my meaning :p.