main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep, me too. Turning 50 next year.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Good morning besties! (Wow, it's been a while since I've posted here.)

Yesterday, after weeks of frustrated searching, I finally found a good deal and ordered a new laptop.

You all have no idea how big a deal this is for me. My current laptop is a Toshiba I've had since 2014. (I don't even think Toshiba makes laptops anymore?) It is old and slow. It's an AMD A6, which won't tell most of you much, but those who know about computers will probably wince at that. It has 4 GB of RAM (that's... not a lot), and it doesn't help that I've crammed it full of documents, images, videos, and songs over the years. Sometimes it's so slow that if I've been away for a while, when I come back, just pressing a single button is enough to cause the whole thing to freeze up, so I'll get out my phone and wait a couple minutes for it to become usable again. (Then I can perhaps enter a whole word or URL before it freezes up again!)

Also, it's physically falling apart. One of the hinges connecting the monitor to the keyboard has deteriorated to the point where the two are aligned unevenly and there are little plastic bits perpetually falling off the back of my laptop. I'm surprised it still functions at all anymore.

The new laptop should be a godsend. It's an HP Pavilion with an Intel i7 processor (that's really good, I'm told!--I could've gone with an i5) with 16 GB of RAM. Now that I have a better paying job than I did seven years ago, I deliberately went for a slightly overpowered model. I hope I never have to deal with slowdown on a computer ever again.

Also, on the topic of Doctar Whose, it's a three-way tie for me between Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith--all three are superb in completely different ways (likewise Hurt, despite being in only one episode). It's all downhill starting with Capaldi, which is a shame because I really wanted to like both him and Whittaker.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nice! I recently replaced my 2015 laptop that I'd worn into the ground. It's nice to have something that works.

Make sure you take your old laptop into a store that does electronic recycling!

Juliet316, Runjedirun and Rew like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My work laptop is an HP Pavilion. It’s a good one. Got me through a year of Zoom teaching.

Runjedirun and Rew like this.
  7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I have a really old Dell issued by my school. It had frequent significant problems in the months leading up to the start of the pandemic, but then amazingly got me through a year + of all virtual teaching with only a few small hiccups. Couldn't believe my luck with that!

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've had a few HP Pavilions - had pretty good luck with them. My current one is getting up in years as well so I will be shopping at some point. I'd probably go with HP again if there's a model I like.

Rew likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Had an HP prior to my current Lenovo laptop, and though it was nice enough, the longevity of the Lenovo battery has made it a niiiiicer experience... until it wears down, of course. :p

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Almost as old as @Boba Nekhbet

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Happy belated birthday @vin

The weekend edition of Jeopardy! is airing an Alex Trebeck episode. Here come the tears.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Those air every day here. I can't bring myself to watch them. I do watch the current show daily though, with my pen as a practice buzzer. Gotta stay ready!

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    What

There’s a weekend edition of Jeopardy?

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well a Saturday edition where they run re-runs of recent episodes.

solojones and Coruscant like this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Back in Vienna for the first time in 2 years. I’m standing near the spot where my son lost his passport - so many memories

Rew, Darth Punk , harpua and 8 others like this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Having arrived moments ago to the back parking lot/break area here at work, the nicest thing I can say is that I’ve yet to see a raccoon/coyote… still a few minutes to go, though!

Pensivia, Runjedirun and Rylo Ken like this.
  18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I got a program called Foundry and I'm learning how to use it; it's so I can DM a TTRPG, or tabletop game, for others.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Besties, I think I'm gonna try learning some songs on piano again. I got the official BTS piano book but now I'm realizing I have mostly forgotten how to read music. It's gonna be an adventure....

But yeah my parents moved their piano to their basement so now I can go over there and practice without annoying the hell out of everyone.

20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Native Instruments has some great sampled pianos if you ever think about getting a MIDI keyboard. It’s nice to be able to practice with headphones. Nice for my family at any rate when I play.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I live alone so I can practice an actual keyboard out loud if I ever decide to get one. It's just right now the only piano I have access to is the real one at my parents'.

22. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I assume there's a middle or high school kid in a house behind us who plays the tuba. You can hear them practice quite often in the afternoon. You can hear it for blocks, but I don't mind. Also today is my husband's birthday so I got doughnuts and ice cream cake. I am enjoying a Boston Cream doughnut. It's one of my favorites and quite good for being from the grocery store (Giant).

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Besties in five hours I leave for the airport to pick up my brother. He's staying hopefully for a few weeks through my birthday.

Rew, Runjedirun, Coruscant and 3 others like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well now his flight is delayed at least an hour. Harumph.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Delayed even further. The upside is I could take the pain med I was gonna skip. The downside is I won't be home until like ten and I have to work tomorrow..

I'm old.