main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My cats are super cool, but perhaps never as much as the time they decided to pull the Rebel Alliance symbol.

[​IMG]

Sinrebirth , Rew, J-Rod and 19 others like this.
  2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
  3. Darth 47.1

Darth 47.1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 1999
    Have 4 cats myself. All are rescues. Previously my wife had upwards of 20 though most of them were outdoor. My oldest cat sees a partially empty food dish as entirely empty. He will wake me up at 3 in the morning to alert me to this.

Our youngest has the appetite and belly of a cat twice her size and never runs out of energy. She jumps on the head of our oldest and tries to play but he's not interested so he swats and bites her, although they do sleep next to each other on the bed and otherwise get along.

The second youngest can be an ******* and bite or claw you after he demands attention. Then goes back and demands attention again. The next oldest just likes to lay next to me and eat cat grass, and fight with our oldest. They are mortal enemies.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Do we have besties from Stockholm in here?

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sadly I have only been to Stockholm and do not get to live there. Stockholm is great.

6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I've never been there, but I might have to go soon. I need to depict seventeenth-century ships, and in Stockholm they apparantly have the only preserved seventeenth-century ship in the world. So I was wondering if anybody here has seen it.

[​IMG]

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    blimey , I want one of those ^

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, that's the Vasa. Very cool museum.

epic and SuperWatto like this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think @epic is actually in stockholm right now?? maybe you could get him to do your research for you.

solojones and epic like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    My first weekend of work is over besties. I'm still alive. I just want to collapse.

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You were there? Tell us about it!

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The ship sank in a hilarious manner, I recall. It was poorly constructed and they wanted to launch it anyway although they knew it wasn't seaworthy.

So everyone was gathered to watch it... Slowly list and sink once it launched.

13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    How weird, I was literally just there yesterday! It’s a great museum, it’s a massive ship, and has been beautifully maintained. But yeh as @solojones said, a massive design flaw. It’s a really narrow boat, with a really tall mast, and all it took was a gust of wind to make it topple a bit, then water got in the gun ports and basically sunk it. It barely went out a mile before it happened, and everyone saw it, as it happened on a Sunday which everyone had off. The architects knew it was flawed but they were under pressure from the King, who apparently was heavily involved in the design, or so the free 30 minute English speaking museum guide guy said.

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Cool man. Got pics? I know they're on the web, but those aren't epic pics.
    I like your last line because the architects were Dutch.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    @tom Things are looking like they're settling down for Christmas season after all. There's one last serious hurdle coming tonight, which will largely depend on what Macron will say and how it is received, but unless he says something particularly insulting, Christmas season is going to win out.

tom likes this.
  16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Chewgumma likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If you do, SHOW US THE FLUFFY BABY! NOW!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Show us the puppy!

Also, I am a member of Philly's local Irish members house (basically where Irish immigrants and refugees gather to speak in awful brogue and lament everything) and I ended up with a guitar in my hands at the microphone and... in honor of my besties with superb musical taste... I played Unchained and Spiritual off of Cash's Unchained album. I had that album on my mind. It didn't hurt that I also always like to pick songs which are assured to make all the pissed old sots cry over their pints.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Now I'm dying to hear the celtic punk cover of Unchained - that's a kick ass song.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    harpua likes this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't have a puppy yet, and sadly I don't think I'm getting the one I met. She was super sweet but also may shed, which I can't do because of the allergies :(

So alas, I will have to wait until February or March for the original puppy I reserved.

Chewgumma likes this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so my mother's got macular degeneration , bad in one eye , pisses her off 'cos she can hardly read anymore , anyway she was up the hospital going from one doc to another , all telling her what she already knew , she told them she can hardly read anymore so - they gave her a leaflet to read all about macular degeneration , it aint even large print .

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yuck. My grandpa has that and according to 23andMe there's a good chance I'll get it when I'm old. I just hope by then there's more they can do than give me a pamphlet I can't read.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Is she getting the injections? Injections in the eyeball don't sound like much fun, probably because they're not much fun, but they can really help with wet macular degeneration. If she has less advanced macular degeneration in the other eye she should be taking the AREDS II vitamins, like Bausch & Lomb's Preservision - available over the counter.

The anti-VEGF injections are the best available treatment right now. They can slow the progression of the disease and in some cases prevent further loss of central vision.

The main problem is that people often live longer than their own eyeballs now. It's definitely not the most robust part of the body.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    gezvader28 likes this.
  25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    My grandfather had macular degeneration, and so does my mother. It was too early for laser treatments for my grandfather (he essentially lost his sight in the early 1970s), but they did treat my mother in the mid-80s and stabilized her sight. There are far less dangerous options nowadays, although I wouldn't know the costs for any of them which would be incurred on your end of the pond... [face_plain]