main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~* New Board Features : FAQ and Requests *~

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    ~* New Board Features : FAQ and Requests *~

This thread is being created due to the large amounts of threads regarding new possible features on the JC.

This thread is intended for you to submit your ideas for new board features. But, please keep in mind the information below about the likelyhood of any additions to new features. :)

1) What is the chance of getting a new feature on the JC?
    Due to the fact that IGN owns the source code for these forums, JC administrators themselves cannot add features to the source code themselves. The only person who has the ability to do so is zerosleep. Unfortunately, he does not work for IGN anymore as a full time programmer. He only does work on a consultant basis -- whenever IGN feels that they need a new feature, they call upon zerosleep and he adds them. But this has only happened a few times (such as the addition of titles and sticky threads this past summer). IGN is very sparing about what features are added and what aren't -- while JC administrators may suggest features, there is absolutely no guarantee that they will be added. Therefore, the only real power JC administrators and members alike have at having a feature added to the JC is suggesting a feature to them. Again, no JC administrator has access to edit the board coding, so the JC administration cannot add whatever features they would like.
    2) I've been to IGN and the board layout is different. What's going on?
    To put it simply, JC adminsitrators have the ability to change the HTML that surrounds the forums. Whereas the IGN Boards have no banners surrounding there forums, we do. They also have a different advertisement system. As for the contact a moderator bars and the link bars on top of certain forums on the JC, those are added through header coding. Only an administrator can do those, and for JC forums, the moderator(s) of those forums can request things to be taken away and added to them. If you have questions about the contact links for FanForce, see this thread.
    3) I have an idea for a new feature.. what do I do?
    Well, that's what this thread is for. Submit your ideas here. Remember, though, the likelyhood of any additions happening is slim to none. This is just due to the fact that the JC administrators must send all requests to IGN (and from there, additions are only made if IGN feels they're needed).

If you have any other questions regarding this, feel free to post them here. :)

Thanks to DarthSapient for giving me permission to post this here. :)

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Quite sexy. And so true.

3. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I want a 'Smart-ass reply' button, to lower the amount of time it takes to think up posts.

This is similer to the 'Make it look cool' plug-in for various video editing softwares available in the near future...

?Eaglet

4. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    yay! finally a copy/paste response. [face_mischief]

5. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    A really nice feature I'd like the JC to have is the ability ti display your own avatar.

6. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    RMCOY, time for you to return to class. :D :D :D

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "A really nice feature I'd like the JC to have is the ability ti display your own avatar."

In my opinion, that would be a bad idea, for multiple reasons...
    First off, if there is something you would like to see as an avatar, you can always post it in the Custom Icons Submission thread. Second, there is a high probability that a troll would abuse the system. It would add another level to what we already have to moderate. And, unless they were uploaded locally (a problem in itself), they would be leeching bandwidth off of another site.

8. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Nice job my friend. :)

But with these questions answered, what about "The meaning of life." If you can answer that, then I'll be content. ;)

9. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    My :_| smiley hasnt been showing up lately. I think he's sick. :(

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    It shows up for me. Try clearing out your temporary internet files, or clicking here and refreshing the page.

11. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I always wanted a "user rating" system on profiles.

Just a paragraph like box in which other members can say whether this poster is good or bad. A 5 star system could be added, too.
    Of course, socks and inappropriate material being posted is always a possibility.

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I'd request that you dump IGN and go with another company. ;)

AnandTech has nice forums based on ColdFusion:
    http://forums.anandtech.com

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I would think that if the JC were to move again (heh.. what are the odds of that?), they'd probably go to a server where their SQL database could be transfered easily. But then again, that's assuming IGN gives the JC admins the SQL database info, etc..

Too many ifs. :p

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    AnandTech has nice forums based on ColdFusion:

Heck... Jive does everything with servlets and standard-DB interconnects... :p

15. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Might I enquire as to why there isn't a 'delete' command for PMs? (if anyone knows that is) - I would have thought that it would be a simple enough feature to add, that's all. :)

LittleJedi

16. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    How about tightening the poll system to store the Userid of the individual votes? That way a Mod could see if there has been any for of "illegal sock usage".

UKS

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This would have helped me alot in the Election Game. But as with so many other things, that's an IGN programming issue. It's something I believe we cannot touch. If we could, it would be helpful in some circumstances. But I can imagine in some cases it would not be helpful as folks appreciate the anonymity it provides.

18. V8ER_H8ER

V8ER_H8ER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 1998
    I'm not quite sure if suggesting this again here will do any good. However RMCOY says this is what the thread is for.

My Suggestion

19. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    We have a [face_devil] - I want a O:). ;) I noticed that the boards have some of Yahoo Instant Messenger's faces - and they have an angelic face!

:p

20. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    [image=http://xie.reigm.com/zerosleep.jpg]

21. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Interesting answers. Thank you. :)

22. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Ok, I've been gathering ideas for a while, and heres what I've come up with:

23. As posted in a recent thread, I would like the thread view page to be more like:

Topic [Page 1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27]

That would be easier.

24. The ability to delete PMs

25. The ability to send PMs to more than one person.

Now, I know this would cause controversy, (i.e. the election game) but it would come in pretty handy for stuff like the TPM trivia game where I have to PM the whole team to inform them the question has been posted.

It could also be used for forums with multiple moderators when there's a problem that needs to be taken care of, so whoever is online or can to it first can solve it.

26. Not really something IGN has to do, but a 20 or 30 minute edit time everywhere. I had Master Salty suggest it to the AC, but it didn't really go anywhere.

27. I was going to suggest a "Send PM Link," but that's already been taken care of.

28. A "My threads index." This would be similar to "magage my poles," but it would have links to all the threads you've started. In forums like the JCC, it's hard to find old threads you've created if you want to up them or anything.

29. A larger character limit for your profile, or one that doesn't include mark-ups in the count.

30. A "select your time zone" clock. I've seen it in a few places, no reason IGN couldn't do it here. (Not a big deal, but still...)

31. Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. :)

32. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I'm just curious, but have any of the recommendations you guys have made ever been implemented by IGN?

33. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    lol @ xie's image, I love it

Building on ousley's point --
    How about next to the "View Latest Posts" in people's profiles we can get "View Latest Threads"? Same principle, but that way we can view whatever threads ANYONE's made.

Rick McCallum loves you!

34. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Very good idea, Adam. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Say you, for example, started a thread that I posted in a few times, and it went way down. One day, I happen to remember it, and all I have to do is find it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.