main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Materials (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Episode IX - SEE WARNING ON PAGE 41

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jan 4, 2018.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There's also the fact that the film itself shows that the Battle of Exegol isn't so much a climax of the war but more the start of a true galactic uprising as we see at the end numerous First Order Star Destroyers going down in flames across the galaxy. It's possible that this story takes place in that window between the celebration back on Ajan Kloss and when Rey travels to Tatooine.

TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, right, it's really dumb.... but again, "it's minor enough that not enough people in the Story Group or LFL as a whole even pay attention to it and point out to the writers, etc. that that's really not the best way to go (either with the story itself or just their descriptive blurb)."

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Following up "This is THE END. SERIOUSLY. THE SAGA ENDS" and immediately... like, immediately... announcing that everyone you care about are not coming back but the bad guys have another go at galactic domination is kinda hard to handwave away. LFL don't pay me enough for the PR effort required on my part to polish this. :p

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's what I mean... I don't think this reflects the actual canon story as officially envisioned by Disney, LFL, KK, etc. I don't think this is what they would say happens after TROS, if asked. So I think what it does reflect poorly on is their attention to managing the things being said in blurbs about books. If it's just a blurb, that's bad enough, but if it's the story direction they actually intended to go (in those admittedly minor books) then it shows that those writers were not paying attention to the story and LFL and the Story Group were not managing their activities well at all.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

godisawesome , afrojedi and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    An eternal struggle!

Light vs dark!

Buy the books, comics, games - wait, no games EA axed them all - films - consume, consume, consume.

And then.... From the depths, a molecule of Darth Sidious survived and unleashes nanite Death Stars across thew galaxy. In a final act of revenge, the nanite Death Stars explode the SW universe - why? Because he can.

And after that big bang? Our galaxy started. Cue creation myth.

sian1965 and PendragonM like this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Maybe, just maybe, this is the book where we'll find out more about Lucas' ideas for the ST. Maybe. Probably not. But maybe.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Yeah, I think they need to move past this area of story-telling. 9 movies and all of their supporting material is enough.

Time for something new; maybe where planetary systems become more isolated in their approach (rather than joining back into a galactic Republic and Senate) and the conflicts occur between two opposing systems and Rey's growing band of new Jedi act as a mobile peacekeeping force or the like. Or to keep things broad, an invading species from another galaxy if you want to keep a sense of familiarity with the Legends EU. Or maybe the criminal (crimelords/underworld) gain control of the galaxy in the wake of no government and the stories become about defeating them and wrestling back control of the galaxy from its criminal underworld.

There are so many directions that the story can go in now that would make things fresh and vibrant and unfamiliar.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Good old Pablo, he and Filoni are one of the best people working in LF and was close to George.

11. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I really enjoyed the Dooku Jedi Lost novel; in particular the connectivity tissue that it has with other parts of the overall narrative.

Apart from the obvious where Dooku will be a Sith Lord by AOTC ( though his journey to darkness is interesting and not what I expected), there is the Sifo Dyas connection where Sifo saw his best friend's future at the very end when 2 futures becoming one; which would then lead into Sifo Dyas making contact with Kamino for a future clone army.

Then there is the Jedi Council and its inability to act with Senate approval (the Order being too heavily influenced by political circumstances) and its own dogmatic rules and approachs. This connects to Luke's speech to Rey in TLJ when he talks about how the Council allowed Palpatine to rise to absolute power under their noses. The same Jedi Council issues can be seen in the PT.

Then there are some describing of stuff from the High Republic era that could potentially link up with novel; which maybe the case because the author is involved with Project Luminous.

And there were a few other things too that I cant remember at this moment.

So this Dooku novel is the very definition of interconnected stories linked with connective tissue. Anyone can put a random character in somewhere and say " Hey,.they were in such and such.

That to me is not intetconnected. Interconnection is what this novel achieved in linking in with others whilst carrying its own story.

I hope this is what we get with this new era of storytelling thats the High Republic. Dont just focus on a single character at a time, but rather have the narratives overlap in some way and link in with others.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    From the upcoming novelization:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    KyleKartan and milena like this.
  13. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I think the ongoing battle is just about finishing off the First Order remnants, who are essentially leaderless and will be mopped up like the Imperial remnant was at Jakku.

It doesn't sound like a high-stakes narrative but it could still be interesting to some people. The old EU was full of stuff about Imperial remnant forces, and of course the First Order is a new canon version of that.

14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't see the point of Galaxy of Adventures. Just show the kids the movies instead, and make the cartoons something new.

17. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I can see it being a more exciting format for the older films, as they may seem too dated for younger viewers. But I agree that the ones focused purely on the ST should've just been a Clone Wars-style show.

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    indydefense likes this.
  19. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I love the GoA visual style. I’d love a whole animated series in that style :)

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-novelization-leia-excerpt

https://www.starwars.com/news/rae-carson-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-interview

StarWars.com: Describe the moment when you learned that you would be joining the pantheon of notable authors who have been chosen to write the novelization of a Star Wars film.

Rae Carson: Yeah, so, I don’t remember that too well? My brain went completely blank for a moment. I do remember calling my husband over to read and re-read the email, just to make sure I wasn’t imagining that something so incredible was happening to me.

StarWars.com: How did your previous experience as a writer prepare you for this project?

Rae Carson: Writing for Star Wars often means writing to incredibly tight deadlines. I’m happy to say that all those years of procrastinating on other projects — and then writing really fast to hit my deadline — really paid off for me. Hat tip to Procrastination.

I’m only half-joking. I had to be very disciplined while writing The Rise of Skywalker. I didn’t touch my Xbox for three months — a personal record. But I found that I had the tools and experience I needed to draft clean prose under duress.

StarWars.com: How did previous Star Wars novelizations affect your work?

Rae Carson: Two novelizations were especially influential. Jason Fry’s work on The Last Jedi was outstanding. He was able to bring out wonderful character moments that enhanced the film beautifully, and I knew I wanted to follow his lead.

The other novelization that influenced me was James Kahn’s Return of the Jedi. It’s a fast, efficient morsel of a book (only 194 pages!), but it still feels epic and detailed, and — forgive me for being a writer-nerd — it’s a marvel of scene breaking and paragraphing perfection. That book reads as smooth as butter, and I wanted to emulate that kind of pacing.

I was also deeply inspired by Return of the Jedi in a personal way. It was the first novelization I ever read, and I read it because my family couldn’t afford to go to the movie theater, but I had to know how the story would end. Tiny 10-year-old Rae, living in a run-down apartment and dressed in her Princess Leia costume (an old bed sheet) while reading Return of the Jedi would not believe you if you told her she’d write her own Skywalker saga novelization one day. Whenever things got hard because I was exhausted, or my neck hurt from writing all day, I would remember Tiny Rae and find the energy and gratitude I needed to keep going.

StarWars.com: When it comes to the Star Wars galaxy, what are some of the key themes and ideas you knew were imperative to include, even before you saw the script?

Rae Carson: One thing I was 100 percent sure about even before reading the script was that I would pitch more Leia content. We’ll all miss Carrie Fisher forever, and we know the filmmakers would have done more with her if they could have. The team was incredibly supportive of my desire to expand Leia’s screen time, especially her final moments. I hope we gave her a noble and memorable sendoff, and that readers will have a little extra time to say goodbye.

StarWars.com: You capture the nuance of these characters and what makes them tick so beautifully. What is the process like, since you are tasked with completing your draft before the movie has come out?

Rae Carson: Thank you! I read the script, and I met with some folks at Lucasfilm and asked them approximately a thousand questions. Michael Kogge, who wrote the junior novelization, was also there, and we got to share notes and throw ideas back and forth. In short, with the help of a whole team of brilliant, creative professionals in my court, I was able to wrap my head around the characters and their motivations even without seeing the film.

StarWars.com: Let’s talk about the novel. More specifically, about Rey and General Leia’s relationship as Master and apprentice. At the beginning of the book, we are privy to Rey’s internal monologue during her training. Why does she still feel like she has to prove herself, and why is Leia the perfect mentor for her?

Rae Carson: This is one of my favorite things about Rey’s character, that she can find so much acceptance and belong with the Resistance, but still feel obligated to do more, to keep improving, to always get better.

Leia is the perfect teacher for her because she knows exactly what it’s like to have an unexpected awakening into power. Also, she’s still hurting over what happened to Ben, while Rey is desperate for a mentor who can help her make sense of everything she’s experiencing. These two women finding each other is a gift to each of them.

StarWars.com: What can she learn from Leia that may not have been possible with Luke on Ahch-To?

Rae Carson: From the moment she appeared in A New Hope, Leia has been portrayed as a deeply pragmatic character. Things going poorly? No worries, she’ll just grab a blaster and attack the problem herself. As the original trilogy progresses, you begin to see that Leia is in equal measure a deeply compassionate person. I think these qualities together are what make her such an effective leader, and with the stakes so high at the beginning of The Rise of Skywalker, and the future role of the Jedi very much in question, that’s the kind of leadership and well-roundedness they need to find a way forward.

StarWars.com: Now to the other side of the coin: Kylo Ren. One of the great things about your novel is how you explore Kylo’s psyche. What makes him such a fascinating villain, and how hard is it to write about a character who does not appear to have any redeeming qualities — he did murder his father, after all — but as an audience, we can sense there is more to him than what we have seen so far?

Rae Carson: I think a lot of credit goes to Adam Driver for portraying Kylo Ren in such a nuanced, layered way. Watching the films, you see and empathize with his profound conflict.

One of the great things about fiction, particularly science fiction and fantasy, is that we can take real-world issues and exaggerate them to tremendous effect. Kylo Ren is a radicalized youth, and like radicalized youth in our world, he makes destructive decisions. But of course, everything is magnified times a thousand because he’s radicalized through the Force — by the most powerful dark Force users in the galaxy. Very few of us could withstand that kind of influence.

StarWars.com: The great thing about a film adaptation is that you have more of an opportunity to go deeper into the characters, scenes, and moments. Which proved to be the most rewarding, as far as expanding upon specific moments?

Rae Carson: I loved having a few extra moments with Chewie and Lando. They’re the last of the old guard, so to speak, so I wanted to give readers time to reflect on them a little. I admit I got teary-eyed while writing an extra scene of Lando taking one last tour of the Millennium Falcon.

StarWars.com: Palpatine’s return has been elaborately dissected and discussed in The Rise of Skywalker. Can you help us understand who the character is in this film, and what his presence means in the Star Wars galaxy?

Rae Carson: Palpatine has been the villain since Episode I, and the first two trilogies were all about Skywalkers versus Palpatine. So I understand the filmmakers’ decision to bring him back for the final trilogy.

It’s easy to create a cardboard villain with immense power; we see it in fiction all the time. But Palpatine is also clever and conniving. He’s a master of intrigue, and he always has a plan. His rise to power as Emperor was as much due to political and social maneuvering as it was the Force. This is what makes him so compelling — and so difficult to defeat.

StarWars.com: For you, what do you think Luke Skywalker has learned since he became one with the Force?

Rae Carson: I’m not sure I understand the nature of sentience in the Force or how Force ghosts even work. No one really does, and that’s fine. It’s an afterlife of sorts, so it’s supposed to be mysterious. I suspect Luke’s knowledge and awareness is so different from a worldly perspective that there’s no way we can understand it.

StarWars.com: When writing these characters, you get to know them in very specific, nuanced ways. What did you learn about Poe Dameron, specifically what he has learned or struggled with since The Last Jedi?

Rae Carson: Poe is still struggling with the mistakes he made in The Last Jedi, and a little baffled at how easily General Leia and others in the Resistance have accepted and forgiven him. He’s come a long way, as illuminated in Rebecca Roanhorse’s absolutely wonderful novel Resistance Reborn. But his continuing journey in the final episode is learning to forgive himself. Something I found particularly admirable about Poe is how he extends that grace to others. For example, when Rey believes she might have caused Chewie’s death, he does not offer even a hint of condemnation but rather pushes on with the mission.

StarWars.com: Finn is more balanced and centered than he has ever been in The Rise of Skywalker. For you, how much of that is because of his relationship and proximity with his friends?

Rae Carson: Finn is one of my favorite characters and a great example of how there’s still room for nice guys in fiction. He certainly derives confidence and conviction from his relationships with his friends, but I think it’s also just him, and his incredible depth of character. Finn was raised by the First Order, and yet he was able to shake that conditioning and pursue a different path. That alone is enough to make him a hero. Of course, his friends help him take it a step further. It’s not enough to merely flee the First Order; Rey, Poe, Leia, and others show him the value and goodness of fighting back, and in the end, he’s right beside Poe, helping to give the motivational speech that launches the final Resistance assault.

StarWars.com: Rey and Ben Solo are a dyad in the Force: how do they help each other become their very best?

Rae Carson: We’ve all had that experience of knowing someone who makes us a better person. For me, it’s my husband and a few close author friends. Our perspectives sharpen each other, our reciprocal trust helps us be our truest selves together, and our deep mutual knowing provides comfort and peace. I imagine being part of a dyad is similar, except eleventy billion times more intense.

StarWars.com: Rey famously takes on the Skywalker moniker at the end of the story. What does this mean for her, and how does it enhance her journey since we met her on Jakku?

Rae Carson: When I was 18 years old, I took on the moniker of my stepfather to honor the bonds of love and trust between us. I imagine it was much the same for Rey, who wanted to honor her own chosen family.

I recognize that Rey’s decision proved controversial, and I look forward to discussing this with fans for years to come. But my current take is this: The entire Skywalker saga is about Palpatine turning or trying to turn Skywalkers to the dark side. He especially hopes that Rey will prove a worthy vessel for his own power and ambition and become the Skywalkers’ final downfall. But in spite of all his efforts over the course of three generations, he fails. Rey rejects everything about him and takes on the Skywalker mantle and legacy. In the end, it’s a Palpatine who turns to the light, thus handing the Skywalkers their ultimate victory.

KyleKartan, NileQT87 and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    That whole interview just made me wanna puke. I just read an excerpt of Hux's death from some Hux stans on Twitter, and she even managed to make that a hundred times worse. Hux's last thoughts were of how much he hated...Rey? Does he even know who Rey is? They never even came in contact across all media LFL has ever released, yet Hux's dying thoughts are of her? Not the years wasted in service of the First Order? Not of his **** father who legitimately abused him and raised him into this mess of an organization? Not of his dreams to ascend to the head of the galaxy?

His last thought was of a girl he'd never met and rarely saw. They made a pathetic death for a pathetic character even more pathetic.

This novelization may be the single worst piece of media ever released under Disney, and that's quite an extraordinary feat.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    So is this the RPG by West End that Sam Witwer talked about on Rule of 2?

So Batman is two and Pablo and Dave are one?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  24. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Because.... she's Rey. And she's awesome!

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's because she has "ruined everything" (by thwarting the First Order throughout the events of TFA and TLJ and early TROS, and then coming aboard the Steadfast, requiring him to act suspiciously and get executed for spying) but also, he has hope that Kylo Ren will still lose - if she can thwart the First Order, she can thwart Kylo.

So, he may hate Rey, but he hates Kylo more. His last thought is hope for Kylo's defeat at Rey's hands.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Emperor Ferus likes this.