main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Materials (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Episode IX - SEE WARNING ON PAGE 41

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jan 4, 2018.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This will be very interesting when viewed thru the eyes of the ST. Rey not calling Palpatine "Grandfather" in the trailer for example. Or Rey and Finn hugging and no marketed Rey/Kylo connection. In fact - Kylo was barely showed.

Trailers don't mean content but it is what they are trying to sell.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Ah, finally, Kylo Ren's glorious lego pores, in all their HD glory

Pass me the eye bleach

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/lego-star-wars-terrifying-tales-announce
    [​IMG]

4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/charles-soule-star-wars-25-first-look-interview/

ComicBook.com: How does it feel to have charted a majority of Marvel's Star Wars comics ranging from the Prequel to the Sequel eras?

Charles Soule: In a word... surprising. From the start, with the Lando miniseries I did with Alex Maleev and Paul Mounts back in 2015, my goal has always been to swing for the fences, and tell the best Star Wars stories I could – the kind of stories I'd want to experience as a Star Wars fan. When I was working on the arc for Star Wars that precedes #25, I remember thinking "Huh, I've done a lot of these... I wonder how many" – and then I ran the numbers and realized I was almost at 100 scripts under my belt in the galaxy far, far away. With a little shifting around of things, I figured I could make my 100th be STAR WARS #25, and that's how it worked out. That's well over two thousand pages of comics, in all main eras of current Star Wars (including the High Republic!), working with some of the very best artists in all of comics. I've gotten to write some huge moments for characters that have mattered to me – and many others – since I was a little kid, and the Star Wars work I've done for Marvel has led to some incredible opportunities. I still can't believe it all happened this way, and continues to... but I couldn't be happier. Here's a very true statement, which I think and hope comes across in my work: I love Star Wars.

Looking back, what stories have resonated with you the most, and is there a favorite character you've enjoyed writing over the others?

This is a tricky one, because there are moments in everything I've done that stay with me – little bits of dialogue I love, or things that the fans have connected with, or gorgeous art, or character beats I can't believe I got to author. All the Star Wars stories I've written have given me different things. I'm hugely proud of my run on DARTH VADER with Giuseppe Camuncoli, Daniele Orlandini and David Curiel, but RISE OF KYLO REN with Will Sliney was hugely special, as was EYE OF THE STORM with Guillermo Sanna, because I got to do a lot of work with a character I created for the High Republic, Marchion Ro. I care about them all pretty deeply (which, honestly, is a big part of my secret sauce when I'm writing these stories.)

You get the chance to reunite with many of your artistic collaborators for STAR WARS #25. Can you tease some of the adventures you have planned for our heroes and villains?

STAR WARS #25 includes four all-new stories set during the runs of prior series I worked on for Marvel – DARTH VADER, OBI-WAN & ANAKIN, POE DAMERON and RISE OF KYLO REN. These are all moments I would have put into those original comics, but either I didn't have space or hadn't thought of them. The original creative teams came back for most of those, which was really meaningful for me – and many of the variant covers for the issues include people I've worked with as well. The Vader and Obi-Wan stories have the same title, for reasons that will become clear. The Poe story is sad but hopefully kind of lovely, and the Kylo story is a beat I know must have happened. Can't wait to hear what the fans think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    So I'm watching TROS for the first time in a while.. Just pausing it for a moment because I'm wondering.. How do the TIEs that are chasing the Falcon lightspeed skip with the Falcon? Is this better explained in the TROS novelization, perhaps? I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on here before. Any ideas?

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The hyperspace tracking introduced in TLJ ( and foreshadowed in Rogue One ).

7. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    It's bizarre how well the TIEs manage to keep up, honestly

"Here's this thing I only just showed off I know how to do."
    "Hey he's doing a random cool thing he only just introduced but hey we're good at it too until the plot needs to progr-BOOM"

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Hyperspace tracking isn't applied consistently.

Like how did the Falcon even escape at the end of TLJ?

Watcherwithin likes this.
  9. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I really wanna see these moments after TLJ. Kylo's first embarassing day on the job, failing spectacularly in front of the FO (and stories which seem to have quickly spread throughout the galaxy).

I could imagine him giving his first speech to the FO troopers, mirroring Hux's in TFA, but instead, just feeling thousands of judgemental disapproving faces on those stormtrooper helmets.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    PendragonM likes this.
  10. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    Go full Animaniacs with it

"This is the uniform of a great man!"
    "Does he know you're wearing it?"

Kylo: Troops, you're about to go to war. Now, I won't lie to you: some of you may not return, and the rest of you definitely won't. Although war is a cruel and brutal affair, it is also dangerous and stupid. You may get squashed like a bug, smushed and oozing, or crunched like shredded wheat into dust, or ripped apart-!
    *troops scream in terror and desert*
    Hux: Maybe you should've lied just a little

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  12. Vinylshadow

Sep 3, 2017
    "Ben Solo greatly benefits from having all light-side allies on his defeated"

I...think they accidentally a word there

PendragonM likes this.
  13. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    “Galactic legend Rey”? Okay.

The word is “impossible.” JJ’s usual “take it to 15, not 11” nonsense. He should have never been given any franchise, let alone both Stars. he has zero sense of scale or selling anything remotely plausible. Also, the whole chase means nothing in the end.

14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    What does ... light sider attacker mean? So he's not a Jedi.

[​IMG]

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/lego-star-wars-summer-vacation-interview

The creative team behind the LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special and LEGO Star Wars Terrifying Tales had always hoped to make a trilogy of animated specials. And Director Ken Cunningham really hoped the third installment could fulfill his dreams of helming a rollicking musical.

With the release of LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation today on Disney+, the third special in the trifecta arrives complete with two musical numbers, including a new song sung by “Weird Al” Yankovic. Set in the time after Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the story follows Finn and his friends on a luxury vacation aboard the Halcyon starcruiser. But instead of relaxing with a good book or enjoying the pool, Finn spends his time fretting about the future, which spurs visits from three Force ghosts who impart crucial lessons upon the young Force-sensitive hero.

Like its predecessors, collaborators at the LEGO Group, Lucasfilm, and Atomic Cartoons looked to favorite films and pop culture touch points to inspire the brick-based storytelling. “We were wrapping up Terrifying Tales and started talking about summer vacations and road trips,” recalls David Shayne, the writer behind all three specials.

[​IMG]

“What are the iconic beach movies and summer movies?” producer Josh Rimes of Lucasfilm remembers asking the team. The first one that came to mind was the classic comedy National Lampoon’s Vacation. To translate the Griswold family road trip into the Star Wars galaxy, creators reimagined a very Solo family vacation. “It’s remembering our vacations and our road trips and what we went on and going, ‘What would that look like on the Millennium Falcon?’” says Shayne.

[​IMG]

“We knew we wanted to have a young family road trip story,” adds Lucasfilm creative executive Leland Chee. “So that one kind of had to be about Ben Solo and his parents.”

“Han is our Chevy Chase [who played Clark Griswold] and Leia is our Beverly D’Angelo [who played his wife, Ellen],” says Rimes. “And Ben is our Rusty.”

[​IMG]

Beach Blanket bricks

In development, creators also imparted a dash of musical comedy a la Annette Funicello’s Beach Blanket Bingo with a little Saturday Night Live thrown into the mix, courtesy of Carrie Fisher’s 1978 appearance on the variety show that included a skit featuring Princess Leia arriving on earth to join Funicello’s soiree. Cunningham has been pushing to do a musical since the start. “I’ve always wanted to do a full-on musical,” he admits. “Prior to being in animation, I was a professional dancer, so it’s kind of been a fantasy of mine to do a musical. And I got the opportunity here, which was great.”

For the main song, co-written by Shayne and composer Michael Kramer, the team got their first choice in casting “Weird Al” Yankovic, singing “Scarif Beach Party” and voicing the aptly-named character Vic Vankoh. It was a homecoming of sorts for Yankovic, who helped introduce a generation to the Kinks’ “Lola” with his Star Wars parody, “Yoda,” among other hits.

[​IMG]

The seed was planted when Chee remembered seeing “Weird Al” perform live at a 501st Legion party at Star Wars Celebration Orlando in 2017. “We know the connection between ‘Weird Al’ and Star Wars still runs deep. It was a great opportunity. To have the chance to get ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic in Star Wars? We’ve got to take that.”

The recording session was a memorable one. “When he sang it, it just took it to a whole other level,” Chee says. “It was like, ‘Oh my God, this guy, he really is an artist.’ You know him for the parodies, but musically he’s a genius.”

“If LEGO Star Wars is an entry point into Star Wars for kids, ‘Weird Al’ is a lot of kids’ entry into pop music,” adds Shayne. “They really are one in the same. I mean, it’s that same sort of ‘Here let’s have some fun and not take it too seriously.”

[​IMG]

Shayne and Kramer were prepared to take notes from the multiple Grammy Award-winning artist. Much to their surprise and delight, Yankovic listened to the scratch track and told them he wouldn’t change a thing. “And don’t think I won’t dine out on that for the rest of my career,” Shayne says with a laugh. “He was so game and belted out a bunch of different versions and harmonies, throwing out ideas and going high. The recording sessions are always fun, but that one will always stand-out as a forever memory. He was very generous, very kind and he killed it in the studio. It’s not something I’m ever going to forget.”

[​IMG]

“Gamorrean Girls”

The special’s other musical number, called “Gamorrean Girls,” sees the return of a LEGO Star Wars Freemaker Adventures favorite character, Lt. Valeria, voiced by Yvette Nicole Brown, and James Arnold Taylor reprising the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi. “We were just putting James Arnold Taylor through the wringer,” Shayne recalls, calling on the veteran voice actor to improvise Kenobi’s audience banter. “And it was so fun. We were just throwing out lines. That was a blast.”

[​IMG]

Cunningham rewatched Moulin Rouge and other Baz Luhrmann films to prep for the segment. Set inside Jabba’s Palace during a daring coaxium heist, the sequence also calls for some Mission: Impossible-style spy antics. “The crux of it, which was really difficult, was getting the back and forth between Valeria and Ben,” Cunningham says. “Just getting those looks and his response to read, that was the lynchpin for the whole thing.”

“That’s the really unique thing about that sequence: it’s not just a dance number. It’s actually a heist sequence,” adds Rimes. “We worked on that for a long time just to get the rhythm right. We talked a lot about heist and spy movies and, you know, to then marry that with the comedy of a dance number at Jabba’s Palace, I think it paid off.”

[​IMG]

Humor, heart, and hugs

Like the other LEGO specials, this one includes plenty of humor and heart. “We all remember getting out of school, experiencing summer with your family or at camp with friends, really formative moments,” Rimes says. “And sometimes, when you go back to school in the fall, you know, people have changed. You find new friends. There’s a bittersweet sort of core to real-life summer vacations that we were able to bring into the heart of this special….We are always asking ourselves, ‘How do we top ourselves? How do we not just retell the story of Rey from the Holiday Special or Poe from Terrifying Tales? How do we give this a unique spin for Finn, but also wrap it up and ask some real kind of probing thematic questions about having fun in the moment and enjoying your time with your family and friends, in a really sweet, approachable way?”

Cunningham’s favorite moment is a quiet scene between Han and Ben Solo toward the end of the Solo-Organa family vacation tale. Han gets to tell his son “I love you,” and Ben fittingly replies, “I know.” Then the two embrace in a hug. In a story that puts Ben Solo at the helm of his family’s beloved hunk of junk the Millennium Falcon, it’s a powerful piece of wish fulfillment for fans of the young Jedi. “I’ve looked at it so many times and it still gets me,” Cunningham says. “It really resonates for me and I’m super proud of that moment.”

[​IMG]

The team behind LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation clearly embraces some of the themes imbued in the final installment of their trilogy.

“It is about the journey, not necessarily the destination,” Shayne says, a sentiment echoed in Finn’s story told throughout the special, under the tutelage of the spirits of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker — who is quite displeased to be delivering his wisdom on a sandy beach — and Leia Organa. The stories touch upon Kenobi’s stay on Tatooine protecting Luke Skywalker, an era most-recently explored in the Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series, Anakin recalling a Scarif beach day Darth Vader experienced with Emperor Palpatine, and the Solo family vacation, with Omar Miller as Finn listening raptly as each tale unfolds. “We challenged Omar to deliver heart and emotion, and he totally got there,” says Shayne. “I mean, to get LEGO pieces genuinely choking you up is a kudos to the performances.

“You’ve created all these incredible memories that you will share for the rest of your life. From a personal aspect, honestly, that’s how I felt getting to work with this gang. For this whole crew, it’s a very intimate, incredibly special, really fun team. We’ve been doing this for several years, so Finn, in some ways, was speaking for us, I think.”

The LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation special is now streaming exclusively on Disney+.

2Cleva likes this.