main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Materials (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Episode IX - SEE WARNING ON PAGE 41

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jan 4, 2018.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Star Wars Roll Out, An Adorable New Series of Animated Shorts, Bounces to the Screen – Exclusive

StarWars.com speaks to director Hideo Itoyanagi and Lucasfilm’s James Waugh about the charming new digital series landing August 9.
    When Hideo Itoyanagi created an animated retelling of Star Wars: The Force Awakens for Japan, he gained a new fan: Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy.

In Itoyanagi’s short, he depicted the heroes and villains of The Force Awakens as BB units, i.e., in the shape of the beloved ball-droid BB-8. It was charming, adorable, and wholly original, and Kennedy wanted more.

“I met her in December 2017 when she came to Japan to promote Episode VIII,” Itoyanagi tells StarWars.com. “On the spot she asked me, ‘Will you create original shorts using your [stylized take on Star Wars] characters?’ I was so surprised.”

And with that, a new series of animated shorts was born.

StarWars.com is excited to announce Star Wars Roll Out, coming to StarWarsKids.com and YouTube.com/StarWarsKids beginning Friday, August 9. Created by Lucasfilm and Itoyanagi, the shorts star fan-favorite heroes of a galaxy far, far away in a bright and vibrant style. You can watch the series trailer below.

“As Star Wars evolves with each passing year, it’s important for us to find new, light-hearted, and kid-friendly expressions of the franchise that still carry the heart, soul, and adventure of its original form,” says James Waugh, Lucasfilm’s vice president, franchise content and strategy. “One of the wonderful things about our Star Wars Kids channel is that we can experiment to see how far we can stretch the franchise to a new expression, while still being totally rooted, recognizable, and authentic.”

Kennedy has made it a point to seek out and collaborate with new talent wherever they may be in the world. Roll Out is a direct result of that mindset. “Exploring unexpected, fresh directions with new voices helps to broaden our portfolio of talent,” Waugh adds. “Lucasfilm is a creative-first house and always will be. To find those unique creators that can partner with us on many projects to come is something that is critical for the future of the franchise.”

Indeed, Itoyanagi’s take is reflective of his own gifts and talent, while still feeling like Star Wars. The Star Wars Roll Out shorts blend humor, scares, action, and some surprising oddness — all of which are part of Star Wars — while presented in a cute, expressive tone and aesthetic that could only come from Itoyanagi.

“I wanted to come up with something never [before] seen in Star Wars animation,” Itoyanagi says. “I wanted to give everything a totally different look. Given that the characters are caricatured, I decided to make the backgrounds simple, with paper-cutout silhouettes put on top of each other like something you might see in a picture book. The camera motion is quite flat and might remind you of old video games. I wanted to take a different route from 3D animation and recent video games.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the conceit of presenting all the characters in the form of BB units opens the door for unique visual opportunities. Characters don’t just roll, they bounce. Backgrounds can tilt, impacting the action. “Spinning” can also mean digging their way out of a problem. In other words, the animation style affords its own rules, which are often bent to very fun results.

“This is all Hideo Itoyanagi,” Waugh says. “It was inherent in the work he did that got our attention. But as we developed it further, it began to inform the narrative choices of the shorts as well, along with the sets and humor. We kept asking ourselves, ‘How could the sets and design impact the storytelling and its stakes, and comedy?’” Hideo responded by setting up worlds that behaved almost like an arcade pinball game. “In a world where everything rolls, the physics are different, the solutions to problems are different, the challenges are, too,” Waugh says. “Pretty soon the design aesthetic was part of every decision Hideo was making.”

In Star Wars Roll Out, our heroes often find themselves — in grand Star Wars and Lucasfilm tradition — facing a series of cascading problems. In some early episodes that StarWars.com was privileged to see, Chewbacca must deal with some minor porg annoyances before a much bigger threat arrives. He has to calm his famous Wookiee temper and solve the issue — while coming to an understanding with his feathered friends, and learning from them. In the end, it’s sometimes strange, yet completely delightful storytelling, loaded with heart.

“Hideo quite liked the idea that all of these shorts would be anchored by a theme — by a lesson — that would be subtly expressed, even with all the wackiness of the episode and fun stylization,” Waugh notes.

“Since the look and actions and of the characters are cute, I made sure the stories are heartwarming,” Itoyanagi says. “While problems do occur, I made sure the characters do not try to solve them with anger or hatred.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While Star Wars Roll Out definitely comes from Itoyanagi’s heart, the end result stems from a true collaboration with Lucasfilm. The Lucasfilm Story Group worked closely with the animator, offering guidance when needed and also acting as a sounding board. “It was really fun,” Itoyanagi says. “They responded to my ideas and work with all kinds of feedback and advice. New ideas sprouted from such exchanges.”

“We were involved from start to finish to support Hideo” says Waugh, “helping him take his vision and translate that to a webisode series, aid in story and series development, and, like all good dramaturges, be a sounding board to assist the talent in finding the best way to communicate their ideas in the ideal form for the medium. It was a lot of fun and we were always impressed with how Hideo creatively approached the work.”

For his part, Itoyanagi more than enjoyed the experience.

“Having people who are willing to think about your project and share with you their candid thoughts is something to be very, very happy about,” he says. “Once I finish creating all the episodes of Roll Out, I will no longer be working with them. I can see myself feeling lonely already.”

Still, Waugh is quick to give credit where it’s due.

“At the end of the day,” Waugh says, “this is Hideo’s vision and his storytelling.”

While he’s not sure how he was introduced to Star Wars, Itoyanagi has been a fan for as long as he can remember. As a child, he loved the Ewoks and R2-D2, and credits their cuteness with, at least on a subconscious level, influencing his art style. Now a Star Wars creator himself, how does he feel about possibly introducing even one child to a galaxy far, far away with Star Wars Roll Out?

“That would be such an honor,” he says. “I feel so grateful from the bottom of my heart for been given this opportunity. Star Wars is loved by so many people. I would be so delighted if people get to [know] Star Wars through Roll Out.”

Star Wars Roll Out premieres on StarWarsKids.com and YouTube.com/StarWarsKids on August 9.

2. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I want to know if secrets of the Jedi will cover any new Jedi besides the PT. I want some of the Jedi from the Dooku audio book and the Qui Gon book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

DannyD and Neesh like this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    From the official synopsis: “Kaz and the team continue to fight against the threat of the First Order, culminating in an epic series finale. The story picks up after a harrowing escape from the First Order, as the Colossus and all its residents find themselves lost in space, pursued by Agent Tierny and Commander Pyre…meanwhile, Tam grapples with her future and where her true allegiance lies, with her friends or the First Order. The thrilling final season will showcase how the unlikeliest of heroes can help spark hope across the galaxy.

good the show was not very fun or great, and the characters could have been much better. Too sitcomy and SW is more fun when you really explore the Galaxy too. I mean there are no limits in Animation like there is live action......

6. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I've not seen any Resistance yet but the second season trailer looks good. Thanks for sharing.

7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-galaxys-edge-black-spire-exclusive-excerpt
    Leia Has a Mission for Vi Moradi in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Black Spire – Exclusive Excerpt

Plus, get a sneak peek at an intricate Black Spire Outpost map from the Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition!
    For Resistance spy Vi Moradi, her next mission is unexpected — in just about every way.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson, arriving August 27, will finally tell the story of the Resistance’s arrival at Batuu, setting of the new Star Wars-themed land at Disney Parks. But it also looks to be a tale of personal bravery for Vi, who still feels the aftershocks of her experience as a First Order prisoner in Dawson’s Phasma. In this exclusive excerpt from Black Spire, General Leia Organa briefs Vi on her mission, which is essential for the survival of the Resistance. But she won’t be alone…

Check out the excerpt below, plus a first look at a detailed, beautifully-illustrated map of Black Spire Outpost — exclusive to the Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Black Spire!

[​IMG]

Every time Vi was in the presence of General Organa, once Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, it felt a little like going home. Leia had a calm, steady presence, motherly but tough as nails, and no matter how dire things got, the older woman had a way of looking at each member of the Resistance as if they were the hero that could turn the tide against their enemy, the dreaded First Order that had risen from the Empire’s ashes. Leia returned Vi’s smile, her eyes twinkling.

“I have a mission for you,” Leia said, her attention flicking from various holos to Vi and back. Leia’s mouth fell into a familiar grim line, which told Vi she wasn’t necessarily going to like her assignment. That was fine—she didn’t particularly like how her last mission had gone, either. It wasn’t her job to like it.

“As you know, we’re massively outgunned. We don’t know what the First Order is planning, but it’s something big. Some kind of attack. I’m leaving immediately for Takodana to collect some valuable intel, so I wanted to meet with you personally and underline how very important your work will be.”

“If you brought me in just to tell me it’s important, it sounds like it might not be that important. I’m ready to work, General. Major Kalonia signed off. I’m back in top form.”

Leia’s gaze was unwavering. “I wouldn’t blame you if you just disappeared, after what happened to you on the Absolution. You were captured by the enemy, Vi. Tortured. Beaten. Shocked. Injured. I’ve read your med charts and your reports. Downplay it all you like, but an experience like that changes people. I should know.”

Vi shook her head. “But I’m still me. So put me on a Star Destroyer and let me—”

“No.” Leia cut her off, almost apologetic, and Vi’s mouth snapped shut. “This assignment might sound like a vacation, but I assure you, it’s of vast strategic importance. If you’re ready.”

Vi shifted on the crate, her back aching. Leia was right—she’d taken a beating on her last assignment, and although most of her wounds had healed, her body wasn’t getting any younger. Leia had sent her to a forgotten planet called Parnassos to gather intel on the First Order’s Captain Phasma, which was challenging enough. But on her way home, Vi had been captured by a different First Order officer, Captain Cardinal.

Instead of interrogating her through official channels or turning her over to Kylo Ren or General Hux, Cardinal had secretly taken her to a dank chamber in the ship’s lower levels and tortured her for the information she’d collected on his rival in the First Order, Captain Phasma. In the end, Vi had managed to manipulate him into letting her go, and Cardinal had gone out to face Phasma in combat. Vi made it out of the enemy ship and back to the fleet, and for the last few weeks she’d struggled to process all that had happened to her and heal in body and mind. But despite what she’d told Kalonia and now Leia, was she really ready to go back to work?

Well, was anyone ever ready to move on from trauma?

It would never leave her, but she couldn’t stay still any longer. It wasn’t in her nature.

“I’m ready,” she told Leia, putting the full force of conviction in her words.

“Good.” Leia’s smile returned. “Should the First Order succeed in their attack, or should they find us here on D’Qar, we need two things most of all: allies and places to hide. So I’m looking for suggestions on a place so out of the way that the First Order would never even think of it, a place where we could set up camp and put down roots. Specifically, we need an inhabited planet with an active port and resources, but not anything big, not anything the First Order would find advantageous.”

“Castilon isn’t safe anymore,” Vi thought out loud. “Not Pantora. Nowhere in the Core or Mid Rim, or any place where we’ve had a base before. Definitely not Parnassos.”

“Definitely not. Think, Magpie.”

Vi raised an eyebrow; Leia was not in a patient mood. “Batuu, maybe? I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never been there. It’s out on the edge of Wild Space. The main settlement is called Black Spire Outpost. It’s rough. Primitive. Seedy. Exciting. Smugglers consider it a good place to hide or hop a ship that can’t be tracked.”

At that, the general nodded. “I knew I could count on you. Batuu is perfect.” She chuckled. “Han told me all about it.”

Leaning forward, Vi gave her a suspicious look. “That can’t be the only reason you called me in here—just to ask me a question. You have strategists for that.”

“But I don’t need strategists.” Leia likewise leaned forward. “I need you, Magpie. I trust you. And what I need you to do is go to Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, establish an outpost for the Resistance, and collect as much support as possible among the locals and visitors. We need bodies. We need friends. We need skills. We need ships and food and fuel. We need eyes and ears on the ground. We need a place we can go if everything falls apart, a place so far off the map that the First Order has forgotten it even exists. To them, Batuu will seem strategically useless. But to us, it’s another spark of hope. I need you to cultivate that spark, to keep the fire burning.”

Vi leaned back, letting her head fall to the side. “So why do I feel like you’re promoting me out of harm’s way? Protecting me? Maybe even coddling me?” She held Leia’s gaze, never an easy task. “Use me, General. I have skills no one else has. I’m your best spy. So why are you sending me to what’s basically nowhere?”

“Because nowhere is what might save us. You’re not the only valuable person being sent out to nowhere.” Leia gave her a significant look, blew out a sigh, and took on an air of urgency, as if Vi had already been excused. “That’s your assignment. Take it or leave it. I’m needed on Takodana immediately. They’re holding the ship for me, and I’m out of time to convince you. The great thing about the Resistance is that you always retain free will. I hope you’ll trust me when I tell you that your work on Batuu is part of a larger plan. So do you trust me, Magpie?”

The general’s eyebrows went up, her graying hair in a perfect crown. Yes, Vi did trust her. And Vi wasn’t going to walk away, even though she knew it was always an option.

“I trust you, General,” she finally said.

Leia nodded. “Good. Dismissed. Report to the hangar tomorrow morning. Lieutenant Connix will provide further details and a manifest of your cargo. You’ll be assigned a droid to help with the heavy lifting and logistics. We’re giving you the materials, and we need you to scout the ideal site, connect with the local population, recruit new bodies to join the cause, and establish communications so we can discuss next steps.”

Vi stood. “I’ll do my best, General.”

The smile she gave Leia was resigned. Yes, she would do her duty. In this case, Vi didn’t think she would like it, but she was a soldier, and she would do whatever it took to resist the First Order and keep the galaxy safe.

But as Vi headed for the door, the general said, “Oh, and Magpie? One more thing.”

Vi couldn’t help chuckling as she turned around. “Of course. There’s always one more thing, isn’t there?”

Leia stood, looking grim and regal and certain. Vi steeled herself for what she knew would be unwelcome news.

“I’m assigning you a partner for this mission, and again I need you to trust me.”

Vi leaned against the door and crossed her arms. “Uh-oh. That doesn’t bode well. You know I prefer to work alone. And if it was somebody I liked, you would’ve led with that.”

“Perceptive as ever.” Leia rolled her eyes as if to suggest Vi had caught her out. “Before you head for Batuu, I need you to make a quick stop on Cerea to pick up someone. Archex.”

“Who’s Archex?”

The general’s gaze went dark, serious. “The man you knew as Captain Cardinal has chosen to return to his childhood name.”

Cardinal.

Archex was Cardinal.

[​IMG]

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    the 2nd season looks better than the 1st but just as it gets more interesting the show is already ending.

feels like they are just connecting to the movies and moving on since IX comes out soon. Seems like they think interest won't be there after.

post TCW, all the animation shows seem shorter than the other.

9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i remember as a kid most cartoons i watched (namely on CN, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel) they barely ran for 65 episodes. I can probably count on one hand the number of series (besides the simpsons, South Park and family guy) that ran for over 100 episodes.

Regarding Season Two, I'm looking forward to the series finale. They better bring their "A" game aka Space battle galore.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    syndication, American Animation shows usually aim for 52-65 for that reason. Which was 2 26 episodes season or 4-5 13 episodes seasons.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My favorite TV show on Disney channel Gravity Falls had only 40 episodes and Two Seasons!

12. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    Does syndication even exist anymore? Not just for animation but in general? With the exception of the really big shows with long runs, sitcoms and dramas, not really.

With shows having an afterlife through streaming and home video reaching a “magic syndication number” is not as important anymore. In fact the budgets of shows tend to increase the longer they are in production. With animated shows a lot of the money is earned from toys and merchandise. It’s more profitable to end the show and create a new incarnation with new toys.

Anyone who follows Batman animated shows since the 90s can tell you that. At first they slightly retooled the shows in the same continuity with new designs. But now every few years there is a new reboot with new designs to sell new toys.

The benefit of Star Wars is they can tell new stories with different characters in the same overall universe. With cameos and guest appearance from characters we know from earlier movies or tv shows.

I doubt we will ever see a long run of a Star Wars series again. Animation or Live action.

Jedi Ben, cwustudent and Def Trooper like this.
  13. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Is Resistance season 2 past TLJ in the timeline?

14. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    No, it's around the 60-70% mark of TFA at the end of Season 1

15. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Kylo has healed scar and no mask on tho. ???

Edit: did my own research and the trailer on YouTube says it’s during the TLJ.

Darth Buzz likes this.
  16. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I was just wondering, will there be more novels and comics about the sequel trilogy characters after TROS comes out? So, sort of what they did for Legends?

17. RokurGepta

Oct 23, 2010
    I've wondered that as well, and it's hard to predict. Mostly because if they are planning a return of Daisy, John, and Oscar to those roles in a film, say, a decade or more from now, they wouldn't want to run into the same problem the sequel trilogy did, of having too much intervening EU material to have to either incorporate or disavow. So it seems to me they'll mostly steer clear of major events and characters post-TRoS.

18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I think they'll fill in Ben's Past/ the 30 years between ROFJ and TFA before they do any Post Tros stuff.

19. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Okay, but I'm not talking about in a film or a TV show. I'm talking about books and comics.

20. RokurGepta

Oct 23, 2010
    I know, I am too. I'm saying they will likely be very careful to tread in that post-TRoS era with major characters in books and comics, for fear of telling stories that will later be contradicted by a potential future film.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm guessing there will be, or should be anyway.

22. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    That season 2 trailer was bananas. Going to be really fun getting these characters out in the world.

23. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Breha died in ANH. Leia was not very young. The 'shared bond' is another woman.

[​IMG]

'Queen's Shadow' was released earlier this year:
    Sabé died when Leia was very young. Padme's handmaidens, like Cordé in AOTC, end badly.
    Maybe Sabé saved little Leia and Leia never saw her 'real mother' again. Padme and Anakin would have been grateful, I guess.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  25. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Ooh, Deadline. :cool: [face_dancing] That's about as convincing as it gets, bar Lucasfilm announcing it themselves.

Rad.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    starocean90 likes this.