main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New Canon Materials (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and the Anthology series - CAUTION: SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Django Fett, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Alan Dean Foster Jr.

3. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    He did pretty good with TFA.

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That's right, he did do The Foece Awakens.

5. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

And wrote the original SW sequel Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Alhazred likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And the original novelization of A New Hope (and Attack of the Clones if I remember correctly).

7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013

R.A. Salvatore did the AOTC novelization. Foster did write the (so tedious I couldn't finish it) prequel to that film--The Approaching Storm.

8. CloneWarBrent

CloneWarBrent Jedi Master

May 25, 2005
    This. If there is no novelization, I would be very disappointed. If there is one but it's written by Foster, I would be very disappointed. I find his writing style to be very tough to take.

Given the war/battle nature of the story, Zahn might be a good choice. I don't expect he'll write any more Star Wars though.

I also think Matthew Stover's ability to get into the heads of his characters and describe their motivations may be fitting for this story.

9. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    I think it will be someone outside the franchise, probably someone who is new and whose career is on the rise.

10. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Will anyone be reading Star Wars Catalyst prior to Rogue One. If so do you fell it will enhance or diminish your appreciation for Rogue One. Below is a synopsis of the book.

[​IMG]

War is tearing the galaxy apart. For years the Republic and theSeparatists have battled across the stars, each building more and more deadly technology in an attempt to win the war. As a member of Chancellor Palpatine's top secret Death Starproject, Orson Krennic is determined to develop asuperweapon before their enemies can. And an old friend of Krennic's, the brilliant scientist Galen Erso, could be the key.
    Galen's energy-focused research has captured the attention of both Krennic and his foes, making the scientist a crucial pawn in the galactic conflict. But after Krennic rescues Galen, hiswife, Lyra, and their young daughter, Jyn, from Separatistkidnappers, the Erso family is deeply in Krennic's debt. Krennic then offers Galen an extraordinary opportunity: to continue his scientific studies with every resource put utterly at his disposal. While Galen and Lyra believe that his energy research will be used purely in altruistic ways, Krennic has other plans that will finally make the Death Star a reality. Trapped in their benefactor's tightening grasp, the Ersos must untangle Krennic's web of deception to save themselves and the galaxy itself.

What do you think?

TX-20 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Wats a book??

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thread merged and title updated. This is now the thread to discuss all canon materials outside of the films and specifically how they may impact the Anthology series.

EHT likes this.
  13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I plan on getting Catalyst as soon as it comes out. Usually stuff like that doesn't really have much impact on how much I enjoy a film, though I do enjoy finding out more about the characters which seems to be the goal of this book.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope we get to find out what Palpatine's perspective is on the events of Rogue One and ANH. Maybe that will be another Luceno novel?

Grievpalpy75 likes this.
  15. weezer

May 16, 2001
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  17. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    cwustudent and Django Fett like this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [face_laugh]

19. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

SIAP from the Star Wars facebook page (so I guess it's canon?). Now that it's confirmed Starkiller base was a planet where the Empire got kyber crystals for the Death Star, any chance it shows up as the frozen planet (looks like where Galen Erso was being kept) in Rogue One? [​IMG]

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Another quiver for the Illum = Starkiller base theory.

I don't think it will have anything to do with R1 though. We've got a rain planet, Eadu, but nothing about that lines up with anything else to me.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I picked up the Barnes & Noble edition with double-sided pull-out poster. What's unusual is the faint electrical discharge surrounded by a purple aura that is in one of the darker sections of the Death Star. One side of the poster appears to be a still from the film, while the other side is a blueprint-style schematic of the image on the opposite side. One large section of the blueprint displays the cannon in green, and there's another section of the blueprint showing two geodesic orbs in green. The poster is folded in half in order to get it into the front of the book. When flipping back and forth, overlaying the blueprint side over the electrical discharge (or charge?), it maches up with the geodesic orbs.
    I found this in all copies on hand.

23. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Thats ALOT of the book. I know that a lot of fans really like Lucero's detailed writing, but it sounded more like a physics lesson that I didn't really understand.

24. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    I love James Luceno's other novels, they always add to the story in the movies however I just don't feel this is going to draw me into the R1 story. Whilst it seems to set up the key characters of R1 (The Erso's and Krennic) it looks like it doesn't deliver the story of the fledgling Rebel Alliance setting up base on Yavin IV, or expand on the characters Willard and Dodonna. In fact other than Saw Gerrera's 'Partisans' it seems to ignore the Rebellion that Bail and Mon Mothma were trying to build at that time.

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I haven't ready Catalyst
    but it seems like online people are saying it's Lyra Erso who's the force sensitive one.

if that's true than I got it right in my 1st guess.[face_dancing]

I know likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.