main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And now a whole bunch of people will be figuring out how to type an epsilon symbol. ;)

2. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Though I'm still disappointed Agumon isn't a part of the roster & thus, a wasted opportunity once again due to the ones making the game owning the rights to Digimon, I did enjoy what I saw. For starters, I really liked Zelda's new look, that Daisy is now an official character (Sorry Waluigi), certain final smashes being different this time around like Bowser's & Wario's & the fact that you can even eliminate assist trophies this time around. What really managed to surprise me, however, was how they managed to get EVERYONE back for this next installment in the franchise.

I have no doubt in my mind that had EA not been difficult with Nintendo like they have been, we could also be seeing Starkiller in this installment since Bandai-Namco, being the developers of this game like Smash on Wii U/3DS, were the developers behind Soul Calibur 4 of which Starkiller was a playable character alongside Darth Vader & Yoda. Alas, it wasn't meant to be since EA just can't help but remain a salty little female dog after being rightfully told off by Nintendo that they would not allow them to use Origin as their online service.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think any 3rd party characters would have a vastly reduced chance of appearing if they were licensed properties like Star Wars (think of the licensing hoops that making an amiibo for that character would entail). I also don't see a Pokemon rival/clone getting added. Especially when there are other fighting game, classic Nintendo, classic 3rd party, indie, etc characters they could go for instead.

If we assume there'll ultimately be an even number of player selections (not necessarily a guarantee), we have 68 so far and presumably a Random option, so 69 slots. 8x9=72, so that leaves 3 open slots under that theory. But as Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters, 3 more sounds reasonable to tease between now and release date, especially if at least one of them is a new Echo fighter. Maybe we'll get Bayo 3 and Protoman as a costume change option like the inklings/Koopalings/Villagers/etc.

I'm kinda hoping we get Ken as an Echo fighter- really play into that Ryu-always-faces-opponent-1-on-1 addition. And it would be rather sweet to get some MK or Tekken representation by a character, but MK is probably unlikely. One more new playable Pokemon wouldn't be a surprise, either (say, from Sun/Moon or Eevee for a Let's Go connection), even though there's already a ton of them in the game.

But, if there's only 3 more, I wouldn't expect more than 1 of them to be a third party character.

4. Ichor_Razor

Nov 6, 2004
    I've been thinking since last night that maybe Agumon is actually a DLC character & that the reason he hasn't been introduced yet is because they're waiting until next March or so to do it since that would mark the 20th anniversary of the Digimon anime & to celebrate it, why not have him as a playable character?

Also, would it really be that big of a problem to introduce Starkiller like you said? You mention licensing issues but would Star Wars really be that much different than other 3rd parties in spite of the fact that it is one of the most recognizable around?

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Even if Disney wanted to play ball with Nintendo (and I don't think they would given the market share) they would want a new/current character, not Starkiller.

But from a purely logistical standpoint, while I don't exactly know all the licensing details involved I suspect it's not a coincidence that every non-Nintendo guest character is a video game-original character from a Japanese company.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Too obscure. I've heard of Digimon but I've never heard of the character and can't recall actually ever seeing him before after I looked him up.

Now, that could just be my experience, but how many people would appreciate his inclusion over, say, Shovel Knight, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Ken (or any other notable Capcom fighter), Robotnik/Eggman (or any other notable Sega character), Scorpion (or any other notable MK character), Rayman (or another Ubi character like one of the Assassins), King K. Rool (or other 1st party characters like Dixie Kong, Birdo), etc?

With only 3 theoretical slots (and probably, again, only one going 3rd party at most; with the others going Echo or 1st-party), they're going to want maximum impact.

Like Ramza pointed out, if there was a SW character, Disney would be pushing a non-EU character like Vader, Maul, Fett, Kylo, Rey, Ahsoka, etc that would tie into a current film, recent TV series or product like Forces of Destiny. But Nintendo would want a character associated with gaming and all of the major ones are EU currently. There is no NU equivalent of Starkiller or Katarn yet- and the BF2 character isn't at a level where her inclusion would be worth the expense.

But I think the SW license would be much more problematic. Nintendo would have to negotiate with EA and Disney for the game content (not to mention potentially further if they ever did a "Smash Ultimate 2" in 10 years in order to reinclude the character on a new platform/in a new game), then deal with Hasbro over the amiibo, etc.

But I think it comes down to the gaming factor. And, again as Ramza pointed out, things would probably be easier with a Japanese-owned property as well (or, at the very least, a character owned by a company with a strong collaborative relationship with Nintendo- and not a rival property like Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh, etc).

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I really doubt Digimon would make an appearance. Maybe as an Assist trophy, but Digimon isn't as high profile as Cloud, Snake or Ryu. Not to mention the old Pokemon vs. Digimon thing, not when there are literally hundreds of other possible choices from Japan alone, much less western franchises.

Also they want to keep things a tiny bit kid-friendly. Not that Darth Vader is that scary, but he's a relative low priority and for very high cost, so probably not. Like Darth Vader and Yoda showed up in Soul Calibur years ago, but SC is quite a different fighting series. Smash is a lot more, how to put it, wacky and lighter.

With how many fighters are included, that's already more than enough content for years (even if much of it is from previous games). I kind of wish Megaman X would be playable, even as an echo of Megaman, but at least Megaman himself is present (unlike the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 snub), and I like the revamped Megaman Smash move. Now, the question is do I really the MM11 Amiibo and put it in Smash, hm.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm curious how they'll be handling outfits for the Mii fighters. There were so many notable character ones in Smash 4, like Protoman, X, Zero, Geno, KK Slider, Akira, Chrom, etc. Be a shame if they weren't brought back, since they kinda filled the void for certain characters in place of them actually being added to the roster/alt-costumes.

9. Ichor_Razor

Nov 6, 2004
    What about Sonic then? Yeah, his rivalry with Mario these days is lesser due to things like Sega no longer having their own home console & becoming 3rd-party developers but throughout the 90's & 2000's, such a thing existed & that didn't stop his inclusion into Brawl & subsequent releases. How would it be any different with the Digimon franchise?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sega developed a strong collaborative relationship with Nintendo across several games in the years prior to his inclusion in Smash, and Sonic was never considered a Mario clone. Sonic also has strong association with gaming as a mascot in general.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If any third party character deserves a shot at appearing in SSB, it should be characters from "Castlevania". Get Simon Belmont, Dracula and Alucard in there.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Rew likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Simon would be my dream pick, simply because it would finally allow me my Captain N match-up between him, Mega Man, Pit and Link and, as a stand-in, the Duck Hunt dog.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    So in a game with over sixty playable characters, how the hell is a newcomer such as myself supposed to find a main? [face_nail_biting]

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Very happy about Zelda's new look, Ganondorf's new Final Smash, and playable Ridley.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There are a few basic approaches:
    • Try Mario and figure out what you don’t like about him, adjust to different characters accordingly.
    • Pick someone you already like (as a character) and adjust as above.
    • Just go random for a while until you start to get a handle on what style you like, then drift towards that.
    • Go with Pichu and force yourself to become an expert in order to troll all challengers into complacency.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I second all of the above. Not to mention all 60+ will not be available at the start- you'll have a starting lineup to begin with and add/unlock characters as you play more. So that'll help narrow things down initially for your "not Mario" options to a couple heavy hitters like Bowser or more floaty characters like Peach or Kirby, etc and use them as the trunks you spread out from as you unlock others.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    There was a new Direct today and new characters introduced (the roster for this game is going to be insane, even by Smash standards!). I think Castlevania is new? Poor Luigi, although the idea of him in a Castlevania game sounds hilarious. And I never expected to see King K. Rool again, even in Smash. I thought he had been left behind in the original SNES Rare games (well, and DK64, but let's not bring that game up).

And a gigantic looking Limited edition for Europe has been announced. No North American announcement yet though. It'll include a Gamecube controller and adapter of course, but sure looks too big to only include those things.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Ramza likes this.
  18. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    2018 the year when quest gets everything he wants

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No freaking kidding! Simon monkeyfighting Belmont! THE CAPTAIN N SUPPORTING CAST BRAWL WILL BE A THING! AT LONG LAST!!!!

[​IMG]

They even gave Simon's mullet its own closeup! That Castlevania stage looks outstanding too. And the music! The one thing missing from the Netflix series is the damn music and they have 34 tracks! Amongst 800-900 tracks in total with a non-gameplay music mode!

[​IMG]

And all the new play modes sound amazing (the charged final smashes, the one that eliminates the previously played fighters, hazards off, etc), plus so many new assist trophies (Zero!!!) and Pokemon (creepy Mimikyu, the Aloha Exeguttor, etc).

And we get Chrom as an Echo Fighter, so the main three Awakening characters are all represented! An azure-haired brawl shall be a thing!

[​IMG]

Dark Samus moves pretty cool too- I love the texture work on her there. And K.Rool is a welcome villain roster addition i think that puts us at 11 regular/echo fighters plus the 7 Koopalings for 19 total so far...).

Pretty funny that the Ridley reveal trailer killed Mario and the Simon reveal trailer killed Luigi. I was afraid for DK there at the end...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Wow, did I call it or what. And I wasn't even trying to call it.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've never played a Castlevania game, maybe I should change that. I have Harmony of Dissonance lying around, though I guess Simon isn't the player character in that.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Simon is only playable, for the most part, in the first two NES games.

I've had a Castlevania 2-pack with Aria of Sorrow & Harmony of Dissponance in my GBA or DS GBA port since it came out, but only made some progress through the first of the two games on it. Still have the two DS games waiting for me to start them, heh. I might have to abandon that save file and just move on. Then again, I've never beaten any Castlevania game before so I probably shouldn't be so motivated to be a completist for those now, heh.

EDIT- So, what do we think is the green mystery mode? Could it actually be a story mode? For it to be such a prominent option on the main menu, it would seem likely. It's also pretty much the only remaining thing that fans have been demanding since Smash 4.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Simon is playable in "Harmony Of Dissonance". You need to use the Konami Code before the title screen comes up and you can play him in Boss Rush Mode. As to HOD, the main character is Simon's grandson, Juste. It takes place fifty years after "Simon's Quest". If you want to try play an earlier game, you can try and find the Classic NES version of the original "Castlevania". Otherwise, you'll have to settle for emulation, the Wii U Virtual Console or the NES and SNES Classics.

[​IMG]

Get to finishing those games. :p

Ramza and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I really want to but I suspect I'll give each a partial play just to get a taste of the differences between them. I've been wandering through Aria (I think? i might have chosen to play them in chrono order rather than the order they're on the cart in) forever and recall the last few playthroughs not really making much progress. It also had this kinda complicated spirit equiping RPG-like system that was kinda turning me off a little (though I'm unsure how much I utilized it).

Although, of course, this new trailer really makes me want to unrealistically marathon as many of the games as possible. But by time i get to them the new season will be on Netflix and my Castlemania will be satiated.

EDIT- the mystery Castleania character may have been figured out (for real)...
    (warning: language)