main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't understand how Castlemania can be "satiated" as if it's not a yearning void deep in the soul that demands ever more sustenance, leading the desperate to even try meddling around with those awful N64 entries just to get a fleeting trace of the high. But they just control so badly! Caught between the grim reality of post-Castlevania and the stark horror of the 3D entries the sufferer succumbs to a spiral of ever more goofy restricted AoS and SoN replays, periodically shot through with a hit of pure III.

... Or so I hear.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gah, you win.

[​IMG]

EDIT- And, clearly, in 12 years I've lost the ability to percieve the fine details of a Castlevania map at GBA/DS screen resolution, so we're definitely going to swap on over to the GCN GBA Player...

On the upside, I've figured out why I've been stuck in this one section for so long- trapped between two locked doors and in need of some kind of high jump or double jump. My quest continues... (or maybe not, if I don't find that item and/or a key, lol...)

EDIT 2- Ah, playing with a Wavebird on the TV is much better! Anyways, progress! Maybe! Found the Skull Cave so anything new is good. I’ll continue any further updates in the DS thread.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Nobody145 and Ramza like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not that difficult, really. While there are plenty to choose from, only a few are really necessary in order to advance through AOS. Flame Demon, Succubus and Giant Bat are most important when unlocking the true ending. Malphas, Hippogryph, Skula, Flying Armor, Headhunter, Kicker Skeleton and Undine are necessary for double jumps, slowing descent, going underwater, walking on water and increasing the odds of getting the top three demons.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/589456-castlevania-aria-of-sorrow/faqs/23271

Read that list to help you out, @The2ndQuest.

I had played through and beaten this game in April of last year.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Turns out it was HOD my save was in, but Aria will follow so I will keep that in mind.

EDIT-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Prime Jedi likes this.
  5. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Anyone hyped for the Nintendo Direct?

T-minus 20 minutes!

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Will be checking it out tonight after work but already saw the 2 new character announcements on my feeds.

7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Technically three. ;)

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Man, I just can't even process all that. The Spirits are kinda like custom equipment/abilities, trophies and challenge modes all wrapped up into one. Good lord, cataloging the contents of this game will be damn near impossible.

Me: GoKirbyGoKirbyGoKirbygogogogogogogoGoGoGoGOGOGOGOOOOO!!!

I always assumed that a Nintendo nativity scene would center around Mario. However, this holiday season, the World of Light reveal today has proven that it is, in fact, Kirby who is the true savior.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Prime Jedi likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New commercial for Smash:

Which youtubers have been having a ball adding other songs to, as it seems to track quite well. One of the best, IMo, has been...

...which goes surprisingly well with that. It may not top the Brawl/The Final Countdown videos from a decade ago but still very cool.

Prime Jedi likes this.
  10. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    World of Light looks like so much hype. I don't know if it will be as good as the Subspace Emissary, but it looks like a ton of work has been put into it.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The story probably won't be as in-depth as Subspace, but I think the gameplay will be better. The worldmap RPG elements linking/bridging the fights in WOL looks to be a better approach with Smash controls than the attempt at platforming levels in Subspace.

12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pains me I won’t be able to crack open into this opening weekend. Hopefully can nab a Switch in Feb or Mar. Gotta make sure I have my Celebration funds set first though.

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Quest just wants an excuse for why I keep whipping his ass up and down chi town during celebration. " I didn't have enough time to practice!"

Gonna be a repeat of brawl homie

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey, once i freed myself of the Mario vs Sonic conceit I seem to remember the fights going differently ;).

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Guess what I’m playing on the weekend? :D

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They revealed the first Challenger Pack character at the Game Awards last night:

Also, it seems the Timmy & Tommy amiibo will unlock the Timmy & Tommy items/spirits shop in the game without having to do so through World of Light.

(I guess the only way to out-ruthless Tom Nook is to literally sell people's souls)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, there's a pretty entertaining bug that causes Isabelle to spawn an assist trophy infinitely. Definitely check out the ones for Rathalos, Jeff, Waluigi & Pac ghosts...

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Labo VR support being added in next update, among other things (amiibo characters can also now be send on journies online):

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So evidently there's a new interview in which a Square Enix guy said they have no plans to put Sora in Smash. First off, I wonder how much of that is Square's decision since Disney are actually the ones who own the character. But also, if true... that's dumb. He should clearly be one of the DLC fighters, it would make so much sense.

I've played some Ultimate on my brother's Switch with him, but don't own it myself. If they had Sora, I'd probably buy it.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A couple weeks ago they did a mini Smash video with Sakurai detailing the Dragon Quest Hero DLC fighter and DQ-themed Mii Fighter costumes. But there's also notes about the changes in the 4.0 update (limited FS meters, Very Easy mode added to Adventure, betting in spectator mode for Spirits, online Tourny mode, etc).

I don't follow competitive Smash closely, but I have to assume Hero will be controversial with all the moves, random abilities and instakill options. Either that or he's intended to basically counter every other character in the game, lol.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, I think this is just a fun coincidence, but an amusing theory going around about Smash Fighterpass DLC:

1) Hero - Square-Enix
    2) Banjo & Kazooie - Microsoft
    3) Joker - Atlas
    4) Terry - SNK
    5) ??? - H ?

The only real H that comes to mind that is 3rd party would be Hudsonsoft- so Bonk or Bomberman would make sense. But i don't think it works since, technically, B & K should be an 'R' for Rare, plus Joker came out 1st, not 3rd.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like there’ll be a Smash stream at 8am EST, apparently Sakurai will explain who Terry is and show off his gameplay. Should be entertaining, given Sakurai’s arcade fighter background.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Terry Bogard is a man driven by a vengeful desire to kill not just one goose, but a whole flock of them. His brother is a sentient piece of cardboard that doubles as a weapon, hence his intimidating moniker: Andy."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Like, I know this is probably obvious and all, but holy crap Sakurai actually WRECKS at Smash. [face_hypnotized]

For context, as part of a demonstration for Terry during the 45-minute livestream this morning, Sakurai played as Terry in Classic Mode on the highest difficulty and just steamrolled through the competition to clear it at intensity 9.9. "As you can see, the battles are now starting to get pretty tough." *proceeds to systematically KO the next 3 fighters while his own HP barely goes below 100*